Thread: Blue Dumpy?

1Dumpy

Default Blue Dumpy?

I just got my new dumpy 3 months or so ago! He is a green color, and I really want that blue color to come out in him, how do I do that safely? Thanks
    Name:  -4.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  68.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: Blue Dumpy?

You cannot force your frog to turn colors. It will change at its own will.

Also, I think the frog has to be born with the blue trait. If your frog is not already blue I don't think it can turn blue.

CamilleElise

Cam is absolutely correct on both fronts: (1) You can't make a frog change color, frogs change color based on mood, temperature, time of day, location, etc. I find that when I keep more than one, one tends to be green, the other brown; and (2) The blue coloration is genetic. If you didn't buy a blue strain Whites, then your frog will never be blue.

1Dumpy

Do you see any blue in mine? I see possibly a tiny bit! Please let me know! I just dont want him to look like a green tree frog with that green color I want a blueish, green so like turquoise.

1Dumpy

Do you think I have an Indonesian White's Tree Frogs

CamilleElise

I don't know enough about the different strains to be able to identify where your frog may be from. In fact, I think it's usually impossible to tell unless you are told by the breeder what strain of frog you have.

As far as the blue, it's always pretty obvious. I will attach a few pictures of the blue colored White's I had, Daphne.

But if yours isn't blue, don't worry about it. It doesn't make them a better or worse pet to be the green variety. They are absolutely stunning shades of green! My Dwight prefers a pale green while Desta & Dysis are sometimes the most vivid neon green. If you are set on getting a blue White's and have room for a second in your terrarium, my suggestion is to try to find a blue White's to purchase, but that will take a lot of patience as they are hard to come by.

Name:  DSCN0088.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  100.3 KBDaphne, my blue White's (RIP Daphne!)

Name:  DSCN0071.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0068.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0112.JPG
Views: 496
Size:  75.1 KBYou can see here, her vivid color. Dwight is on the left (green) Daphne is in the center (blue) and Dexter is on the right (brown). Daphne sometimes was green though, not always a blue shade. Just depended on her mood.

1Dumpy

Oh okay! I'm sorry about your loss he/she looked beautiful.

CamilleElise

Thank you. The vet & I still aren't sure what happened. She caught the weird respiratory thing Dwight had, but Dwight didn't get sick as quickly as she did, and he responded to medications. She also had something else as a whole mass developed in one side of her abdomen, but it wasn't impact. She was also urinating blood. It was so sad. One week she appeared healthy, within 1 week she couldn't open her eyes, and appeared to be in pain. I took her to the vet as quickly as I could get in, but we decided it was too late for her, she was in so much pain that we did the humane thing and had her put to sleep so she didn't have to suffer. I miss the beautiful girl, but she had a good, long, happy year with me. They are truly fragile creatures, but oh-so-wonderful pets.

Luckily, no one else seems to have suffered from what she has, she was quarantined the second she proved ill. Dwight was still in quarantine at that time, and as she got sicker, I would find him comforting her. He did this at least 3 separate times I saw. Attached is the picture of him comforting her with his hand on her head.

Name:  IMG_0552.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  69.8 KB

If this doesn't show the frogs are smarter/more compassionate/more feeling than most people give them credit for, I'm not sure what does. Also, Dwight was at the vet too when she was put to sleep, and he sort of started freaking out hopping around the cage like crazy after she was put to sleep even though the vet did it in another room. Luckily, he was cleared to rejoin the main tank that day so he is now with many friends, but it seemed clear to me that he sensed her loss.

1Dumpy

Awe, I am so sorry! I would like to get another at some point! But I am unable to quarantine them so I am not so sure about it.

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by 1Dumpy View Post
    I just dont want him to look like a green tree frog with that green color I want a blueish, green so like turquoise.
    I don't think that's a very healthy way to look at your pet. You don't like him just because he is green instead of blue? Then why didn't you buy a blue one instead? I like my frogs no matter what color they turn because they are awsome either way. I feel sorry for your frog if he's going to get neglected now just because he is green rather than blue

1Dumpy

Yup you nailed it, Because I said I don't like him? I said Ill neglect him. Post where I said that? All I said WAS that I would LOVE TO HAVE a turquoise one. Its different then neglecting, smart one. Thanks

Rae

If you are looking for a "blue phase" Whites make sure you are stating that when talking to breeders or sales reps. They are harder to come by and usually more expensive.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by 1Dumpy View Post
    I just got my new dumpy 3 months or so ago! He is a green color, and I really want that blue color to come out in him, how do I do that safely? Thanks
    Name:  -4.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  68.4 KB
    He's uber cute .
    Granted, I'm far from an expert on white's...but...what if you put something blue colored behind his tank, like a towel or a blue sheet of plastic, something for him to blend against, would his color alter slightly to match his surroundings or no?
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

1Dumpy

That's a good idea, not sure if it would work well though, haha. MY favorite color all my life has been turquoise that's why I wanted turquise but hes a beautiful green (atleast I think) So I will leave him alone (:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyM View Post
    He's uber cute .
    Granted, I'm far from an expert on white's...but...what if you put something blue colored behind his tank, like a towel or a blue sheet of plastic, something for him to blend against, would his color alter slightly to match his surroundings or no?
    that is not going to work as stated already they change colors based off temps humidity and time of day yes your will be considered a Indonesian in the pet trade and the blue ones are referred to as Australians.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by CamilleElise View Post
    Thank you. The vet & I still aren't sure what happened. She caught the weird respiratory thing Dwight had, but Dwight didn't get sick as quickly as she did, and he responded to medications. She also had something else as a whole mass developed in one side of her abdomen, but it wasn't impact. She was also urinating blood. It was so sad. One week she appeared healthy, within 1 week she couldn't open her eyes, and appeared to be in pain. I took her to the vet as quickly as I could get in, but we decided it was too late for her, she was in so much pain that we did the humane thing and had her put to sleep so she didn't have to suffer. I miss the beautiful girl, but she had a good, long, happy year with me. They are truly fragile creatures, but oh-so-wonderful pets.

Luckily, no one else seems to have suffered from what she has, she was quarantined the second she proved ill. Dwight was still in quarantine at that time, and as she got sicker, I would find him comforting her. He did this at least 3 separate times I saw. Attached is the picture of him comforting her with his hand on her head.

Name:  IMG_0552.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  69.8 KB

If this doesn't show the frogs are smarter/more compassionate/more feeling than most people give them credit for, I'm not sure what does. Also, Dwight was at the vet too when she was put to sleep, and he sort of started freaking out hopping around the cage like crazy after she was put to sleep even though the vet did it in another room. Luckily, he was cleared to rejoin the main tank that day so he is now with many friends, but it seemed clear to me that he sensed her loss.

I almost cried when i read your post!!!! OMG!! Very sorry for that loss but it was such a sad but inspirational thread post to read! THANK YOU!

Thread Information