Thread: First post, anyone know what this is?

Hunglikeafruitbat

Default First post, anyone know what this is?

First off, hello my name is Mat and I am new here. I recently started collecting frogs and currently have 7 Amazon Milky tree frogs. When I checked in on the largest one today, she had very bright blue "stuff" coming out of her rear and there was a few stringy pieces of moss hanging out as well. I used a pair of hemostats to very gently remove all the moss I could, however there is still some there and it seems to be stuck (I don't want to pull on it too hard) If I had to guess I'd say it looks as if the frog was having trouble passing some moss and now has some hemorrhoidal thing happening. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? I'm wondering if it will correct itself or if a vet trip is necessary. Hers a pic or two of what I mean, thanks for any and all help it's much appreciated.

Mat.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: First post, anyone know what this is?

I am sorry to have to be the bringer of bad news, but what you have here is a prolapsed cloaca. You're going to have to see the vet on this one.

That being said, welcome aboard.

Hunglikeafruitbat

Thanks Kurt, I had a feeling thats what it was as I saw it in a Boa on another forum recently. Do you have any idea what may have caused it and what type of treatment the vet will use? I'd like to prevent this in my other frogs if I can and also need to make sure the vet knows what they are talking about. Thanks again for the info and don't worry about it being bad news, I had a feeling this was a vet trip problem.
    [Edit] I just found a treatment using a bath of sugar water, have you tried this and would you suggest doing this while a vet is contacted, or just keep misting to keep the cloaca moist?
    Mat.

Nationality
    [Austria]

Hello,

sorry, my englihs is not the best. I hope, you understand me.

I have a lot of frogs and some of theme, had the same problem. It comes mostly, when they eat some hard things like treebark, stones, and some things like this. My frogs will be healthful by it self.

When you can go to a doctor, who knows amphibians, it would be the best.
    But you can to try with a cotton-tip to push it back, careful.

Some people told me, when you give sugar on it, it will go back by it self.

But please look, your frogs have not treebark, stones, and other hard things in the tank, they will eat it, when they hunting their food. Sometimes it comes by itself. You can do nothing.

I hope your frog will be healthful, shortly.
    Nice greetings from vienna,
    Irina

Hunglikeafruitbat

Thank you Irina I understood you perfectly. I tried the sugar water bath but it did not go back in. I may try to push it back in later, but she will be going to the vet tomorrow. She does not have any stones that are small enough to be swallowed in her enclosure and I do not use any substrate like bark. She is on Plantation Soil and moss. I think this was caused by constipation from swallowing the moss or from the size of the crickets I have been feeding. I will be switching to smaller crickets for all my frogs from now on to reduce the amount of shell they are consuming. Thank you for your response and advise, hopefully she will make it through the night and the vet can help so I can post some happy update pictures.

Mat.

Nationality
    [Austria]

Hello Mat,

oh, he is a she. Sorry I hope, she will be good!

I did nothing with my frogs, it gone by alone.
    The frogs i have with the same problem, they have also no bark or stones in the tank. I think, some frogs have this problem by it self or by the food.
    It's always better, you give more and smaller insects to your frogs.

I hear in Europe (it's my first community in english) no sugar water. I read always only sugar, no with water. Not powdered sugar.

I hope for your froggirl the best.
    Nice greetings,
    Irina

Kurt

I am glad that your frog will be seeing the vet. I cannot advise you to a proper treatment as I have never personally dealt with a cloacal prolapse in any amphibian. I have seen it, just not in my collection. I do not think the frog will die between now and the time you get your frog to its appointment. So no worries there.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Are their any chances that it could get infected hanging out like that? or get damaged?

Kurt

Yes, this is a distinct possibility. The sooner the problem is fixed the better.

Hunglikeafruitbat

Hello again,

Sorry to bring up an old post but I wanted to say thank you for the help of the members here for their advice. The frog is fine, on our way to the vet I was able to remove the obstruction and her cloaca went right back in with minimal help from me. Good thing too because this vet really had no idea how to treat a frog anyway.

Again, thanks so much for your advice, you saved her life.

Mat.

Kurt

You're welcome.

Jace

Beautiful frog-I am very glad to hear she is okay.

Thread Information