Thread: Frogs With Broken Legs

randomGIR55

Exclamation Frogs With Broken Legs

When I went to my froglets tank I saw my gecko biting 1 and noticed that its leg was broken in 3 places(2 in the thigh 1 right below the thigh)so I made another terreruim (small and crappy with gravel bark to hide under and a water dish with a gravel dock)then checked the other froglets and another 1's leg was broken in 1 place(right below the thigh.Please tell me how to help them get well it is sad to watch them suffer.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

T3RR1B1L15

Default Re: Frogs With Broken Legs

What sort of frogs are they?

randomGIR55

small leopard frogs(just lost tail)

T3RR1B1L15

Quote Originally Posted by randomGIR55 View Post
    small leopard frogs(just lost tail)
    Are they still in the enclosure with the gecko? If so, separate them immediately.

What sort of gecko is it?

Is it the frog's front or hind legs that are broken?

Also, if you have any sort of camera, pictures would help.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Why are you housing frogs with Geckos?? You should never house different species together especially not frogs with reptiles. As froglets their really isn't anything that can be done. Separate them immediately. Make a hospital tank with only paper towels as substrate. Make the towels farely wet with Luke warm de-chlorinated water and keep a close eye on them. There really isn't anything you can do. Not even a Vet can set their tiny legs. It may be best to actually euthanize the poor little froglets so they don't suffer. Their legs will not heal properly and they will not be fast enough to catch food.

I'm very sorry, but this is probably the best thing you can do for them now. Ultimately it is your choice.

T3RR1B1L15

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Why are you housing frogs with Geckos?? You should never house different species together especially not frogs with reptiles.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Not even a Vet can set their tiny legs.
    I've heard of success with froglets of Colorado River toads and white-lipped tree frogs.
    I guess it just depends on the species.

T3RR1B1L15

In the meantime, why don't you try to locate a reptile/amphibian vet near you. Try using Google. I found an amphibian vet that way.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yeahhh....the only two species I've even heard of being housed together are those little 10 cent fish from Wal-Mart and Firebellied toads. Everything else? Nada. Animals aren't like us. If a small animal will fit in their mouth, they're probably going to eat it. Or the two will poison each other. Is it a Leopard Gecko? Some people think that just because two different species have similar names, mixing them is ok to do. It's not.

I'd take that last froglet(s? How many did you have?) and separate him from that gecko IMMEDIATELY. LIKE RIGHT FRICKIN' NOW.

Like the others said, froglet legs are too tiny to fix. You're either going to end up with lame frogs that you have to hand feed, or, you might do as Grif suggested and euthanize them.

If you go to get more frogs in the future, let this be a learning experience, no co-habitation between species ever again mmmkay?
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

randomGIR55

the gecko is a turkish gecko and they got along fine then they proboly fought over food but I kept 1 froglet inthere and its helthy and as big as my geckos head but right now theyre doing good but when the 1 with 3 injuries leg bent over its head .And griff theyre eating the fruit flies just letting them get close then ...WHAM! they get hit by the tongue.

T3RR1B1L15

Quote Originally Posted by randomGIR55 View Post
    the gecko is a turkish gecko and they got along fine then they proboly fought over food but I kept 1 froglet inthere and its helthy and as big as my geckos head but right now theyre doing good but when the 1 with 3 injuries leg bent over its head .And griff theyre eating the fruit flies just letting them get close then ...WHAM! they get hit by the tongue.
    I'd still consult a veterinarian just to be on the safe side. It's always best to seek professional help in this type of situation.
    Keep in mind that the nearest veterinary clinic to you probably doesn't do frogs...try to find a reptile or amphibian vet near you on Google.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by T3RR1B1L15 View Post
    I'd still consult a veterinarian just to be on the safe side. It's always best to seek professional help in this type of situation.
    Keep in mind that the nearest veterinary clinic to you probably doesn't do frogs...try to find a reptile or amphibian vet near you on Google.
    I second this post. Even if they appear fine now doesn't mean that they will be tomorrow or the day after that. The broken limbs can become infected and spread through the frogs body causing them to die. Seek a Herp Vet immediately.

randomGIR55

There out of there misery.=(

Thread Information