Thread: I think my terrarium's wrong

Mrw7749

Default I think my terrarium's wrong

My last terrarium was a fish tank, turned on it's side so it was tall but not very wide, I had a real estate sign that had been cut to the correct size for a door, (Which was located on the side of the tank) and a big hole in the middle of that door which was covered with a very fine mesh to let air circulate. I would have to spray my tank everyday as it had very low humidity because of the circulation.

I recently upgraded to a proper frog tank (according to the people at the local pet shop). It looks like a normal glass tank but it has a piece of glass running down the middle so the tank is divided into 2 sections, one dry, one wet. The wet is 100% water and the dry is just a substrate. The new tank has a glass lid that has a 1-2mm gap around the edges to let in air. But since i have moved my frogs in the humidity has increased so much I havnt had to touch my spray bottle at all.

Should i change the lid? Or let it air occasionally?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

StephenLS

Default Re: I think my terrarium's wrong

I'd be tempted to re-assess the lid situation and include some method of allowing air to circulate - it will help keep the environment fresh and stop the air / water from stagnating.

Plastic sheeting is easy to cut and drill!

In addition you could use an aquarium airpump to help get things moving in the interim!

Ta

Steve

Kurt

You definitely need to improve ventilation in that tank. In the long term, a treefrog cannot survive in that tank the way it is.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi there, I would certainly let the Pet shop you bought it from know the situation as well as they maybe telling others the same thing and they may not know any different. They may even have an alternative terrarium for you.

Thread Information