Thread: New member of "Pac" and my pacman setup pics

Pluke

Default New member of "Pac" and my pacman setup pics

Ok guys, I got another pacman froglet at yesterdays reptile show. Just thought I'd share some pictures of him, seeing as I have a few questions anyway.. for clarification.

I believe this is a Cranwelli, but the guy I bought him from was kind of confusing.. I don't think he had a clue of what he was talking about. He said that he hadn't seen a real "Cranwell" in a long time, yet he was selling what I thought to be a Cranwelli, lol. I don't know if I'm wrong or he is, I'm kinda of guessing him. Would you guys say this is a cranwelli?

Name:  Picture 034.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  30.3 KBName:  Picture 033.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  30.2 KBName:  Picture 031.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  95.2 KB

I'm really happy with this guy and his coloring is great but I'm pretty damn mad about the conditions I got him in. I saw it and chose to buy him, but it didn't seem that bad until I got out in the car and took a closer look on the way home. He was kept on some watered down sphagnum moss, which seems to be the norm when getting these.. BUT.. I don't think it had been changed in quite a while. It stank like OATMEAL and had little maggots crawling around in it and on my frog. It was disgusting, the poor little guy. Not to mention I'm pretty sure he's impacted.. he has a hard lump on each side of his stomach, so I've given him 1 honey soak yesterday after he got home and tonight. No poop yet, I hope everything comes out alright for him. He hasn't moved much in his tank, but he has taken a tiny hornworm from my tongs, which I was happy to see. There were some other pacmans that this guy had that looked in bad condition. Keep in mind, they're all quarter sized, one of these frogs looked like it swallow a damn pea or something, it had a huge lump on it's right side.. I mention to the guy that this particular frog "might" be impacted and he said "Oh i just let them feast because they'll be on the road and won't eat for a week.." ...I was dissapointed but I wasn't about to argue with him, since I'm no expert. I just go by what I've seen on these forums and to me, that frog compares 100% to the frog impaction pics I've seen here. I chose the healthiest looking frog only to find out that he is probably impacted too. -_-

Now here are some pics of my pacman setups, the last of the pics is my tomato frog setup. (yes it needs a background, i just set it up yesterday, it's coming.)

Name:  Picture 032.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  55.2 KB Two five gallons, new frog is on the left and my albino on right. Hornworms on middle shelf, dubia's and crickets on bottom. 10 Gallon on little table to the right.
    Name:  Picture 036.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  82.0 KBThis is the 10 gallon with my Green Cranwelli.
    Name:  Picture 035.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  52.1 KBClose up of the 5 gallons, not a good pic but oh well you get the idea.
    Name:  Picture 037.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  53.1 KBMy tomato frog tank, homes 3 small silver dollar sized tomato frogs. They are quite active so I upgraded them.

Hope you guys approve of my setups. And tell me what you think about my new guy, thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New member of "Pac" and my pacman setup pics

Its a Cranwelli. Those conditions are inexcusable!!! If you believe the little gut is impacted you don't want to feed him anymore until he passes the impaction. Feeding him will make it worse. A good way to do the honey baths is to perform the honey soak and and then prepare a second bath with just Luke warm de-chlorinated water and place the frog in as the honey bath cools. As the second bath cools have his water dish contain Luke warm de-chlorinated water and place him back home in his water dish.

This technique is affective and works well.

Edit; Meaning the conditions that the frog was kept in before you purchased him.

Pluke

Thanks grif, that is what I did with the last frog I bought that was impacted and it worked, (s)he used the bathroom within a couple of days after starting the soaks. I won't feed this little guy anymore and I haven't fed him since the hornworm. Maybe the hard lumps I'm feeling on him are actually just food, but I'm not going to take that chance. I'm not feeding him until I find poop. He almost looks kind of pointed on his sides when positioned right. You can actually see it in the third pic of him, the above shot. Both sides have a hard lump.. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Other than the complaints of impaction and the disgusting mess he came in.. I'm really happy with this frog, I love it's subtle red and of course he has a personality of it's own.. or maybe it's just my imagination.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    Thanks grif, that is what I did with the last frog I bought that was impacted and it worked, (s)he used the bathroom within a couple of days after starting the soaks. I won't feed this little guy anymore and I haven't fed him since the hornworm. Maybe the hard lumps I'm feeling on him are actually just food, but I'm not going to take that chance. I'm not feeding him until I find poop. He almost looks kind of pointed on his sides when positioned right. You can actually see it in the third pic of him, the above shot. Both sides have a hard lump.. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Other than the complaints of impaction and the disgusting mess he came in.. I'm really happy with this frog, I love it's subtle red and of course he has a personality of it's own.. or maybe it's just my imagination.
    Each individual frog does have its own personality. You're not imagining that.

Pluke

Haha, yah. I just threw that in because some people, surely not the people here on these forums, but SOME people would think I'm crazy for looking at a frog and thinking it has personality. Some people just don't feel it/see it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, there is no scientific proof of them having any higher levels of brain function. They eat, sleep, and poop. This is why you will find that some people get very up in arms about anthropomorphism (giving human characteristics to an animal). The arguments get very heated, and that's not what I am trying to start. BUT from my own personal observation they each behave differently. They have different behavior patterns. They each have different "personalities." I can spend hours watching them because they are so fascinating! I love every one of my frogs!

On a different note, when your new frog does poop check for any signs of parasites. Chances are that if he/she was kept in such poor conditions he/she may have picked up parasites. Be on the lookout just in case. Keep us posted.

Pluke

Well, I just gave him another honey bath and now he's sitting in his water bowl in the tank. I'm noticing no difference in his appearance, as far as the lumps go. Before I got his honey bath ready I felt his left side a little bit to see if the bump's hardness has changed at all and he seemed really irritated when I touched it and then he opened his mouth for a second.. after I took my hand away he opened his mouth and looked as if he was pushing and trying to vomit something out.. How can this even happen? How could a froglet that's barely the size of a quarter ingest something that would cause him to react like this? He was kept in water down sphagnum, would that cause that bad of an impaction? Could he have been just reacting to me touching him? It didn't seem bothered by it at all before.. I'm hoping he was just thinking I was trying to feed him, which I want to do.. but not until I see some poop.

I'm about to write the guy I got him from a letter of complaint.. wonder how he'll handle that. I bought really healthy tomato froglets from him who are thriving.. but this frog, I just have a bad feeling about it, especially after seeing his other frogs and the condition this one was kept in.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, I just gave him another honey bath and now he's sitting in his water bowl in the tank. I'm noticing no difference in his appearance, as far as the lumps go. Before I got his honey bath ready I felt his left side a little bit to see if the bump's hardness has changed at all and he seemed really irritated when I touched it and then he opened his mouth for a second.. after I took my hand away he opened his mouth and looked as if he was pushing and trying to vomit something out.. How can this even happen? How could a froglet that's barely the size of a quarter ingest something that would cause him to react like this? He was kept in water down sphagnum, would that cause that bad of an impaction? Could he have been just reacting to me touching him? It didn't seem bothered by it at all before.. I'm hoping he was just thinking I was trying to feed him, which I want to do.. but not until I see some poop.

I'm about to write the guy I got him from a letter of complaint.. wonder how he'll handle that. I bought really healthy tomato froglets from him who are thriving.. but this frog, I just have a bad feeling about it, especially after seeing his other frogs and the condition this one was kept in.
    A froglet is really susceptible to impaction because nearly anything the ingest is too large to pass through their bowels if it is unable to be broken down. A severe impaction can cause them to try and vomit, but the do yawn with their mouth open really wide sometimes. Also bacterial infections or parasites can cause them to try and vomit. He was housed in disgusting conditions and is more than likely impacted and possibly sick.

Buy some Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) and some Unflavored Pedialyte. Prepare a Pedialyte bath at a 10 to 1 ratio. So for every 10 ounces of water add 1 ounce of unflavored Pedialyte. Add 2 scoops of the Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) to the Pedialyte bath. Make sure to use De-chlorinated water and that it is Luke warm. stir to dissolve the Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) in the bath. Just like the honey bath make sure its no deeper than up to his chin. Soak for 20 minutes and be sure to pour a little over his back while he soaks.

Do the same with this bath as the water cools like you do with the honey bath. Make a plain Luke warm de-chlorinated bath to rinse the Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) off in.

Pluke

Alright.. thanks Grif, looks like I'll be heading out to get those things tomorrow. He's back in his tank right now sitting there with his mouth semi-open. He opened it pretty wide for a few seconds while pushing again. It actually looks like the bump on his right side is bigger than the one on his left now. I think there has been SOME change, whether it's good or bad, time has yet to tell. Wish him luck guys. ><

Pluke

Well.. bad news. I'm pretty sure he's dead..

Either that or he's gone into complete shock, his eyes aren't responding to light and he's completely limp and lifeless. I swear he was choking on something, trying to push something out but couldn't.. you can see in the third pic of him there is a bump on each side of him and they almost line up like he swallowed a small stick or something.. like I said in my previous post, it had moved a little bit but he was gagging more.. sigh.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well.. bad news. I'm pretty sure he's dead..

Either that or he's gone into complete shock, his eyes aren't responding to light and he's completely limp and lifeless. I swear he was choking on something, trying to push something out but couldn't.. you can see in the third pic of him there is a bump on each side of him and they almost line up like he swallowed a small stick or something.. like I said in my previous post, it had moved a little bit but he was gagging more.. sigh.
    He probably ingested the dirty moss in the enclosure that guy was using and not only did it cause an infection, but more than likely caused him to become septic from a bacterial infection from ingesting the soiled rotting moss. Poor guy is more than likely in a better place now. You tried at least.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Pluke

Thanks Grif. I contacted the guy about the frog and what happened. I've bought frogs from him before and was really happy with them. I suggested to him that he changes the substrate he keeps them on while selling them.. I've ONLY seen people selling these babies on sphagnum moss, but wouldn't keeping them on wet paper towel with a little water be safer and cleaner even? That's what I suggested to him.. oh well. Hopefully I hear from him and he replaces the froglet atleast. This just bums me out.

Thread Information