Thread: How often should I change the bedding

DorkiTimmy

Default How often should I change the bedding

As tittle says how often should I change the coconut fiber or can I just use the same one for a while how long?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How often should I change the bedding

About every four weeks. Some people say longer than that, but I prefer changing it every 2-4 weeks depending on the frog. You must spot clean of course too.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree. I change my pacman frogs' substrate around the first of every month.

My retf tank has a false bottom, so I only change their coco fiber every 3 months or so.

Most certainly change it sooner if it has any foul odor. I have found that turning the substrate in my PAC frog tanks helps. It aerates the underneath layer and redistributes the moisture more evenly, rather than having soppy wetness at the bottom of the tank. The coco fiber should always have a nice, fresh earthy scent.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

KingCam

That really depends on a few factors.

1) How big & messy is your animal?
    2) Is the substrate "living?"

When I say, is it living, I mean do you have plants growing directly in it? Do you have tank janitors like springtails or terrestrial isopods? I plant stuff directly in my substrates, and then I introduce springtails & sow bugs to clean up mold, waste, etc. I spot clean by taking out large droppings, and I rely on my tank janitors and plants to make use of whatever other waste products end up in the substrate. Using this method I only change my substrate once or twice a year. I just run my fingers through it and smell it to guage how dirty it is. If it smells nice and earthy (like Heatheranne mentioned) after a few months that means the tank janitors are doing their job and the substrate is filled with beneficial bacteria. If the substrate smells foul that tells me the tank janitors aren't able to keep up and I need to manually change the substrate and start over.

If your substrate is not living I would change it every 3 months or so, like Grif suggested. Like heather said, stir it up every once in a while to help keep it fresh.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, my springtails and wood lice (roley poleys) are a great help in my bigger vivariums, and I have no visible mold .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Pacman Frogs don't do well even in vivariums do to them urinating so much. They can cause themselves to his out from how much ammonia will be releases into the soil and live plants and Springtails aren't enough to fully prevent this buildup. They are best kept in simple setups that are cleaned on a regular basis. No less than once a month. Trust me! They urinate A LOT!!!

8. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Ra

Nationality
    [United States]

Haha! Yes they do. My pacs, like Grif's, are in simple set-ups with just substrate, water bowls and a few plants and decorations. It makes things easier to clean.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    That really depends on a few factors.

1) How big & messy is your animal?
    2) Is the substrate "living?"

When I say, is it living, I mean do you have plants growing directly in it? Do you have tank janitors like springtails or terrestrial isopods? I plant stuff directly in my substrates, and then I introduce springtails & sow bugs to clean up mold, waste, etc. I spot clean by taking out large droppings, and I rely on my tank janitors and plants to make use of whatever other waste products end up in the substrate. Using this method I only change my substrate once or twice a year. I just run my fingers through it and smell it to guage how dirty it is. If it smells nice and earthy (like Heatheranne mentioned) after a few months that means the tank janitors are doing their job and the substrate is filled with beneficial bacteria. If the substrate smells foul that tells me the tank janitors aren't able to keep up and I need to manually change the substrate and start over.

If your substrate is not living I would change it every 3 months or so, like Grif suggested. Like heather said, stir it up every once in a while to help keep it fresh.
    Are you talking about a pacman frog set up?

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    Are you talking about a pacman frog set up?
    I'm talking about any setup with a bioactive substrate and live plants. But apparently pacmans pee too much to make bioactive substrates a good choice? Meh, I'll stick with my treefrogs XD

Nationality
    [United States]

Haha! I have some of both, so it made sense to me.

13. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Thread Information