Thread: Whites Tree Frog eyes.... HELP( Pictures included )

1Dumpy

Default Whites Tree Frog eyes.... HELP( Pictures included )

Hello! I just noticed my frogs eyes look a tad bit different!!! I had just recently cleaned the cage with vinegar to get the water marks off, I also just started using spring water in the spray bottle instead of tap( I still use tap in water dish. Do his eyes look weird??? He also isn't sleeping where he used to! I cant take him to the vet, as we don't have vets that except frogs around here. What could I do to help him out!!! Will it just heal on its own? Is he fine and I am just noticing something different. He could be perfectly fine I am just not sure. Thanks in advance

Name:  -2.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  54.1 KBName:  -2.jpg
Size:  54.1 KBName:  -4.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  68.4 KBName:  -5.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  105.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog eyes.... HELP( Pictures included )

hmmmmm... I don't really see anything that looks wrong. Do you have a photo of how the eyes looked previously so we can compare them? Everything you described sounds perfectly safe for your frog, as long as you didn't leave a bunch of extra vinegar in the cage when you were done.

1Dumpy

I just walked in and he was asleep! Here he is asleep is his eyelid normal looking?
    pName:  -6.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  57.6 KB

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by 1Dumpy View Post
    Noo way. It was my first time with vinegar so I scrubbed it to death!!! He is awake in that picture, let me go see if he is sleeping, it might look a little more obvious. Do you know anything that could be wrong!? I have to feed him tonight so if hes not eating then it will be very obvious that something is wrong!
    I dunno what could be wrong or if there is even anything wrong. Like I said, I can't really see anything to be concerned about in those photos, but maybe someone with more experience will have a differen opinion. You said they look different, so I just thought if we could see an old photo of how they used to look I could see what changed, if anything.

1Dumpy

Sadly, I don't have one! I think I might have sprayed a bit of water in his eyes. Maybe there just irritated from it!

KingCam

I think your frog is fine, just keep a close eye on him, and if anything changes take a photo and keep us updated so we can try to help. Good luck

CamilleElise

Like Cam, I don't think anything that concerns me with your frog's eyes. Just keep a close watch on your frog, and if your frog's other behavior starts to change (listless, lack of coordination, etc.) then you have cause to be concerned for sure. And yes, sleeping like that with the eyelid looks normal to me.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I think I see what is concerning you. Is it because the lower eyelid is up over the eye and the upper eyelid is not covering the eye? When I first saw my frogs sleeping like that it worried me too especially since the nictitating membrane was over the eye too. It's very freaky when we don't know much about them and they start doing things we aren't used to, but are perfectly normal for them. I agree with Cam and Camille your frog is fine.
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    I think I see what is concerning you. Is it because the lower eyelid is up over the eye and the upper eyelid is not covering the eye? When I first saw my frogs sleeping like that it worried me too especially since the nictitating membrane was over the eye too. It's very freaky when we don't know much about them and they start doing things we aren't used to, but are perfectly normal for them. I agree with Cam and Camille your frog is fine.
    ...I agree with the above. Your little guy looks wonderful. However, using tap water for your frogs soaking/water dish is not advised. Spring water is better, it lacks all the chemicals (chlorine, fluoride, excess vitamins) they add in our drinking water. Actually, spring water is better for US to. Man, the things they used to use fluoride for...frightening...
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by 1Dumpy View Post
    Hello! I just noticed my frogs eyes look a tad bit different!!! I had just recently cleaned the cage with vinegar to get the water marks off, I also just started using spring water in the spray bottle instead of tap( I still use tap in water dish. Do his eyes look weird??? He also isn't sleeping where he used to! I cant take him to the vet, as we don't have vets that except frogs around here. What could I do to help him out!!! Will it just heal on its own? Is he fine and I am just noticing something different. He could be perfectly fine I am just not sure. Thanks in advance

Name:  -2.jpg
Size:  54.1 KBName:  -2.jpg
Size:  54.1 KBName:  -4.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  68.4 KBName:  -5.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  105.1 KB
    You said you used tap water in bathing dish dish???? Am I the only one seeing an issue here or did I miss read? Use the springwater in the dish as well. Unless the tap water has been treated with something like Repti safe but I did not read that.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    You said you used tap water in bathing dish dish???? Am I the only one seeing an issue here or did I miss read? Use the springwater in the dish as well. Unless the tap water has been treated with something like Repti safe but I did not read that.

Rae, I somehow missed that in their original post. They do say that they use tap water in the water dish but doesn't say if it's treated or anything.

Dumpy, always use spring water or treated tap water. Also, if you are going to clean the tank with vinegar, you want to take the frog out first. They have very sensitive skin and the vinegar can irritate it. If you want to spot clean daily without taking the frog out, you can use distilled water (it doesn't leave streaks) and just wipe it out with a paper towel.
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Good catch. I didn't notice that either.

Rae

Yay me XD.... Do I get any Reputation boosts for that catch lol. But back to the post at hand . Tap water bad! (unless specially treated to be safe for our little reptiles! Also you don't need to clean with straight vinegar I use 50/50 ratio water and pure white vinegar for my glass and accessories. Then rinse it well with water and dry it.... or air dry. Make sure you can't smell the vinegar before placing him back in.

1Dumpy

Sorry for not clarifying, I use repti safe, its a green bottle. For the tap water, and for the spring I add a drop or two JUST TO MAKE SURE.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

*cough hack cough* I used untreated tap water for 6.5 years on my last frog because I didn't know any better. */cough cough hack.*

But yeah, he looks super healthy. All pretty and green and happy.
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyM View Post
    *cough hack cough* I used untreated tap water for 6.5 years on my last frog because I didn't know any better. */cough cough hack.*

But yeah, he looks super healthy. All pretty and green and happy.
    Were you on well water? And if it wasn't for this site I would have done the same lol

Thread Information