Thread: Red eye Question...

frog220

Default Red eye Question...

I recently purchased a pair of red eye's about a week ago,the problem is they have been sleeping nonstop but will ocassionally wake up for about 15 min and go back to sleep plus they have not been eating although they look pretty healthy.what could this mean?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Turbo Stu

Default Re: Red eye Question...

They might just be getting used to their new environment
    I have heard they get a little more freaked out by it than other types of frog do

I will be getting some soon so have all this worry to look forward to

Wembley

Hey, my two Red Eyes sleep all day, and are only active 3 or 4 hours late at night, around 1am or 2am. It took them about a week or week and a half to eat. So I would keep an eye out and see if they look like their losing weight before I would worry to much. Also making sure their cage is warm enough and humidity is good will help as well. Are they babies or adults?

frog220

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley View Post
    Hey, my two Red Eyes sleep all day, and are only active 3 or 4 hours late at night, around 1am or 2am. It took them about a week or week and a half to eat. So I would keep an eye out and see if they look like their losing weight before I would worry to much. Also making sure their cage is warm enough and humidity is good will help as well. Are they babies or adults?
    theyre adults a male & female.

Wembley

Just curious babies would make me nervous if they weren't eating, otherwise I would just wait a while and see what happens. If they seem to be getting really skinny or start looking weird take them to a vet that will treat amphibians. Good Luck!

Kurt

Keep your eyes pealed for missing crickets and the presense of poop. I rarely see any of my red-eyes eat, but I am always cleaning up poop.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It continues to amaze me that people want Red Eyes so much. They sleep all day, are rarely active, and they don't like bright light. They have to be one of the most boring tree frogs from a pet point of view. All those photographers who have made them famous have a lot to answer for.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

I love them and I love most of the frogs within the genus Agalychnis, especially annae & callidryas. I agree that leaf frogs don't make the best pets. They are extremely nocturnal and do not apprieciate your attention.

KaylaSt

When I brought my tree frogs home they didn't eat much either. One did eventually get sick but the other one is fine. Mine are only awake for about 1-2 hours at night. I also have never seen them eat. I think it would be an amazing thing to see but it won't happen heh heh

And I love red eyes as well. You have them to appreciate them, not to be a pet. If I could go back and choose to buy them again I would totally do it again!

Thread Information