Thread: Dusting alternatives?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Dusting alternatives?

I have some (pacman) frogs who apparently dislike the dusting, calcium/D3 and/or the vitamin powder. I am now using Rep Cal and Herpivite (sp?).

I have one frog that will not touch dusted worms. However, offer him a non-dusted worm and he'll eat it (they must smell the stuff).

I have another frog that seems to be very reluctant to eat now that I think is caused by him/her not liking the dusted food (nor pacman food, either). A couple of others definitely show more reluctance in eating another worm after being fed a dusted one.

On a good note, "the baby," who is only just over an inch long, has eaten 2 worm pieces for me 2 nights in a row, grabbed them from my tongs. I think it was because I finally moved him from a deli cup to a small Kritter Keeper -- had hesitated before because he just wasn't eating too well, but I think he was getting stressed in that small of space. Moreover, I had a little "chocolate" baby that was nickel sized when I got him that died 48 hours later who I put on substrate in a small Kritter Keeper if not a medium, don't remember -- didn't want this little one to die. He (the albino) is still on wet paper towels until he has been tong feeding well.

Anyway, for those frogs who don't like the dusting taste, is there any other suggestions to get the needed calcium and vitamins in that they need?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Namio

Default Re: Dusting alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by emandkel View Post
    I have some (pacman) frogs who apparently dislike the dusting, calcium/D3 and/or the vitamin powder. I am now using Rep Cal and Herpivite (sp?).

I have one frog that will not touch dusted worms. However, offer him a non-dusted worm and he'll eat it (they must smell the stuff).

I have another frog that seems to be very reluctant to eat now that I think is caused by him/her not liking the dusted food (nor pacman food, either). A couple of others definitely show more reluctance in eating another worm after being fed a dusted one.

On a good note, "the baby," who is only just over an inch long, has eaten 2 worm pieces for me 2 nights in a row, grabbed them from my tongs. I think it was because I finally moved him from a deli cup to a small Kritter Keeper -- had hesitated before because he just wasn't eating too well, but I think he was getting stressed in that small of space. Moreover, I had a little "chocolate" baby that was nickel sized when I got him that died 48 hours later who I put on substrate in a small Kritter Keeper if not a medium, don't remember -- didn't want this little one to die. He (the albino) is still on wet paper towels until he has been tong feeding well.

Anyway, for those frogs who don't like the dusting taste, is there any other suggestions to get the needed calcium and vitamins in that they need?
    How big are the frogs that dislike supplemental dusting on their food? You should spank them so they won't be picky at the dinner table!

But on a more serious note, I have noticed frogs dislike powder-like substance on their food item because it may remind them of dirt or other not-edible things.

If the frogs were bigger, say, 1 and a half or larger, you can first entice them to eat a longer piece of undusted nightcrawler while have the supplement ready at hand, and as soon as the frog bites and starts swalloing the nightcrawler you immediately dust the nightcrawler that the frog has not gotten to, yet. I'm well aware that this method will get limited amount of supplement to the frog, but you can always do this more often.

Good luck!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dusting alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    How big are the frogs that dislike supplemental dusting on their food? You should spank them so they won't be picky at the dinner table!

But on a more serious note, I have noticed frogs dislike powder-like substance on their food item because it may remind them of dirt or other not-edible things.

If the frogs were bigger, say, 1 and a half or larger, you can first entice them to eat a longer piece of undusted nightcrawler while have the supplement ready at hand, and as soon as the frog bites and starts swalloing the nightcrawler you immediately dust the nightcrawler that the frog has not gotten to, yet. I'm well aware that this method will get limited amount of supplement to the frog, but you can always do this more often.

Good luck!
    I've done this with Repta-Aid(Repta-Boost) when I couldn't get a frog to take a syringe. Maybe its the particular Calcium you're using. I do know that the Herptivite sometimes can be rejected because vitamins do have a taste and it isn't particularly a good one. I only dust parts of the feeders if they're worms. I use Fluker's Calcium Powder with D3. I never have any issues with them taking either though. You could buy some Pacman Food and use it as a supplement since it has a lot of vitamins and nutrition. You can add the calcium or multivitamin into the prepared Pacman Food powder and add the water. When you mix it everything will blend together. As long as you can get you frog to accept the Pac Food it will be supplemented.

Thread Information