Thread: thinking of getting a new frog?

sezzalovesmj

Default thinking of getting a new frog?

hi my frog just died and im very upset i dont know how he died he was looking real good the last couple of nights but in the morning woke up to him in the water not upside down like my others were he looked in peace which is good. but what i wanted to ask was should i get a new one? and do 2 boy frogs get along with each other? and was thinking of getting green tree frogs this time what would i need for them? like how much water, plants? ect sorry all over the place just miss my boy heaps. thanks everyone for trying to help him. sarah

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rae

Default Re: thinking of getting a new frog?

I'm so sorry for your loss. if you are thinking of getting American green tree frogs... read the grey tree frog care sheet on this sight as there care and needs are the same. Shallow water dish so when they sit in it it is not over there heads, also should be big enough that both frogs if getting to can be in it at same time. I have an large Exo terra "feeding" dish as my water area its shallow and wide and my 3 greys love it and have tons of room. lots of perches, branches or plants.. fake or real. Pothos is a good and safe real one. I currently have alot of fake vines and accessories. Depending wear you are located and the temperature they may or may not need heating. Temp should be between 70'F to 80'F and humidity probably 60-70. With a water dish and daily misting it should be good.

sezzalovesmj

thankyou for your reply yes that helps alot, sorry just another question how do i heat up the tank like at night time? my frog that died had a water heater, but tree frogs dont need alot of water is that right? so yeah just wondering what to do with that thanks so much )

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Sarah,
    Sorry your frog died
    It takes a ton of research prior to purchasing any frog.
    You will gain addition information to add to your current experience by reading and collection absolutely as much general information about frogs as possible and even more specific information about the frog you are planning to keep. Think of it as a research project !!! Thank goodness for the internet! The more you learn the more prepared you will be for some of the problems that WILL arise and to deal w/ the conflicting information you WILL run into. I'm sure you know you don't want to re-use this enclosure without breaking it down and completely sanitizing it.

Also here is some information that will enable you to be prepared as possible moving for forward.

If you do not have a herp vet nearby ( able to care for frogs ) here is D Frye’s contact information. And a list of common “medicine cabinet” supplies that should always be kept on-hand when keeping frogs.

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html

If you ever have to email him, he will need the photos and detailed information regarding eating, pooping, housing. He will get back to you promptly. If you have the basics on hand you will be able to treat most of the common froggy problems w/out delay !!!

Additional first-aid information
    Frog Forum - Basic Frog First Aid

Hope this helps! Keep trying ..........but they , sadly, do not come with directions.
    If you need help w/ other great frog care links ( besides FF ) ...let me know. As I personally have a zillion links saved and very topically organized. A little OCD goes a long way !
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Rae

Every tree frog needs different care, temperature, humidity etc. But Yes generally Tree frogs don't need alot of water and having too deep of water "can" lead to drowning. They are not "as" good swimmers as other frogs. This is not saying if you have a larger water area that they will drown, but you are increasing the chances, make sure water area if deep and large has lots of sticks, rocks etc to climb out. I find it safer and easier to clean using a shallow dish.

I don't have any heat for my frogs at night.

This is taken from the grey tree frog care sheet (which I was told have the same temp needs as american green tree frogs:

Temperature: Probably varies with geographical origin. Southern specimens withstand highs in the late 30s °C (95+ °F). Vivarium: summer ~ 20-30 °C (68-86 °F), winter ~0-10 °C (32-50 °F). Survives periods of freezing solid (to -6 °C/21 °F). A very hardy species.

But I wouldn't recommend testing these limits. 70 to 80 during day... if it drops to 60 at night I wouldn't worry. I use Exo Terra Repti Glow 2.0 UVA/B bulbs in mine 12 watt in summer... 24 watt in winter But always have them off at night with no addition heat source. If needed they are low heat but my frogs love to sit up by them. I have perches and branches about 2.5 inches below the screen lid and light hood.

Rae

Name:  rae-albums-merry-grey-tree-frog-picture37714-sam-sees-merry.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  116.4 KBI thought I'd post a pic of the dish I use. As I mentioned before its actually a Large or Xtra Large "feeding dish" by Exo Terra I bought from Petsmart. The Feeding dishes are nice because they are shallower than the water ones. As you can see 3 of mine will easily fit without bugging the other. Greens are usually a bit bigger up to an inch longer than Greys. So it should still be enough for your 2 XD! Very quick and easy to change everyday too!

sezzalovesmj

thankyou Rae and Lynn for both of your information helps a lot. just have a question what do i need to use to sanitize his tank with? because D Frye couldnt help me at all beacause i live in australia he just sent me this: My state law forbids me from giving medical advice to or shipping medications to anyone outside of the United States of America. Sincerely,
    David M. Frye, DVM. yeah so thanks for everyones help and Rae thankyou for your picture of your feeding dish/water dish i will have to go out and buy one myself thanks

Rae

I use half water half white pure vinegar to clean everything then rinse it very well with hot water and let it air dry well before putting stuff back in... with cleaning the glass water and vinegar at 50/50 again and let it air out well before froggies go back in.

Kristen

Sorry to be a spoil sport, but they are illegal and we don't have any in Australia (accept for a possible few in the illegal pet trade). Only Australian natives can be kept (and seeing as though we are the only ones we have I think that works out fine haha)
    I remember from your other post you're in Vic. The frogs we can keep are

OFF LICENSE (Still can't be taken from the wild in any stage of life e.g. tadpole egg frog)
    Common Eastern Froglet Crinia signifera
    Eastern Banjo Frog Limnodynastes dumerilii
    Plains Froglet Crinia parinsignifera
    Southern Brown Tree Frog Litoria ewingii
    Spotted Grass Frog Limnodynastes tasmaniensis

BASIC LICENSE
    Blue Mountains Tree Frog Litoria citropa
    Brown Striped Frog Limnodynastes peronii
    Common Spadefoot Toad Neobatrachus sudelli
    Dainty Green Tree Frog Litoria gracilenta
    Eastern Dwarf Tree Frog Litoria fallax
    Giant Barred Frog Mixophyes iteratus
    Giant Tree Frog Litoria infrafrenata
    Great Barred Frog Mixophyes fasciolatus
    Green Tree Frog Litoria caerulea
    Haswell’s Frog Paracrinia haswelli
    Leaf Green Tree Frog Litoria phyllochroa
    Leseur’s Frog Litoria lesueuri
    Peron's Tree Frog Litoria peronii
    Southern Smooth Froglet Geocrinia laevis
    Water-holding Frog Cyclorana platycephala
    Whistling Tree Frog Litoria verreauxii

ADVANCED LICENSE
    Giant Burrowing Frog Heleioporus australiacus
    Green and Golden Bell Frog Litoria aurea
    Growling Grass Frog Litoria raniformis
    Magnificent Tree Frog Litoria splendida
    Northern Dwarf Tree Frog Litoria bicolor
    Orange Thighed Tree Frog Litoria xanthomera
    Red-eyed Tree Frog Litoria chloris
    Roth's Tree Frog Litoria rothii
    Southern Toadlet Pseudophryne semimarmorata

I'm assuming you already have a basic license (as it was needed to keep your previous frog) so look through the frogs on there and there might be one you like. )

Pluke

Name:  magnificenttreefrog.jpg
Views: 1877
Size:  34.5 KB Magnificent Tree Frog.. is truely Magnificient. How hard is it for you guys to get an advanced license down there? That Water Holding Frog is kind of cool, too. Reminds me of a Pacman, somewhat.

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    Name:  magnificenttreefrog.jpg
Views: 1877
Size:  34.5 KB Magnificent Tree Frog.. is truely Magnificient. How hard is it for you guys to get an advanced license down there? That Water Holding Frog is kind of cool, too. Reminds me of a Pacman, somewhat.
    Yeah it's gorgeous. Relative of the whites actually
    Hnestly not hard, just fill out a few forms, pay a few hundred dollars and hey presto! you have an advanced license.
    But you have to renew it each year so its a few hundred a year just for the license. Also whenever you get a new animal you have to put it in a kind of "log" thing you get with the person you got it froms license number and details, the animals number and details ect.
    haha sorta
    but haha trust me if we had pacmans here I wouldn't have any room in my house for the bed!

Pluke

Wow, You can't get pacmans in Austrailia...? How sad.

Rae

The 1st post mentioned getting a Green Tree Frog... But I was unsure if that meant American or Australian green. All my info has been about American Greens. Australian Greens also known as Whites or Dumpy need different care and temp then what I have posted.

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    Wow, You can't get pacmans in Austrailia...? How sad.
    We don't have anything here except natives. Which isn't that bad

nathlovesfrogs

Sorry for your loss he was a beautiful frog, hoping you will get another one soon

nathlovesfrogs

sorry one more question, didnt you say you wanted to get green tree frogs? not gray tree frogs? why dont you get the same frog you already owned that died? im not sure what breeds you have in Australia so yeah sorry, with my green tree frogs they are both babies they wont be the same as your giant frog you did have these are smaller and have no white lip so yeah you might fine you want the same frog? or you might want a change? and also you should wait for at least 2 weeks to get over the other one you seem very sad and shooked so dont rush into it to much if you need any help just email me nath

Thread Information