Thread: All Pet Bearded Dragons arose from Smuggled Ancestors!

findiviglio

Default All Pet Bearded Dragons arose from Smuggled Ancestors!

Hi All,

Younger hobbyists may be surprised to learn that this species was virtually unknown in the USA, even in zoos, not long ago. Today, the inland bearded dragon is a pet trade staple, with thousands being bred by hobbyists each year. Oddly enough, all pet trade animals seem to have originated from a small group smuggled out of Australia (where they are strictly protected) to Germany in the early 1980's. They are legal to own in the USA, but, technically….. Read article here: Bearded Dragon Species Profile.

Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

Thanks, Frank
    My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog
    Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kristen

Default Re: All Pet Bearded Dragons arose from Smuggled Ancestors!

But aren't all Australian reptiles outside of Australia from smuggled ancestors (except from zoos) ? There is a no import export law so how else could they get them?
    Curious

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    But aren't all Australian reptiles outside of Australia from smuggled ancestors (except from zoos) ? There is a no import export law so how else could they get them?
    Curious
    Hi Kristin,

Very good point; there likely are others. Some species found in Australia also occur on New Guinea, Indonesia and neighboring islands, and so may have legally been exported in the past.

Thanks, best, Frank

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by findiviglio View Post
    Hi Kristin,

Very good point; there likely are others. Some species found in Australia also occur on New Guinea, Indonesia and neighboring islands, and so may have legally been exported in the past.

Thanks, best, Frank
    Yeah thats probably the case for Green tree pythons and whites. But what about Carpet pythons and blue tongue skinks. Also the pet stores claiming to sell "Australian whites tree frogs". Theyre either lying or smuggled (or smuggled ancestors)
    Oh well I'm sure if there will always be a bit of demand for something different, and people will pay big money for them there will always be an illegal pet trade.
    Thanks for the reply, you run an excellent blog.

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    Yeah thats probably the case for Green tree pythons and whites. But what about Carpet pythons and blue tongue skinks. Also the pet stores claiming to sell "Australian whites tree frogs". Theyre either lying or smuggled (or smuggled ancestors)
    Oh well I'm sure if there will always be a bit of demand for something different, and people will pay big money for them there will always be an illegal pet trade.
    Thanks for the reply, you run an excellent blog.
    Than ks for the kind words, Kristin. My readers would enjoy posts from an Australian herp enthusiast (promised land for many here in the US!). Any comments you might wish to post on my blog would be most appreciated. Here's one on Breeding White's and White-lipped Treefrogs.

Yes, illegal trading always a prob; however, Australia seems to do a far better job than most countries. Even when I was exchanging animals between zoos, when I worked at the Bx Zoo, the regs were quite strict. As for "pet store names", most here are, as you suggest, unreliable.

Enjoy, Thanks again, Frank

Nationality
    [Australia]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The problem is you can get even endangered animals in America if you have the right contacts, America has very different laws they can get a lot of exotic animals whereas in Australia you cannot own anything that isnt Australian(unless u get it illegally
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

findiviglio

Hi,

Thanks for your interest. Australia is wise in limiting the importation of exotics, especially considering all the damage they have caused to the continent's unique wildlife.

In the USA, the situation is somewhat complex. Federal laws apply to all states and people - other than via permit (zoos, museums, researchers etc), there is no way to legally own federally protected species.

State laws vary as to non-Federally protected species - for example, tiger salamanders may not be sold in NY, but are used as fishing bait in some western states!

Best, Frank

Thread Information