Thread: A new friend for my Baja California Tree Frog

frolicthefaun

Default A new friend for my Baja California Tree Frog

My Whites Tree Frog (Kevin) passed last night.

This morning I noticed my Baja California Tree Frog (Trevor) seemed a bit sad.. like he knew Kevin wasn't coming back.. so now he needs a new friend.

I'm looking for a frog that will get along well with Trevor. Trevor is about an inch in length, so a frog around his size would be ideal.
    I
    live in Ventura County in Southern California. I am willing to have the frog shipped to me or if you live close.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

frolicthefaun

Default Re: A new friend for my Baja California Tree Frog

Also, need a bit of advice.. would anyone think it would be okay to get a dart frog and place it in the same tank as Trevor? I would like to learn a lot more about dart frogs from people here rather then just looking up on Google. I would like to hear about peoples experience with them. :] Please feel free to share any ideas you have. I'd love to hear!

Also willing to buy a separate tank for the dart frogs if their not compatible with lil Trevor.
    Last edited by frolicthefaun; August 22nd, 2012 at 09:45 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm so sorry for your loss...
    Just a few things:
    1. Frogs do not get lonely, I believe this has been proven scientifically.
    Some frogs are social, meaning they do well in groups. Like darts. But Trevor is definitely NOT lonely, nor does he miss Kevin.
    2. As mentioned by many members in your other post, NEVER mix species of frogs!!! It is soooo important to always follow that rule. Not only do darts and your Baja California Tree frog require different environment needs, they could poison one another. All frogs secrete toxins that are not compatible with other species of frogs....
    So, if you want some darts, do your research, get a different enclosure, set it up, and then get your darts.
    I have to say, I've had my eye on darts for a while also, they are sooo cool
    Good luck
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

First off, don't mix species. I'm surprised that your White's didn't eat him! Sinve you live in Cali, it should be easy finding some around your local pond or creek. I found about a hundred tads in a temporary mud puddle, and I let them all go in a nearby pond - except two. They are now my absolute favorite frogs EVER. Actually, they do not eat their own tadpoles, so if you set up a viquarium, you could put some tads in theh water portion.

ToadPaparazzi

Where in Cali are you? I'm in Redlands, SoCal.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

just so you know hun also it is illegal to keep any native species of frogs in captivity in california without proper licensing
    just be aware
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Tree Frog's
    1.1.0 Big Eyed Tree Frog's
    1.2.4 Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Azureus
    0.1.0 Mixed Breed Puppy <3
    Way too many fish

ToadPaparazzi

Quote Originally Posted by Katieasaur View Post
    just so you know hun also it is illegal to keep any native species of frogs in captivity in california without proper licensing
    just be aware
    I am pretty sure a fishing license is required for collecting... Once it's in your possession (after legally collecting with a license) you don't have to maintain your license. I am pretty sure CA Dept. of Fish and Game has bigger fish to fry though than seizing some native frogs that are considered a Species of Least Concern on the IUCN "Red List" http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/55890/0. Now, if they were California Spadefoot Toads, I'd be worried .

-Christian

Thread Information