Thread: My Pacific Tree Frog's legs were twitching and he looked like he had a seizure

Jackiemsmith

Default My Pacific Tree Frog's legs were twitching and he looked like he had a seizure

My kids collected 2 tadpoles from a mud puddle in Tehachapi, CA and brought them home. Both of them have transformed into the cutest little froggies. The youngest is about 3/4 inch large and the oldest is about 1 1/2 inches large.

The oldest frog (transformed July 2012) started to develop a weird leg twitching about 3-4 days ago. I was really worried, his legs were splayed out behind him and looked liked they weren't working properly. At one point, the frog even looked like he was having a seizure. He had stopped jumping onto his plants as well. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that he had either a calcium deficiency or some kind of infection. Well, as soon as I could, I took the entire tank outside and put it in the sun. I monitored the temperature very closely as to not cook them in their tank. The weather here is very mild and I just wanted to give them some natural sunlight for about 30 minutes. I hadn't been dusting the crickets thinking that the orange cricket food that I was gut-loading them with would be sufficient in the way of calcium and vitamins. I guess I was wrong. I immediately bought some Repti Calcium and dusted some crickets and fruit flies for my little guys. My frog didn't look good enough to eat, though. His skin looked dry and darker and he wasn't moving a whole lot =(

I decided to take a chance a spray him with some calcium. I took about a 1/4 tsp of the Repti Calcium and mixed it in with about 3/4 cup of water in the sprayer and sprayed him about 4-6 times that day. Within the first 2 hours, he started looking better! I was so surprised and happy. I had seen him decline for about 2 days and thought I would be mourning his death soon, but I guess the combination of sun + calcium spray must have worked (he hadn't eaten a dusted cricket yet).

I just thought I would share this with you all. I had also did a Google search and found my info on: My fire-bellied frog is twitching uncontrollably. It is making - JustAnswer

I will religiously dust my crickets from now on and I will also invest in some vitamins as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

A good schedule is every other day with calcium with vitamin D3 and one day a week with amphibian multivitamin powder, but not on the same day.

I'm glad your little guy is okay!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Jackiemsmith

Default Re: My Pacific Tree Frog's legs were twitching and he looked like he had a seizure

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am so relieved that he is better! I'm so stricken with my little froggies =)

Thread Information