Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had a funny idea today, try breeding a C.Stolzmanni (male) to a C.Aurita (Female)

connor111699

Default Had a funny idea today, try breeding a C.Stolzmanni (male) to a C.Aurita (Female)

Just think about it, he'd be trying to hop on up and would be like "I need a boost", She would wonder what the tiny thing harrassing her is, lol, just a funny thought that came to mind.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Had a funny idea today, try breeding a C.Stolzmanni (male) to a C.Aurita (Female)

It's funny to picture, yeah... I have seen breeding videos of Cranwellis were the female was significantly bigger than the male and the male had trouble mounting. Realistically though, the smaller the male, the more likely the female is to attack or even try to eat the male - regardless of species. Also, I'm not sure if that sort of hybrid would be viable. Given the issues that other hybrids have, such as Green Apples (Cranwelli X Caatinga), I would hope no one tries. Not to rain on your parade.

connor111699

Default Re: Had a funny idea today, try breeding a C.Stolzmanni (male) to a C.Aurita (Female)

You mean no 10" auritas with the limbs and head of a stolzmanni?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by connor111699 View Post
    You mean no 10" auritas with the limbs and head of a stolzmanni?
    Honestly that would be cruel. such hybrids would most likely have serious problems as they mature. Such as scoliosis, leg deformities, and possibly internal malformations that would eventually cause the frogs death. The Aurita would definitely eat a male of pretty much any other species because of such a size difference since most males of each species possibly excluding a male Aurita only reach a max SVL of 4" with most not quite reaching that length. With as many issues that Green Apples have it would not be a good mix. You never see adult Apples because the usually die from genetic issues as the grow and mature.

lovenokia

Well do you know what dog breeders have been doing for years? They have been mixing and matching for years and have come up with some interesting dogs with interesting traits. We should at least try to find a different and breed able species of pacman frogs that could grow larger and survive longer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Aurita's really only get about the size of a very large female Ornate. I think the stories of 10' giants are a bit exaggerated. Nonetheless, a Stolzmans male would make a nice easy meal for a large female Aurita.

Nationality
    [United States]

To start with, there is a big difference between dogs and frogs. Hybrid horned frogs are sterile. There are no known succesful breeding attempts with hybrids producing any offspring. These cross-breeds are not bred to make a heartier race; they are bred entirely for their looks. This results in many beautiful frogs that either don't survive to adulthood or have serious health problems. The answer is responsible breeders who breed only the healthiest stock and put the health of their animals above looks. And of course, proper care. Horned frogs can live decades if properly cared for.

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    To start with, there is a big difference between dogs and frogs. Hybrid horned frogs are sterile. There are no known succesful breeding attempts with hybrids producing any offspring. These cross-breeds are not bred to make a heartier race; they are bred entirely for their looks. This results in many beautiful frogs that either don't survive to adulthood or have serious health problems. The answer is responsible breeders who breed only the healthiest stock and put the health of their animals above looks. And of course, proper care. Horned frogs can live decades if properly cared for.
    I was not saying dogs are similar to frogs, but I was giving an example. There can be so many different combinations that if you never try we can never know the result, but I believe that cross breds should be bred for a heartier race, if they are done solely for looks than that should be animal cruelty.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by lovenokia View Post
    Well do you know what dog breeders have been doing for years? They have been mixing and matching for years and have come up with some interesting dogs with interesting traits. We should at least try to find a different and breed able species of pacman frogs that could grow larger and survive longer.

Fantasy Frogs are a pretty good example of using hybridization to solve captive problems of Cornutas. But they are sterile. Other hybrids, like Green Apples have serious problems.

I think the species AS THEY ARE do rather well in captivity considering that in the wild they live one to four years, as oppsed to 10 to 15 in captivity. he only problem is the need to introduce wild caught specimens into the gene pool from time to time to maintain healthy captive bred populations.

While some hybrids are interesting, I would rather see pure bred species with line bred pattern and color morphs than more hybrids.

Its also worth noting that many dog species created by man also have serious health problems as well.

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    Fantasy Frogs are a pretty good example of using hybridization to solve captive problems of Cornutas. But they are sterile. Other hybrids, like Green Apples have serious problems.

I think the species AS THEY ARE do rather well in captivity considering that in the wild they live one to four years, as oppsed to 10 to 15 in captivity. he only problem is the need to introduce wild caught specimens into the gene pool from time to time to maintain healthy captive bred populations.

While some hybrids are interesting, I would rather see pure bred species with line bred pattern and color morphs than more hybrids.

Its also worth noting that many dog species created by man also have serious health problems as well.
    I totally agree with you, wild frogs need to make the gene pool stronger from time to time. Chances are there are other species of pacman that we have not discovered yet. I just feel that there can be great benefits if we try to play with all the genetic combinations.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The owner of Nuance Herptile farm has an interesting article about hybridization for captive breeding purposes, the whys and the hows etc, which is very interesting if you can read japanese.

lovenokia

Cant read japanese but there is always google translator lol

connor111699

guys it was a joke, I know it's not serious it was just a funny thought, I know the problems and dangers of it, wasn't meant to be real, sorry if it came across that way

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Oh I know, but it raises some serious points. Nonetheless it makes for a funny mental image.

connor111699

Agreed

lovenokia

Well I saw opportunity's in this, lol

connor111699

i see lol!!

lovenokia

I will try to make a stronger breed of pacman frogs one day, I plan of being a scientist of some sort eventually.

connor111699

i plan on being a herpotologist.

lovenokia

cool!!!! but i forget to say LARGER AND STRONGER!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information