Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, Whistling tree frog Sick?

jtay

Default Help, Whistling tree frog Sick?

Hi all,
    Today I thought I had better look for one of my two Whistlers (Litoria ewingii) for I had not seen it as much as the other. I found it alive under some moss, it hopped when I nudged it, but then lay with it's back legs stretched out and did not want to use them. I put it in some water wondering if perhaps it was dehydrated, and it did not try to move. I removed it out of the water and it sat on my finger, still with it's back legs out. After a minute or two it pulled them in. I have put it in quarantine and it appeared ok. After a few hours it still has not moved far from the spot I placed it down and has just started what seems to be gasping - opening it's mouth wide. He has no real interest in eating the fruitflies around him. I'm very worried. There are no abrasions or discolourations on the skin... My other Whistler is perfectly fine missioning around their terrarium. Perhaps he got a bit crushed but I would expect to see some abrasion or deformity. Oh he is a little darker in colour. He is about 8 weeks old - very small!
    Anyone have any idea as what could be/cause the problem?
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

jtay

Default Re: Help, Whistling tree frog Sick?

He has moved and has appeared to have stopped gasping, yay! Things are looking better

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Jess, Welcome to the forum.

I would keep a close eye on your frog just to be sure. Is he eating? If so then its probably OK. It may have gotten a fright and gone into a sort of shock state. I have heard of this happening. I have a neighbor who has a young Southern bell that used to go into a seizure type state for a few seconds when its desturbed out of hiding. Ive seen it happen and it really worried me, Its legs were stretched out like you said your frog did but it was also twitching. It had done this about 5 times in the first 2 months as a frog,but that was quite a few months ago and its doing fine now without seizures. Growing and eating well too.

How many Whistlers do you have? I also have Whistlers and I love them to bits.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Welcome to the forum, Jess. It does sound like it was shocked. This "freezing" of the body is a reflex. Ebony is our Whistling Tree Frog expert so I will defer to her .
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

jtay

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Hi Jess, Welcome to the forum.

I would keep a close eye on your frog just to be sure. Is he eating? If so then its probably OK. It may have gotten a fright and gone into a sort of shock state. I have heard of this happening. I have a neighbor who has a young Southern bell that used to go into a seizure type state for a few seconds when its desturbed out of hiding. Ive seen it happen and it really worried me, Its legs were stretched out like you said your frog did but it was also twitching. It had done this about 5 times in the first 2 months as a frog,but that was quite a few months ago and its doing fine now without seizures. Growing and eating well too.

How many Whistlers do you have? I also have Whistlers and I love them to bits.
    Hi Ebony,
    Thanks for the advice. My frog seemed to be doing well but then an hour ago I noticed he was lying with legs stretched out again. I picked it up and is still alive. Not eating - well not when I'm looking anyway. Very lethargic, I'm thinking it may die soon .
    I have 2 Whistlers, my second pair now. I have found them difficult to care for. I'm not sure why as I provide them with a lovely, clean, safe environment with all they could need. This is the second one that has got sick for no apparent reason, I have only had this one for about 2 weeks - perhaps the pet store does not have healthy ones?
    My Green and golden bell frogs are great (had them for over a year now) so I don't think it is anything I have done wrong.
    Since you have Whistlers could you outline to me what they require? There is not much information out there that I can find about keeping them as pets.
    Thanks

jtay

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Jess. It does sound like it was shocked. This "freezing" of the body is a reflex. Ebony is our Whistling Tree Frog expert so I will defer to her .
    Thanks John, I had hoped it was just surprise/shock but behaviour has continued without provocation - me annoying it

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by jtay View Post
    This is the second one that has got sick for no apparent reason, I have only had this one for about 2 weeks - perhaps the pet store does not have healthy ones?
    It's a distinct possibility.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi Jess, Im sorry to hear your frog is not doing well. It sounds like your frogs were purchased with problems as you have only have them a short time. What is the frogs colouring like? Is there any thing different?

Im in no way an expert on these frogs. Ive had these guys for a few years and Ive been lucky and they have breed. I keep mine in an outdoor enclosure. Very old unatractive enclosures but what the whistlers like for breeding. They are in two large tanks that are joined together with a tunnel which separates the land and the water. Their tank is situated in a place that has about two hours of sun each day and is filtered through a hedging archway. I will put up some photo's for you tomorrow as its dark outside now.

I feed them every day. They get a variety of food...Meal worms, Moths, Locusts, Flies, young Katydids. I give them enough for two helpings each.

I'll get back to you tomorrow on the tanks photo's.
    I hope this may have helped a little.

jtay

Thanks Ebony.
    Unfortunately my frog died last night. I'm thinking perhaps it was a parasite for I cant think what else could have caused it to get sick. My other one is fine, currently climbing up the back wall. They are so small so the only food I have feed them is wingless fruit flies - being smaller than their heads. I will get some white worms for my remaining one as it must be bored of just fruit flies and I do what to provide it with a varied diet.
    I think I'll get a tadpole and raise it myself so I know it will have that best start to life, and so my other one has a friend.

Kerry1968

So sorry to hear about your frog.

jtay

Thankyou

MichFrog

Wish you all the best with raising your own from the start, sorry about your wee frog.

Kurt

Sorry about your frog, I know how much this totally sucks (see the Eurycea lucifuga thread for my situation)

That being said, I don't thing your frog would be sick of eating fruit flies. If it is not eating them chances are he is sick too. Sorry to be bringing any more bad new.

Ebony, you are the expert here on Litoria ewingii. I only know this frog from books and suspect John will say the same. So like it or not, your one up on all of us when it comes to this species.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Jess, Im so sorry your frog has died. It isn't your fault. I think your right, raising frogs from tadpoles is a better way. That's what I did, and the one time I bought a frog from the pet shop caused me allot of grief.

So has your second frog stopped eating? If so then Kurt will be right, Its most likely sick.

If you have trouble finding tadpoles let me no. Im not prepared to send Tadpoles but I can send you 2 frogs. I have some that morphed about 2 months ago. I would be happy to send them to you free of charge, but you would have to pay for postage which isn't cheep for over night courier. I think its about $29.80. Let me know how you get on.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Ebony, you are the expert here on Litoria ewingii. I only know this frog from books and suspect John will say the same. So like it or not, your one up on all of us when it comes to this species.[/QUOTE]

Kurt: OK, I see. I will certainly do my best when the time arises.

jtay

No the other one is still eating, I just want to make dinner more interesting and nutritious.
    Thank you so much for the offer Ebony. I'll consider it if i can't get any tadpoles.
    Thank you everyone for the condolences - it really sucks but I'm glad to know it's most likely not my fault

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Glad your other frog is still eating, that's a very good sign. Your other frog may no have died of something contagious but I would do a thorough clean out of your enclosure just to be sure.

This is a photo of my old breeding tanks but the whistlers only like to breed in these. This photo is from last season as Ive not had time to sort a new one. The plants have grown allot since last year so the land area is full of greenery now. Oh and excuse the old BBQ, I just haven't got around to getting a table for them This photo would have been taken around the time they breed last year. see the tunnel between land and tunnel. these tanks are 5 years old. I was proud of them at the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

jtay

That looks really cool! Is it outside all the time? I have mine in an exo terra terrarium inside.
    I took the moss out yesterday and will clean out the enclosure tonight after my test at uni.
    Here are pics of mineName:  Frogs web.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0002.JPG
Views: 3160
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0003.JPG
Views: 867
Size:  43.4 KB

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Very nice Jess.That's a great set up. Those enclosures are perfect for inside. I have three of these tanks (to my partners disgust) in my lounge for my young whistlers, young Southerns and the largest is for Mork and Mindy, my young Green and Golden's. You can see them in my album. I would love to see some photo's of your frogs, you said you had Green and Golden's as well, how old are they?

jtay

Thanks. I have had my pair of green and golden for just over a year now, I got them as tadpoles. They were just torturing themselves looking at the Whistler and scampered when I opened the door to give them caterpillars-silly ones. I have searched and found some pics but they are not the best.
    Oh yeah, they are due for a terrarium upgrade as they are too big for their current one now. I have got them an explorarium so they can play outside on nice days
    Name:  IMG_0007.JPG
Views: 1185
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  100_1015.JPG
Views: 403
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  PIC_0049.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  23.5 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information