Thread: Pac man frog needs help!!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Pac man frog needs help!!!!

Ok so I hate getting frogs this way cause I can't pick them out myself but my work needed a Pacman so... I ordered one from my food dealer (crickets,roaches,substrate,ect.) I have received good amphibians and reptiles from them before so I figured it would be ok. Well A beautiful little pac, unsure or what type or sex, came in but he/she had a small injury right behind its right eye. I was hoping someone could tell me what it is, how to treat it or if I should send the little one back and get a new one. So I hate the second option but there are 2 reasons to consider this 1- If I don't send him/her back by mon. my warranty runs out and if he/she dies its on my head 2- I'm worried that he/she might not get proper care on my days off (even though the lady who works on my days off is really good with animals) and I don't want to keep transferring him/her back and forth from my house cause I don't want to stress em out. By the way he/she is eating well (8 small/med. crickets last night, 1st night with me, no problem) doesn't seem to be off balance, no problems with his/her legs, not messing with injury and is very active. So I was wondering type,sex, Id on injury & opinions on what should I do?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Pac man frog needs help!!!!

This is a Ceratophrys Ornata. Looks like it may have been chewed on by crickets. If the wound doesn't look inflamed too much then it will probably be ok if cared for properly. Very carefully apply some Original Neosporin to the wound, but be sure NOT to get any in the frog's eye. It must be ORIGINAL NEOSPORIN without painkiller. The kind with painkiller will kill the frog. Clean the wound with some clean de-chlorinated water and use a cotton swab to apply the Neosporin. Make sure to stay away from the actual eye. Just a minute amount should be needed. If the wound doesn't begin to clear up it may need antibiotics if it becomes worse.

Nationality
    [United States]

I want to say male, but I can't get a good look at the frog in the pics. How big is the frog SVL? Also you're going to want to house the frog on moist paper towels until the wound heals so nothing gets in the wound to cause infection. Just set up a hospital enclosure. Remove any eaten crickets so they don't chew on the wound.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hey Grif, I was hoping you would find this asap. Well STV is just over 1 1/2", I have already set up a hospital tank so that exact thing wouldn't happen. So I will apply the neosporin asap, it is definitely inflamed but no worse then yesterday so..If its only a cricket bite then i'll keep and treat it. How often should I apply the neosporin? I'll try and get a better pic soon just didn't want to stress the little one out anymore then he was. When I got him he was almost panting, he was breathing so hard/fast.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by IrishRonin View Post
    Hey Grif, I was hoping you would find this asap. Well STV is just over 1 1/2", I have already set up a hospital tank so that exact thing wouldn't happen. So I will apply the neosporin asap, it is definitely inflamed but no worse then yesterday so..If its only a cricket bite then i'll keep and treat it. How often should I apply the neosporin? I'll try and get a better pic soon just didn't want to stress the little one out anymore then he was. When I got him he was almost panting, he was breathing so hard/fast.
    The hard breathing was because he was scared. Apply the Neosporin twice a day and always clean the wound before re-applying the Neosporin. Make sure you have some hides for him in the hospital tank so he can hide and cover 3 sides with a background so he feels secure. The less stress the better.

Keep his progress updated.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

thanks again, and I'll keep you up to date for sure

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by IrishRonin View Post
    thanks again, and I'll keep you up to date for sure
    You're welcome

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ok grif so its starting to look a little better, the redness has gone down a little as well as the swelling. He still has a good appetite but I still haven't seen any poop. I have read your advice on the pedialyte and hunny bath, a few times, so if I dont see any poop by tomorrow night I think that's what I'm gonna do.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sounds like a good plan. I'm glad to hear he is doing better! Keep a close eye on the wound. It is very good that he is eating well. That is always a good sign. Keep us posted.

Thread Information