Thread: pixie wont come out of his burrow he is hiding in

mafoo

Default pixie wont come out of his burrow he is hiding in

ive had a pixie for about a month now and one day his light went out so he didnt have alot of heat but i could keep it up to 75/80 for the 3 days the pet stores were closed. he was eating normal untill the last day before i got the light when he decided to fully cover himself in dirt and not come out to eat. i got the bulb and got the proper temps but he still wouldnt come out for the next 5 days so i thought he was trying to aestivate. since hes so young i started heavily misting the tank to get the ground wet and kept the temps up to maybe make him want to come out like rain would after hibernating when there in the wild. he still wont come out to eat and im getting a bit worried, have tried to dig him out but he just growls at me loudly and since i cant fully tell where he is i dont want to hurt him trying to get him out. what should i do now besides keeping the tank humid and the temps back to normal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: pixie wont come out of his burrow he is hiding in

Quote Originally Posted by mafoo View Post
    ive had a pixie for about a month now and one day his light went out so he didnt have alot of heat but i could keep it up to 75/80 for the 3 days the pet stores were closed. he was eating normal untill the last day before i got the light when he decided to fully cover himself in dirt and not come out to eat. i got the bulb and got the proper temps but he still wouldnt come out for the next 5 days so i thought he was trying to aestivate. since hes so young i started heavily misting the tank to get the ground wet and kept the temps up to maybe make him want to come out like rain would after hibernating when there in the wild. he still wont come out to eat and im getting a bit worried, have tried to dig him out but he just growls at me loudly and since i cant fully tell where he is i dont want to hurt him trying to get him out. what should i do now besides keeping the tank humid and the temps back to normal?
    Very gently wipe away the substrate layer by layer until you find him. When you do be sure to have a warm de-chlorinated bath ready for him no deeper than up to his chin. Soak him for 20 minutes and prepare a second bath that is also warm as the other bath cools and soak for 15 minutes. Then place him back home. Keep his temp up and his humidity at 80% and he should come out of it.

mafoo

thanks grif, will try and get that done tommorow morning since its already late here and its almost my other animals bedtime. any suggestions on handling him? he is so aggresive and probably since he hasnt eaten in a while im geussing he will want to eat anything he can, more so then he normaly is like. im afriad for when hes full grown so any tips will definately help!

mafoo

so good news is i know where he is and he isnt that far down, bad news is i cant manage to find a way to get him out. whenever i try to move his plant to get to him so i can grab him he starts hissing and if i brush away the dirt overtop of him he hisses at me to. he is such an aggresive frog im scared he will bite me and hes probably scared im going to hurt him. should i just man up and quickly grab him while he hisses or would that be a bad idea?

Nationality
    [United States]

so good news is i know where he is and he isnt that far down, bad news is i cant manage to find a way to get him out. whenever i try to move his plant to get to him so i can grab him he starts hissing and if i brush away the dirt overtop of him he hisses at me to. he is such an aggresive frog im scared he will bite me and hes probably scared im going to hurt him. should i just man up and quickly grab him while he hisses or would that be a bad idea?
    You always want to avoid their face. Go at him from behind and be gentle yet firm so he doesn't break loose from your grip. When dealing with large aggressive frogs there is always a chance you could get bit. Try your best to avoid it by avoiding the frogs face. Be careful and scoop him out from underneath and behind and you should be fine. Do be quick because the less time you're handling him the less chance he has to bite you.

mafoo

major problem here i think, i got him out of his tank and he was ready to eat so i offered a night crawler but instead he decided to go poop. after he finished i noticed a red thing sticking out! ive read about prolapses and that kind of thing but this is just freaky... i thought he was having a bloody poop but its not coming out and its just sticking out, really worried, rest of his poop was fine but the red thing isnt going back in/coming out so i dont know whats going on with him. no clue what to do now

edit: right as i finished writing this post it went back in. is this normal???

Nationality
    [United States]

major problem here i think, i got him out of his tank and he was ready to eat so i offered a night crawler but instead he decided to go poop. after he finished i noticed a red thing sticking out! ive read about prolapses and that kind of thing but this is just freaky... i thought he was having a bloody poop but its not coming out and its just sticking out, really worried, rest of his poop was fine but the red thing isnt going back in/coming out so i dont know whats going on with him. no clue what to do now

edit: right as i finished writing this post it went back in. is this normal???
    No it isn't normal. It is good that the prolapse went back in, but it may be swelled slightly. Prepare another bath of luke warm de-chlorinated water and dialogs 4 to 5 drops of honey in and then soak your frog for 20 minutes. Pour some of the Honey/water solution over his back too. After the 20 minutes are up. Replace the water in his soaking dish with Luke warm de-chlorinated water and place him back in the enclosure in his dish and leave him be. Keep his temps at 80° F and humidity at 80%. Keep a close eye on him for a few days.

What all do you feed him and how often?

mafoo

will get all that done today. i normaly feed him nightcrawlers and occasionly throw some crickets in his tank if he doesnt eat much that day so he can munch on them throughout the day. i feed him every day and he normaly eats 4-6 nightcrawlers. he hasnt eaten in the days he was buried though so this was probably from the day before he started hiding which he didnt eat much, only around 2 nightcrawlers because he was having a bit of problems getting them in his mouth to actualy eat so he just stopped after fighting with the second one.

Nationality
    [United States]

will get all that done today. i normaly feed him nightcrawlers and occasionly throw some crickets in his tank if he doesnt eat much that day so he can munch on them throughout the day. i feed him every day and he normaly eats 4-6 nightcrawlers. he hasnt eaten in the days he was buried though so this was probably from the day before he started hiding which he didnt eat much, only around 2 nightcrawlers because he was having a bit of problems getting them in his mouth to actualy eat so he just stopped after fighting with the second one.
    Do you dust his food with Calcium with D3 and a Multivitamin with Vitamin A?

mafoo

every couple feedings i dust it with repashy calcium plus but now after a bit of reading on this forum im thinking ill use the repashy calcium plus once every 3-4 days and straight calcium every 1 or two feedings just so i dont overdose on the multivitamin.

right now my frog is inside his tank after i cleaned it all up and hes just digging a new hole to hide in like he always does. he is very active after the bath and was swimming around in the little bit of water that was inside there and just finished exploring his tank. thanks for all the help! dont know what i would have done without you!

Nationality
    [United States]

every couple feedings i dust it with repashy calcium plus but now after a bit of reading on this forum im thinking ill use the repashy calcium plus once every 3-4 days and straight calcium every 1 or two feedings just so i dont overdose on the multivitamin.

right now my frog is inside his tank after i cleaned it all up and hes just digging a new hole to hide in like he always does. he is very active after the bath and was swimming around in the little bit of water that was inside there and just finished exploring his tank. thanks for all the help! dont know what i would have done without you!
    You're very welcome and I'm glad I could help. Keep his climate consistent with very little fluctuation and he shouldn't try and aestivate anymore. Occasionally they will burrow all the way, but usually come back out after a day or so. He should be ok now. Keep an eye on his bowel movements and if he has another prolapse perform the honey bath as I instructed and depending on how bad it is ask for advise if worse than this one.

mafoo

alright ill keep an eye on things and now i will keep a extra bulb for when the other one goes out to avoid this situation.i will be back if the prolapse comes again and doesnt go back in, thanks again!

Thread Information