Thread: Adult Albino acting weird?!

rangerup85

Default Adult Albino acting weird?!

Ok heres another pacman frog won't eat story. Well I have an adult albino and her eating habits have been very strange since I have had her. (assuming she is a she do to the fact of a white under throat). Anyways this isnt my first rodeo with a pacman frog, I have one in the past and I have 2 of them now. Im looking for some help though because I have never had one with this strange of a eating habit. First off since I have owned her, she would only eat once a month to begin with. Now its who knows when?! She doesnt really go into hibernation, does not appear or shows any sign of illness, and hasnt lost any weight. The I have had the frog for a little over a year and have tried many things from various websites. I used to keep her in the house with a heating pad under the tank but do to the central air I now keep her and all my frogs in the garage. I live in the Georgia (U.S.) and the heat and humidity are perfect for them night and day. I have the coco substrate as well as some moss and I spray the tanks daily. The other day I had to force feed her some crickets with calcium D3, she ate them but she is a very large frog and Im sure that wasnt enough. Tried to force feed a mouse but she spit it out. Ive never had to force feed them before and she was fighting like she didnt want to eat but another site suggested that because she might be weak, but thats not the case, she is still a bull dozer so to say. Im not sure if its mating season for them or not, may thats why she isnt eating? I really dont know? My other pacman and pixi frog still scarf all their food down with no problem but they are still pretty young. If anyone out there can help please do. Also she has been only eating mice since I had her besides the crickets I have feed her. And I used to just drop the mice in her cage and she might eat em a day or so later but I dont like doing that cause mice can piss and and what not in the cage as well as fight so I prefer using tongs. Also have fed her frozen mice too but im not sure she cares for them much.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Adult Albino acting weird?!

Since you're feeding in-tank, you should take the moss out. It's a big impaction risk, especially when they aren't being tong fed.
    Also, are you using full size mice? Pacs shouldn't really get anything larger than pinkie mice, even as adults. The high fat content can cause problems like impaction, so they shouldn't be fed often. Also, when mice have fur this can potentially cause impaction. Mice old enough to bite or scratch your frog really shouldn't be allowed to run around in the tank at all... It takes awhile for them to get used to certain food items, but feeding something they aren't crazy about is better than risking them getting injured.
    Have you tried nightcrawlers? They digest really easily, and some frogs go crazy for them.

My guess is that your frog could be impacted or that it's metabolism might be thrown out of whack (sorry if I'm misreading, but it sounded like a lot of the frog has been eating a lot of mice). Can you feel a lump on the frog's right side? You might have to wait for it to pee first if it's a larger frog before you can tell. Try soaking the frog in lukewarm water with 3-4 drops of honey in it and see if it poos; if it's impaction that could solve it.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by rangerup85 View Post
    Ok heres another pacman frog won't eat story. Well I have an adult albino and her eating habits have been very strange since I have had her. (assuming she is a she do to the fact of a white under throat). Anyways this isnt my first rodeo with a pacman frog, I have one in the past and I have 2 of them now. Im looking for some help though because I have never had one with this strange of a eating habit. First off since I have owned her, she would only eat once a month to begin with. Now its who knows when?! She doesnt really go into hibernation, does not appear or shows any sign of illness, and hasnt lost any weight. The I have had the frog for a little over a year and have tried many things from various websites. I used to keep her in the house with a heating pad under the tank but do to the central air I now keep her and all my frogs in the garage. I live in the Georgia (U.S.) and the heat and humidity are perfect for them night and day. I have the coco substrate as well as some moss and I spray the tanks daily. The other day I had to force feed her some crickets with calcium D3, she ate them but she is a very large frog and Im sure that wasnt enough. Tried to force feed a mouse but she spit it out. Ive never had to force feed them before and she was fighting like she didnt want to eat but another site suggested that because she might be weak, but thats not the case, she is still a bull dozer so to say. Im not sure if its mating season for them or not, may thats why she isnt eating? I really dont know? My other pacman and pixi frog still scarf all their food down with no problem but they are still pretty young. If anyone out there can help please do. Also she has been only eating mice since I had her besides the crickets I have feed her. And I used to just drop the mice in her cage and she might eat em a day or so later but I dont like doing that cause mice can piss and and what not in the cage as well as fight so I prefer using tongs. Also have fed her frozen mice too but im not sure she cares for them much.
    ...you should never leave a live animal in the cage with your frog like that. Ive seen boa constrictors killed by rats, one eyed frogs...all kinds of nightmares.

Odds are if she is an adult and she isnt losing weight and you have been feeding near to or fully grown mice...she probably doesnt need to eat more than once a month. A mouse is pretty substantial for an adult frog.
    Also, different individuals may have different eating habits. If she isnt losing weight, why worry?

Try the Samurai Pacman food, its made for Pacman frogs and its cheaper than mice. Fish fillet dipped in calcium and vitamins like Repcal with D3 and Herptivite will also work. The trick is to gently but firmly tap the snout with the food item until they open their mouth allowing you to insert the food item. Or they bite it.

The problem with a diet of mainly mice is that the high fat content can cause lipid opacities, resulting in blindness and also the high vitamin A content of mice can keep proper amounts of calcium being absorbed resulting in MBD. Mice can be fed every now and again, but use pre killed and dip them in calcium with D3. The fur can cause constipation or impaction....
    So when was the last time she pooped? Soaking them in warm water, or warm water with honey in it (warm water, as in to the touch, but not hot obviously) but just warm water allways works for me. I place them in a terrarium with the warm water up to their butthole, and leave them overnight. The next day...poop everywhere.

rangerup85

hey thanks guys ill check for the impact as well as letting her soak in warm water with a couple drops of honey. i usually let her soak once a week or so in shallow water while letting her get some natural sunlight outside for about an hour at a time. also ive only dropped the live mouse in the cage maybe once or twice and i agree that i dont like it and should have not done it. also she does not have a problem pooping, when i cleaned her tank out last week there was one in there. also Ra i know your saying as they get older they tend to eat less and i understand that once a month is fine for her but she has gone 6 months without eating some times down to 3 months to every other month to once a month. maybe thats just how she does it since she mature. but ill be sure to pull her away from mice and my other 2 frogs as well but with them being so young still they also eat alot of crickets and little gold fish. i also noticed too that since i brought home the new packman frog which is a male, she has been more active esp at night. i have both their tanks next to each other and she always staring in there at him. but hes still a baby.

Nationality
    [United States]

If she's been pooping regularly, it's not an impaction. A nice soak still never hurts though, mine seems to really enjoy them.
    I would guess she'd start eating more regularly if she was on a mostly insect/worm diet... Just a warning though, try to stay away from goldfish or rosy red feeders. They have an enzyme called thiaminase in them that can keep many species from processing vitamins correctly and lead to some really nasty neurological problems. I'm just paranoid because I raise garters, and they are more sensitive to thiaminase than most species... I don't think they're as overtly bad for pacs, but it's just something I try to stay away from.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by rangerup85 View Post
    hey thanks guys ill check for the impact as well as letting her soak in warm water with a couple drops of honey. i usually let her soak once a week or so in shallow water while letting her get some natural sunlight outside for about an hour at a time. also ive only dropped the live mouse in the cage maybe once or twice and i agree that i dont like it and should have not done it. also she does not have a problem pooping, when i cleaned her tank out last week there was one in there. also Ra i know your saying as they get older they tend to eat less and i understand that once a month is fine for her but she has gone 6 months without eating some times down to 3 months to every other month to once a month. maybe thats just how she does it since she mature. but ill be sure to pull her away from mice and my other 2 frogs as well but with them being so young still they also eat alot of crickets and little gold fish. i also noticed too that since i brought home the new packman frog which is a male, she has been more active esp at night. i have both their tanks next to each other and she always staring in there at him. but hes still a baby.
    Nightcrawlers and Pacman food are both excellent staple diets.

Can you post pictures of your setup? Also, if a full grown frog is staring at a baby frog it is probably thinking of dinner not mating. It is a good idea to put background around three sides of the tank both to reduce stress and to keep them from seeing each other. If the are determined to attack the other frog, they will sometimes lunge at the glass repeated in an effort to get through. Also, just for reference, heating pads should never be placed under the tank with terrestrial frogs. They burrow down and can burn themselves. UTHs are placed on the side instead.

Pictures would be helpful.

Thread Information