Thread: Fruit Flies Everywhere!

fluffypanda

Default Fruit Flies Everywhere!

I know theres a lot of dart frog owners on this. Im sure everyones had this problem.. How do we get rid of the flies that have gotten out of the tanks? I put out cups of apple cider. someone suggested that on Dendroboard. what do you guys do to get rid of the extra flies?
    thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ToadPaparazzi

Are your flies escaping when you are putting them in a dust cup? I usually only get mass escapees when in not careful when transferring flies from cultures to a dust cup.

I do get some rogue flies that escape the vivariums but not enough to be a problem.

Some people set up "feeding stations" in their tanks by placing a slice of banana for the flies to congregate... I don't do this though... I want my frogs to hunt for their food.

My frog room is my bedroom and I have 13 vivariums all containing dart frogs. I like to vacuum after feeding to catch any flies that escaped during feeding.

fluffypanda

Default Re: Fruit Flies Everywhere!

I occasionally have one or two escape when I move them from the culture to the dust cup. When I do drop them I kill them or scoop them into the cup.

Most escape from the Vivs I'm assuming. but all of them have their lids completely saran wrapped. I guess some could still get out between the taped parts. I think the main tank to blame is the Zoomed tank. I think they escape from the front vent. Ive seen people block this but i don't want to have to take apart that viv. could i just put electrical tape on it?

I do vacuum but not after every feeding and they have a million places to hide from the vacuum. And it doesn't help to have tortoise food, crested gecko food, and meal worm food in the same room....

But good news! The apple cider vinegar seems to be working. I've caught around 15 so far. we've got many to go though...

KingCam

Default Re: Fruit Flies Everywhere!

When I'm dealing with fruit flies in my kitchen I buy those super cheap fly tape things that hang from the ceiling. I hang them and stick a piece of strong smelling fruit in the little cardboard roll at the bottom of the tape. Something like mango or canteloup. The fruit smell draws them in towards the tape, and eventually they either land on it or run into. It is very effective in my kitchen, never tried it in my animal room.

Thread Information