Thread: Dart Frog Terrariums...?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Dart Frog Terrariums...?

Could anyone direct me to some good places for DIY Dart Frog Terrariums? I have a 29 tall tank I'm looking to convert into a NICE terrarium for dart frogs. I've decided to take that BIG jump into the lil' guys. I'd like to have a nice styrofoam rock background (not sure if it would be more efficient for me to buy or build myself?) and I'd like to have a nice water feature in the front, like a waterfall and a little small "river" flowing in the front.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

arielgasca420

Default Re: Dart Frog Terrariums...?

dendroboard.com is a great site.

ToadPaparazzi

I've read that styrofoam is harmful in the long run to dart frogs. What type of dart frog are you thinking about getting?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by ToadPaparazzi View Post
    I've read that styrofoam is harmful in the long run to dart frogs. What type of dart frog are you thinking about getting?
    Really? If that's true then why do so many people use it to create their own backgrounds? I definitely wouldn't want to do anything to harm the frogs. I've also been looking at the rainforest tile - but that would get expensive for a large terrarium. I've been looking at the Santa Isabels (Epipedobates Anthonyi). I've read they are an easy species and don't get large. They also go through a dramatic color change from a dull green/brown to a VERY pretty red with white stripes.

ToadPaparazzi

Quote Originally Posted by toxxxickitten View Post
    Really? If that's true then why do so many people use it to create their own backgrounds?
    Most people coat styrofoam with silicone, grout, and/or drylok, blocking it from leaching out into the water. The styrofoam is harmless to lizards and snakes; they don't respire through their skin the way frogs do.

I definitely wouldn't want to do anything to harm the frogs. I've also been looking at the rainforest tile - but that would get expensive for a large terrarium.
    I'd recommend an expanding foam background, covered in silicone, peat, and coco-fiber.

I've been looking at the Santa Isabels (Epipedobates Anthonyi). I've read they are an easy species and don't get large. They also go through a dramatic color change from a dull green/brown to a VERY pretty red with white stripes.
    SI Anthonyi are sweet and have such a cool call! I'll definitely be adding them to my collection someday.

silicone works well, but titebond III works just as well, is cheaper, and you can touch up and bald spots as well. the only downside to titebond is it takes a couple days to dry and cure. but then it is 100% waterproof.

Thread Information