Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gray Tree Frog Vivarium Suggestions?

kmichael55

Default Gray Tree Frog Vivarium Suggestions?

Working on (researching and planning) a vertical vivarium for my Gray tree frog. Can't wait to start building.

I'm planning on using an upright 10G (is this enough room? would a 20G Long be better? I have access to one but kind of want to leave it open for something else) like the vertical poison dart frog enclosures but with the front door mainly made of screen.

I'm planning on using bamboo, fake vines made of vinyl tubing and a pretty awesome fake (rattling) antler as a "tree." For live plants I want to use Pothos or Philodendron and moss on the bottom, maybe a bromeliad? (is this a good idea?) I want as many plants as possible, good sturdy ones that she can hang out on. What would you suggest?

I'm planning on doing a black Pond & Stone Great Stuff/silicone background. Can I paint the great stuff before siliconing??

I'm going to leave part of the background un-great stuffed and paint the back side of the glass to create a "sky" (Thanks for the ideas, Heatheranne and flybyferns!)

I was going to section off a bottom of the tank with another piece of siliconed in glass to create a half water/half land environment and I really wanted to do a waterfall/trickle down the background but can't really figure out how to do it easily/cheaply.

Phew, many questions sorry! Thanks for any advice you can give!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Gray Tree Frog Vivarium Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by kmichael55 View Post
    Working on (researching and planning) a vertical vivarium for my Gray tree frog. Can't wait to start building.

I'm planning on using an upright 10G (is this enough room? would a 20G Long be better? I have access to one but kind of want to leave it open for something else) like the vertical poison dart frog enclosures but with the front door mainly made of screen.

I am not to familiar with the size or habits of the grey tree frog but IMO 10gal is small for any frog. I would recommend the 20g long and use the 10gal for future growout tanks. You could put some plants in there to grow while you construct your vivariums. Just an idea, i think 10gal may be to small though. My .02

I'm planning on using bamboo, fake vines made of vinyl tubing and a pretty awesome fake (rattling) antler as a "tree." For live plants I want to use Pothos or Philodendron and moss on the bottom, maybe a bromeliad? (is this a good idea?) I want as many plants as possible, good sturdy ones that she can hang out on. What would you suggest?

I agree, philodendron and porthos would definitely be a good idea for them. And yes you may consider some bromeliads as well. They seem to be pretty sturdy. I think the key thing here for tree frogs would be branchy wood features. Lots of sticks for climbing, it will help you use all the dead space in the tank. You can go to a local forest where they do not spray pesticides and find a few nice pieces. Make sure to treat the wood by baking or bleach. I am sure there is a thread about that somewhere on this forum. Try the search function.

I'm planning on doing a black Pond & Stone Great Stuff/silicone background. Can I paint the great stuff before siliconing??

I am not sure why you would paint the greatstuff before siliconing. Generally speaking, after you apply the great stuff and it cures you will chizzle out all the big blobs and carve some areas how you like. Then apply the silicone to an area. Add coco fiber over the silicone and allow to cure.

I'm going to leave part of the background un-great stuffed and paint the back side of the glass to create a "sky" (Thanks for the ideas, Heatheranne and flybyferns!)

I want pictures =) Could be cool!

I was going to section off a bottom of the tank with another piece of siliconed in glass to create a half water/half land environment and I really wanted to do a waterfall/trickle down the background but can't really figure out how to do it easily/cheaply.

I really wouldnt recommend doing a water feature. They take up to much space, end up breaking within a few months, and its a huge hassel for little reward. Plus i am pretty sure tree frogs have no need for them. IMO

Phew, many questions sorry! Thanks for any advice you can give!!
    Hope this helped some. Be sure to take your time and do everything right the first time. I would recommend starting a build thread and posting pictures between steps so you can get support and ideas. It really helped my first build.

More questions? Feel free.
    Cant wait to see the build! Enjoy!
    D. Azureus
    R. Imitator - "Cainarachi Valley "

Rae

I have 3 Greys...a 10gallon is ok for 1 but too small for 2, however this only applies if it is a 10 gallon tall. Tree frogs need height and 24" is recommended...

Rule of thumb is 1 frog per 10gallons but larger breeds might need more. Like Whites tree frogs should have a bigger home.

kmichael55

Kevin- Thanks for all the advice, I have been reading so much on here and it's hard to resist asking questions about my tank in someone else's thread, so I made my own.

I'm thinking about painting to add dimension, probably gray to make the black great stuff look like rocks. I've seen some areas in backgrounds without the coco fiber and it looks like shiny/wet rock... I also want to press moss into the silicone. (Probably going to use more coco fiber in my false tomato viv)

Yeah, the 10G would give her 20" and the 20G long 30" ... it's more for ease of fitting into my stands but I'm also wondering how sturdy the tank would be like that, if my cat would knock it over trying to sit on top and etc. I really can't decide... I could always get her a mate if I made it bigger and would have more room for plants, but I would need a new stand.

kmichael55

Check this out:
    How to make a waterfall (rainforest edition)

The guy has a ton of really cool tank feature ideas/instructions. This waterfall especially is what makes me want to paint the great stuff.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey,

I've seen that video before. His waterfall turned out amazing.
    Actually, i was in the exact same predicament you are in about 1 year ago.
    I tried duplicating this video and it was not so hot lol. I ended up scratching everything
    because the water wouldnt flow right and it kept leaking and was just a huge pain
    in the BUTT! lol.

I really do like the way his rocks came out though. Although, i am not sure how
    well you could paint greatstuff. You would have to experiment with it.
    Possibly take a piece of cardboard and spray some great stuff on it and
    test painting it on there. But remember you have to seal all the painting stuff
    with silicone. Otherwise, it will bleed into your frogs environment. If you
    do try this.. POST PICTURES - I want to see lol.

If you want a rocky background, you could always silicone the rocks onto
    great stuff instead of the coco fiber. A mix between rock, cork bark, and
    cocofiber could lead to a very interesting background. Something i am starting
    to notice with my background is that after a year or so... you dont even
    see the background anymore. It is so covered in plants that i feel like i
    wasted so much time to not even see it anymore.

As for the tank, yeah you could probably get away with a 10gal. But
    bigger is always better. Just remember, you may have 20" but after
    you put in a false bottom and soil.. you may only have 14"-16"
    depending.

Fuel for thought =)

-Kevin
    D. Azureus

kmichael55

That waterfall is waaaay more than I want to attempt or would have room for in a 10 gallon.

Does anyone else who keeps grays have any input on a water dish/water area? They don't need all that much humidity apparently, and if I do include one I want to make it "permanent" rather than an afterthought.

I think I will use real rocks in combination with trying to paint, moss, coco fiber, whatever else I decide to stick in there... I'm making another (not vertical, flipped so the 20 X 12 side is the bottom/footprint) for my Tomato frog so there's even more room for variety (I want them to have different looks/feels)

If the paint works out I'll use many coats of silicone like that guy did on his waterfall for extra VOC sealage.

Speaking of, whats the best way to spread it? On the tube it says to smooth it with a spoon dipped in soapy water, any other tips? I never would have thought of that one on my own.

Definitely going to document the process, the Pond & Stone Great Stuff says 'expect one time use' and it is 11.50 a can, so I want to have everything thoroughly planned before I open it. I'm getting pretty antsy to get started though.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Here is the rest of his web site. I love his ideas! I found this site last year. You can pretty much make any design you want with his technique .

http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/

You could create a waterfall down your wall and paint it like he does. Instead of having a water reservoir as part of the waterfall, allow the water to run down into the bottom of the tank into larger rocks. Lay fiberglass screening across a layer between the rocks to keep any substrate out. Make a corner eggcrate area to house the filter/waterfall pump. (this is my next plan for mine . You can also create a false bottom instead of rocks. Here are a couple pictures I found to show you.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

kmichael55

Thanks! I've got this build bookmarked on dendroboard (not sure if both are from the same thread, I recognize the second pic)
    Which is also where I found this link:
    New England Herpetoculture LLC - Custom Backgrounds

I think I'm scrapping the idea of a waterfall in either viv, and will probably just settle on an airstone in the tomato frog's water dish.

Do you think I should scrap the water feature altogether in the gray viv? Perhaps I'll foam in the piece of tubing and just manually trickle water down it when I want to lol. Pumps are expensive and I want to get foaming!

I've got another realllly cool idea but it's also kind of complicated. Perhaps I'll unveil it if I decide to actually go through with it.

OK, can't resist...LED "stars" somehow for twilight lighting!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kmichael55 View Post
    Thanks! I've got this build bookmarked on dendroboard (not sure if both are from the same thread, I recognize the second pic)
    Which is also where I found this link:
    New England Herpetoculture LLC - Custom Backgrounds

I think I'm scrapping the idea of a waterfall in either viv, and will probably just settle on an airstone in the tomato frog's water dish.

Do you think I should scrap the water feature altogether in the gray viv? Perhaps I'll foam in the piece of tubing and just manually trickle water down it when I want to lol. Pumps are expensive and I want to get foaming!

I've got another realllly cool idea but it's also kind of complicated. Perhaps I'll unveil it if I decide to actually go through with it.

OK, can't resist...LED "stars" somehow for twilight lighting!!

I wouldnt bother with a waterfall unless you really know what your doing.
    They never seem to work right in my experience.

Oh and it seems you have been bitten by the bug =)
    Welcome to the addiction.
    -Kevin
    D. Azureus

kmichael55

Quote Originally Posted by nos187 View Post

Oh and it seems you have been bitten by the bug =)
    Welcome to the addiction.
    -Kevin

Ha. there's a frog joke in there somewhere...but yes you are absolutely correct.
    Last night I completely missed the movie we were watching because although I appeared to be watching, my mind was 100% on vivarium possibilites, lol.

I have a waterfall in my tiny (less than 50G) outdoor pond for my Red Eared Slider, but it's a lot easier when you have the whole backyard and aren't working inside a glass box.

great stuff, silicone, cocoa fiber and a wee bit of planning and voila, you have a waterfall. as far as cost, i spent $8 more than i would have without doing it.

if you decide on keeping the idea of a water feature, might as well go for the pond as well. i mean, we build the upper part of the tank for them, and they rarely use the bottom, i just look at it as the bottom of the tank is for me to look at.

kmichael55

So how'd you do it without spending a * ton of money? Did you find a pump for $8? Looks good!!
    Last edited by kmichael55; August 28th, 2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: forgot there's no swearing :)

thanks a local fish shop sells reptiflo 250 pumps for $7. i grabbed a few, and $1 for the tubing. i just zip tied the tubing tk my eggcrate wall and the gradually built up the great stuff around the tubing. some brown silicone and cocoa fiber and then i just let nature take it's course and let the water erods the fiber to reveal a nifty little water feature. like i said, easy

kmichael55

Wow, wish I could find that deal...Petco only sells em inside an Exo Terra waterfall feature for $42, and that's on sale. Petsmart has the Repti Flo 200 for $22 including shipping. The pump I bought for my ~50G outdoor pond was $45 at the depot and it's a piece of junk but is much stronger than these little guys (I'm assuming the 200/250 is GPH?).

no, i thought that at first but it is rated at about 80gph i believe. i have it at it's max head height, about 14" or so. if you want, i can grab one for you and ship it, i think it would fit in a small flat rate box.

kmichael55

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    no, i thought that at first but it is rated at about 80gph i believe. i have it at it's max head height, about 14" or so. if you want, i can grab one for you and ship it, i think it would fit in a small flat rate box.
    Thanks so much for the offer but I decided I'm going to go super easy with this since it's my first one, maybe for a future viv!

kmichael55

So I finally started building. Super preliminary photos:

I'm gonna need A LOT more great stuff lol. So glad I did this outside.

here's right after I sprayed the Great Stuff: (also used half the can in the other tank) Can't get any more pics to update yet.

It was sooo messy and did not puff up as much as I think the yellow kind would have, I think I'll do another can of yellow followed by the black stuff. I still want to go up the left side a little and in my other tank I barely covered the "shelf" I put in:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Looking good .

(I'll be making a waterfall in my next build. I'll post a thread as I go.)
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

kmichael55

Here's after the second can of G.S. (gaps and cracks this time) It expanded WAY more. Going to have to carve quite a bit out of the vertical/upright one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information