Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Tongue injury from biting tongs...

  1. #1
    100+ Post Member DVirginiana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,091

    Default Tongue injury from biting tongs...

    Last night I was feeding Trevor, and she clamped onto the end of the tongs and wouldn't let go. Normally if that happens she just spits them out and keeps the worm, but I guess she couldn't figure out a way to do that without letting go of the worm too. After a minute or two with the tongs in her mouth, she did the 'froggy narcolepsy' thing I've described in other posts where her eyes stop responding to light and she appears to pass out when she gets over-excited, and I was able to ease them out without her going nuts. She 'woke up' after about thirty seconds like she normally does when that happens. Even though it was like 4am I decided to soak her for awhile and monitor her, and she seemed fine and burrowed as soon as I put her back in the tank.
    She had only a very short section of the tongs in her mouth (like slightly less than a centimeter) but she was holding on to it REALLY tightly. When I got them out, I noticed a small amount of blood. It had to either be a tongue or gum injury (maybe even from her biting her own tongue which stuck out more when she passed out), so I'm not super worried about anything important being damaged.

    What do you guys think I should do as far as waiting to feed her again? I can't exactly open up her mouth to check the injury, but I'm thinking it isn't very serious. I just don't want an infection to start from getting food in a cut or something. She's been eating well, so she'd probably be able to go awhile without food if she needs to.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Tongue injury from biting tongs...

    Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Last night I was feeding Trevor, and she clamped onto the end of the tongs and wouldn't let go. Normally if that happens she just spits them out and keeps the worm, but I guess she couldn't figure out a way to do that without letting go of the worm too. After a minute or two with the tongs in her mouth, she did the 'froggy narcolepsy' thing I've described in other posts where her eyes stop responding to light and she appears to pass out when she gets over-excited, and I was able to ease them out without her going nuts. She 'woke up' after about thirty seconds like she normally does when that happens. Even though it was like 4am I decided to soak her for awhile and monitor her, and she seemed fine and burrowed as soon as I put her back in the tank.
    She had only a very short section of the tongs in her mouth (like slightly less than a centimeter) but she was holding on to it REALLY tightly. When I got them out, I noticed a small amount of blood. It had to either be a tongue or gum injury (maybe even from her biting her own tongue which stuck out more when she passed out), so I'm not super worried about anything important being damaged.

    What do you guys think I should do as far as waiting to feed her again? I can't exactly open up her mouth to check the injury, but I'm thinking it isn't very serious. I just don't want an infection to start from getting food in a cut or something. She's been eating well, so she'd probably be able to go awhile without food if she needs to.
    Its possible that when she bit down on the tongs that she broke the fibers that hold the upper teeth into the upper jaw bone. Almost like chipping a tooth only with the whole tooth coming out. The upper teeth are replaceable and only the tips are the actual teeth held to the lower section of the tooth being an actual part of the jaw bone. They are replaced kind of like shark teeth only instead of coming from a separate row behind the first, they grow out of the jaw where the fibers hold the tooth.

    Another possibility is that she did indeed bite her tongue which you'll want to be on the look out for swelling and infection. You should still try to feed her again because this is the only way you'll be able to see if the tongue was truly injured without prying open her mouth and having a look.

    Could also be a gum injury if she hit her mouth onto the end of the tongs.

    Another possibility is that it was blood from the worm. Believe it or not they do actually bleed and it is red. Especially when punctured or cut near the section where their eggs are kept and near their ten hearts. They die just as we do if bled out too. Its a far fetch, but could be very possible that it was the worm's blood and not hers.

    In any case keep an eye on her and go ahead and offer food.


  4. #3
    100+ Post Member DVirginiana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,091

    Default Re: Tongue injury from biting tongs...

    I wouldn't be surprised if she broke some teeth like you said with how long she held onto the tongs... I know she did bite her tongue, but I'm hoping she didn't bite it hard enough to bleed since the tongs were in there most of the time keeping her from clamping down completely on it.
    lol yeah, I have to chop nightcrawlers really small to convince my turtle to eat her vegetables. They always bleed all over the place when I do that. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the worm's blood, since I broke it off as soon as I realized there was a problem and only saw the blood after I finally got the tongs out.

    Gonna feed her again tonight and try and get a good look at her tongue then. She's probably glad I got a pro-feeding reply on here. Thanks for the suggestions, I kind of freaked out when that happened last night.

  5. #4
    Member motiszm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Provo, UT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    63
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Tongue injury from biting tongs...

    If you're worried about your frog getting hurt from biting down on the tongs then you might want to pick up some rubber coated ones. I decided to start using the rubber ones with my big female after she inhaled about 2 inches or so of steel . . . she was ok but it scared the you know what out of me. Now I have to fight to get the tongs out of her mouth but at least I know she's not going to impale herself on them.

  6. #5
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Tongue injury from biting tongs...

    Quote Originally Posted by motiszm View Post
    If you're worried about your frog getting hurt from biting down on the tongs then you might want to pick up some rubber coated ones. I decided to start using the rubber ones with my big female after she inhaled about 2 inches or so of steel . . . she was ok but it scared the you know what out of me. Now I have to fight to get the tongs out of her mouth but at least I know she's not going to impale herself on them.
    The key to using the metal tongs is to never hold the food item where the tips are pointed in the direction of the frog. Always hold them vertically at a slight angle away from the frog. This way the frog can't impale itself. Rubber tipped tongs are always a good idea though, but they are difficult to grip the food items with.


  7. #6
    Member motiszm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Provo, UT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    63
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Tongue injury from biting tongs...

    Yeah, they are harder to use, but I think it's worth it. I was using the tongs just the way that you described during the incident a few months ago, she still managed to inhale them. She likes to fly across the cage and attack food. Yes, she's a horned frog with wings! (I promise I don't give her red bull ) I will never complain about her feeding habits though because I love animals that want to eat!

  8. #7
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Tongue injury from biting tongs...

    Quote Originally Posted by motiszm View Post
    Yeah, they are harder to use, but I think it's worth it. I was using the tongs just the way that you described during the incident a few months ago, she still managed to inhale them. She likes to fly across the cage and attack food. Yes, she's a horned frog with wings! (I promise I don't give her red bull ) I will never complain about her feeding habits though because I love animals that want to eat!
    I use both types of tongs and I have a couple females that always manage to grab a hold of the tongs too. Its that strong sticky tongue they have. They always manage to pull themselves up onto the tongs Lol!


  9. #8
    100+ Post Member DVirginiana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,091

    Default Re: Tongue injury from biting tongs...

    I might get a pair of those. I've never seen them before, but I've never really searched either :P Having her 'pass out' with the tongs in her mouth kind of traumatized me, so I want to avoid having anything she could hurt herself on. I think she'd be calmer if whatever she bit didn't hurt.

    When I fed her last night, she ate three worms no problem. I couldn't get a good look inside her mouth, but I didn't see anything blatantly swollen or red, and under her mouth didn't look swollen either. I could tell she was a little uncomfortable but I think she's fine.

  10. #9
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Tongue injury from biting tongs...

    You can try looking online if the stores by you don't have them. I ordered mine from Josh's Frogs.

    Keep a close eye on her. If there is no sign of swelling yet then it is a good sign. They are tough frogs though. They can survive a lot!


  11. #10
    100+ Post Member DVirginiana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,091

    Default Re: Tongue injury from biting tongs...

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You can try looking online if the stores by you don't have them. I ordered mine from Josh's Frogs.

    Keep a close eye on her. If there is no sign of swelling yet then it is a good sign. They are tough frogs though. They can survive a lot!
    After I fed her last night she decided she didn't like where I had the water dish, so she pushed it away from the wall and burrowed completely. I haven't dug her out yet to check, but she seems to be doing her normal grumpy stuff right now.

  12. #11
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Tongue injury from biting tongs...

    Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    After I fed her last night she decided she didn't like where I had the water dish, so she pushed it away from the wall and burrowed completely. I haven't dug her out yet to check, but she seems to be doing her normal grumpy stuff right now.
    Lol!! That's good. if she doesn't come out in the next day or so check on her.


  13. #12
    100+ Post Member DVirginiana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,091

    Default Re: Tongue injury from biting tongs...

    I think she's good. I got her out this morning and felt up under her jaw. Didn't notice any swelling or anything, and she didn't flinch away so I'm guessing it wasn't hurting her.

  14. #13
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Tongue injury from biting tongs...

    Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    I think she's good. I got her out this morning and felt up under her jaw. Didn't notice any swelling or anything, and she didn't flinch away so I'm guessing it wasn't hurting her.
    Then all is well.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Why you should use tongs:
    By Nomadofthehills in forum African Bullfrogs
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: September 21st, 2011, 09:28 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
  3. Pacman frog biting
    By volcom19961995 in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 17th, 2011, 07:17 PM
  4. Pixie frog biting its own tongue plz help!!!
    By pixiefrogman in forum African Bullfrogs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 24th, 2010, 08:39 PM
  5. Rubber tongs for feeding
    By TypingMonkey in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •