Thread: hole in claw?

emberlisa

Default hole in claw?

Omg! One of my frogs has a big hole and a smalle hole in the webbing on its back foot. Where would a hole come from? What do I do? Should I put it by itself? Its in a tank with 2 others atm.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: hole in claw?

It probably came from one of your decorations. I don't think you need to seperate it from the other frogs, but you should take out any abrasive, hard, or sharp decor including plastic plants.
    Any chance you have a pic?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I agree with Tony about removing any sharp objects from the tank. These frogs, if kept properly heal themselves remarkably. Keep an eye on the wound. If it becomes discolored, you can put the frog in a dry tank, swab a drop of Bactine on the torn webbing and let dry for about 5 minutes and place back in the tank. Yes, these frogs can be taken out of the water for a short period without any problems (as long as the skin stays moist, you can use a mist sprayer). In the wild, these frogs are known to migrate a mile or more across land to populate new ponds. Personally, I don't think your frog will be needing any medication
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

emberlisa

Hi. I couldn't get a picture that showed the injury. She is a fast swimmer and doesn't like to stay still! The 2 holes seem to be healing up on their own. However, the other claw has a similar hole, which i assume will heal up as well. i really don't have anything in the tank for her to have gotten caught on. i have marbles on the bottom, a filter and 2 other frogs in there with her and that's it.

Nationality
    [United States]

That is weird. There has to be something causing that to happen.

emberlisa

I agree, it is weird. The 2 holes basically healed up over the last few days, now they look like scars. The hole on the opposite claw appeared yesterday and hasn't healed yet. Could the frogs be fighting? Maybe it got caught in the filter? I almost want to blame it on poor nutrition bc there's no variety, but i think the floating reptomin sticks with calcium should be sufficient...

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't think that these frogs really fight, I've only seen them use their claws against large chunks of food or to shed their skin .. how big is the tank? I try to feed my frogs some variety but reptomin seems sufficient from what I've seen and my frogs diet consists 50% of it at least.

emberlisa

i don't think its due to fighting either, they all seem to like each other. the 3 of them are in a 10 gallon. however, i have 2 males in another 10 gallon and they seem to fight and chase each other around a lot.

Nationality
    [United States]

I think there is your problem. 10 gallons is just too small for 3 frogs. You are probably suffering from water quality issues. Would you be able to upgrade to a 20G Long? They are not very expensive and would house 3 frogs but I would not add another.

Also what is your filtration? You'll want at least 2x filtration (so 40g of filtration on a 20g tank if not more).

Do you test your water? ACF are sensitive to water quality just like fish. Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate matters, do you have a test kit?

emberlisa

Oh my! I was thinking it was ok because they're small and not fully grown yet. Is 2 in a 10 gallon ok? i have 20g filtration. I don't have a test kit. Do they sell them at petco or walmart?

Nationality
    [United States]

You can probably get away with small juveniles in a 10g but as they get bigger the problem of not enough water will exasperate.. I was keeping three juveniles in a 20g tall without much issue. Honestly most problems with xenopus is going to come from water quality. Petco would certainly have test kits.. I would pick up an API Master kit or at least the Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate kit.. I would also pick up a 20g long because I am 100% sure keeping 3 frogs in 10g is bad news.. 10g is barely adequate for one adult ACF.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I agree with Michael. Especially after reading your other thread. You have got to get your house keeping and husbandry under control.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by emberlisa View Post
    Oh my! I was thinking it was ok because they're small and not fully grown yet. Is 2 in a 10 gallon ok? i have 20g filtration. I don't have a test kit. Do they sell them at petco or walmart?

http://aqadvisor.com/
    is a great site for understanding how much capacity your tank is suitable for and how much filtration is needed for your stock..

I ran your set up through it and see the results. This is a 10g tank with 3 ACF and 20g of filtration as you can see, it is grossly overstocked and inadequate.

Everyone makes mistakes though I understand but please do upgrade as soon as you can for frogs sake!

Recommended temperature range: 20 - 24 C. [Display in Farenheit]
    Recommended pH range: 6 - 8.
    Recommended hardness range: 5 - 20 dH.
    Warning: You NEED to add more aquarium filtration capacity!!!
    Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 47%.
    Recommended water change schedule: 93% per week. (You might want to split this water change schedule to two separate 73% per week)
    Your aquarium stocking level is 191%.
    Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended. [Generate Image]

emberlisa

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    I agree with Michael. Especially after reading your other thread. You have got to get your house keeping and husbandry under control.
    your comments are so rude. you don't know what's been going on, who are you to judge?

emberlisa

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post

http://aqadvisor.com/
    is a great site for understanding how much capacity your tank is suitable for and how much filtration is needed for your stock..

I ran your set up through it and see the results. This is a 10g tank with 3 ACF and 20g of filtration as you can see, it is grossly overstocked and inadequate.

Everyone makes mistakes though I understand but please do upgrade as soon as you can for frogs sake!

Recommended temperature range: 20 - 24 C. [Display in Farenheit]
    Recommended pH range: 6 - 8.
    Recommended hardness range: 5 - 20 dH.
    Warning: You NEED to add more aquarium filtration capacity!!!
    Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 47%.
    Recommended water change schedule: 93% per week. (You might want to split this water change schedule to two separate 73% per week)
    Your aquarium stocking level is 191%.
    Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended. [Generate Image]
    That is a great site, thank you! I think I may need to give some of these frogs away asap.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by emberlisa View Post
    your comments are so rude. you don't know what's been going on, who are you to judge?

I can't believe this is where this is going. I don't know what was "so rude" about my previous statements. First of all you asked questions about issues your frogs have been having. If it is rude to hear you have not been taking care of them then do not come on here asking for solutions and trouble shooting advice because if the cause of your frogs' problems is your lack of providing proper care for them then you will hear about it.
    Secondly how was I suppose to be sympathic to your problem/ accident when I did not know about it? This thread is about your frogs' issues. If you wanted personal sympathy you should have mentioned you had things going on and you knew you have not been providing proper care for your frogs and wanted to know how to get back on track, but you came off like you had absolutely no clue why your frogs were having issues.

Thread Information