Thread: Newbie question on substrate and plants for Gray Treefrogs

triskal

Default Newbie question on substrate and plants for Gray Treefrogs

My fother brought us a gray greefrog from northern WI for which my soms promptly setup a little habitat in a 10 gallong aquarium which has been used for a number of critters over the years. It seems to be doing OK. It has eaten some crickets from the pet store though this morning it appeared to be dead but has since perked back up.

I would like to setup a simple vivarium for it and have a question about the substrate and plants. I have read the the excellent article here a couple times. I don't want to spend a fortune and am glad to find that gray treefrogs are pretty hardy and since they are from northern climates I don't have to worry about maintaining a tropical temperature.

The article refers to additive-free soil. Where do you get that and how do you tell if it is additive free? I have some potting soil for plants but I think it has fertilizer mixed in so that is no good. Doesn't using soil become messy, especially when adding water?

I was also thinking about a brick of coconut husk but how do you use that? Do you wet the whole brick to let it expand and just pull out what you need or try to cut it first?

Then it seems a lot of recommendations are to add moss to the top which I was planning on doing.

Lastly for plants - I was thinking of using Pothos since it is readily available at the office and I could take a cutting to start a new plant. Do you generally plant it right in the substrate/soil? If so doesn't that make cleaning a pain with the roots into the substrate?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I am excited to try this and share it with my kids I just need some guidence to get started.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: Newbie question on substrate and plants for Gray Treefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by triskal View Post
    My fother brought us a gray greefrog from northern WI for which my soms promptly setup a little habitat in a 10 gallong aquarium which has been used for a number of critters over the years. It seems to be doing OK. It has eaten some crickets from the pet store though this morning it appeared to be dead but has since perked back up.
    Appeared to be dead how? Was it just not moving, or was it on it's back or something?

I would like to setup a simple vivarium for it and have a question about the substrate and plants. I have read the the excellent article here a couple times. I don't want to spend a fortune and am glad to find that gray treefrogs are pretty hardy and since they are from northern climates I don't have to worry about maintaining a tropical temperature.
    The temperature requirement for grey tree frogs is one of their many benefits. They are also very tolerant to humidity levels being lower than what most frogs would need to be healthy.

The article refers to additive-free soil. Where do you get that and how do you tell if it is additive free? I have some potting soil for plants but I think it has fertilizer mixed in so that is no good. Doesn't using soil become messy, especially when adding water?
    You will want to go with natural organic soils. I personally use cocofiber mixed half and half with organic peat moss. The cocofiber you can buy in compressed bricks online or at the pet stores. The organic peat you can pick up at home depots in huge bales in the summer for like $6. It's an incredible deal. Sphagnum peat moss can be acidic and harmful to your frogs skin if used straight. Tree frogs really won't spend much time in the substrate unless you cool them during the winter, in which case they will burrow into it (most likely).

I was also thinking about a brick of coconut husk but how do you use that? Do you wet the whole brick to let it expand and just pull out what you need or try to cut it first?
    You can try to cut it, but I just expand mine in a plastic tub and then just keep the extras in it with the lid on. That way I can use it as I need it and not have to worry about expanding it every time I need some.

Then it seems a lot of recommendations are to add moss to the top which I was planning on doing.
    It doesn't matter either way. Your frogs will be less messy if there is something covering the soil, though. I personally like to use dead oak leaves to cover the bottom of my enclosures. Moss is fine, too, but watch your frogs during feedings to make sure they aren't eating a bunch of it with their crickets. It may be a good idea to bowl feed or tong feed if you are going to have moss in there. I personally enjoy tong feeding just because it makes me feel more personally involved with my frogs.

Lastly for plants - I was thinking of using Pothos since it is readily available at the office and I could take a cutting to start a new plant. Do you generally plant it right in the substrate/soil? If so doesn't that make cleaning a pain with the roots into the substrate?
    Pothos is an excellent choice. Bamboo, english ivy, nerve plant, umbrella plant, and arrowhead plants are also common and make great tank plants. You'll want to rinse the soil of out the roots of any plants you get your frogs, then replant it in your additive-free substrate back in its pot. After a week of misting the plant with distilled water it will probably be safe to put in your vivarium.

Sorry for the newbie questions. I am excited to try this and share it with my kids I just need some guidence to get started.
    No need to apologize, that's what the forum is for I would encourage you to use the search function. All of these questions have been answered before and I'm sure you'll find answers to questions you have in the future also.

Good luck!! We'd love to see some photos of your new frog and his enclosure when you've got it finished!

triskal

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    Appeared to be dead how? Was it just not moving, or was it on it's back or something?
    I wasn't there but I heard from my wife that it was somewhat shriveled, not moving and breathing slowly. When I added the crickets last night I had taken out the water bowl to prevent them from drowning and forgot to add it back in. so I assume it was dehydrated. They put the water bowl back in and put the frog in there and it came back to live after a short while.

The organic peat you can pick up at home depots in huge bales in the summer for like $6.
    I have a bale leftover from gardening this summer so there should be plenty.

Pothos is an excellent choice. Bamboo, english ivy, nerve plant, umbrella plant, and arrowhead plants are also common and make great tank plants. You'll want to rinse the soil of out the roots of any plants you get your frogs, then replant it in your additive-free substrate back in its pot. After a week of misting the plant with distilled water it will probably be safe to put in your vivarium.
    I will look for these others. The nerve and arrowhead plants look especially interesting. Just to be clear, there is enough nutrients in the cocofiber/peat moss to feed the plants over time?

No need to apologize, that's what the forum is for I would encourage you to use the search function. All of these questions have been answered before and I'm sure you'll find answers to questions you have in the future also.
    I did search but didin't find what I thought I was looking for. As I get more familiar with this whole subject I will probably be better at knowing what search terms and combinations to use.

Thanks a bunch

KingCam

I wasn't there but I heard from my wife that it was somewhat shriveled, not moving and breathing slowly. When I added the crickets last night I had taken out the water bowl to prevent them from drowning and forgot to add it back in. so I assume it was dehydrated. They put the water bowl back in and put the frog in there and it came back to live after a short while.
    Yeah, make sure water is always available. You should also be misting your frog's tank in the morning and then again at night if the humidity is low. Mist with distilled water to prevent hard water spots on the glass

I will look for these others. The nerve and arrowhead plants look especially interesting. Just to be clear, there is enough nutrients in the cocofiber/peat moss to feed the plants over time?
    They'll live, they just won't grow super fast. When my frogs poop I use forceps to push the dropping under the soil into the plant's roots. The frog droppings will nurish the plant over time.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Want a cheap, easy to clean substrate? Look no further than your kitchen. White paper towels are the bomb. no impaction risk, easy to find doodie. The downside is, after a day or two they can grow mold and whatnot and start smelling funky. :\
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

Thread Information