Thread: Naturalistic setups

ToadPaparazzi

Default Naturalistic setups

I have been on the fence about getting some larger frogs such as pacmans and pixies... I've also considered the smaller (not sure if pacmans) offered on Understory Enterprises website... The biggest thing holding me back is what I have seen of how most people keep them set up...

Are any of you using naturalistic vivaria? If so, please let me see your vivs!

-Christian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Naturalistic setups

You can do a "mock" naturalistic setup. This works especially well with Fantasy Frogs and male Pacman frogs because they are smaller. Small potted plants can be positioned into the terrarium. Using a poly foam insert with depressions and caves carved into them with moss covering them. A background can be put in place with living moss and small air plants and ferns on it as well. The key concept here is that you can regularly take the terrarium apart for cleaning and still be able to put it back together as if nothing happened. With large Ornates, female Pacmans and pyxie frogs...well, its not really all that doable because they will tear the plants apart and leave 3 to 5 inch long turds and alot, alot of urine all over the terrarium and it just wont work all that well at all.
    Phillipe De Visjoli's book on Horned Frogs has some good suggestions for plants and techniques. With a large enough (twenty to thrity gallon) terrarium and a smaller Horned Frog such as a Fantasy Frog, you can make a really stunning looking display. Fantasy Frogs also make stunning display animals if you set the terrarium up in a manner where the frog cannot completely and entirely submerge itself beneath the substrate as well.

Thread Information