Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whites Tree Frog Question

Rae

Question Whites Tree Frog Question

Ok I have owned wild caught grey tree Frogs for 2years and have always used rain water... bottled spring water when I have run out.

There is a chance we might be getting Whites as well now. My question is Can I use Rain water for Whites as well?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rae

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog Question

Also can 2 go in a 33gallon... exo terra Exo terra 18x18x24.... Id like a bit bigger but cant afford it atm. And theres one for $25 without accessories or light hood so all Id need is lights and hood... accessories would be coming with the frogs... But the tank they are in is in really sad shape and would want them out ASAP

KingCam

From what I understand rain water is almost like distilled water, no minerals in it to speak of since raindrops are formed from water vapor in the air. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! It just seems like rain water has the potential to leech vitamins and minerals from your frogs skin in the same way distilled would.

I just buy gallon jugs of spring water at my local grocery store for like 85¢ each, that is what I personally would reccomend for your whites and your greys. I could be wrong, but there ya go, that's my 2¢ :P

Whites tree frogs can get quite large. I'm sure a 33gal. would be okay for a few months just because it sounds like that's better than what they are in currently, but you will definitely want to consider upgrading down the road.

Rae

they are full grown already.

KingCam

Well if it's better than what they are already in you might as well go for it, and if one day you stumble on a good deal on a bigger aquarium, get it

Rae

the other one is bigger length wise but only 18 high... it is very stained and dirty from what the pics show and the lid looks duct taped and the screen on top looks warped

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    the other one is bigger length wise but only 18 high... it is very stained and dirty from what the pics show and the lid looks duct taped and the screen on top looks warped
    Sounds like a death trap! Save the frogs! A slightly smaller, taller, CLEAN cage is 100x better than living in filth like they are now.

Rae

Name:  $T2eC16RHJIYE9qUcOQSkBQH8mNNr)w~~48_20.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  66.5 KBName:  $(KGrHqFHJDUE+OcFrOgkBQH8mpdmpw~~48_20.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  51.1 KB

Rae

Can someone take a close look at the frogs in the above pic as well PLEASE... it almost looks like theres a white scar on the green one unless im mistaken... Do they look healthy?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Ok I have owned wild caught grey tree Frogs for 2years and have always used rain water... bottled spring water when I have run out.

There is a chance we might be getting Whites as well now. My question is Can I use Rain water for Whites as well?
    I simply re-fill and de-chlorinate tap water ( w/ Aquatize) .
    I have 6 gallon containers in the ready.
    ( Saved form the days when I was buying water )
    I have to re-fill............. as I go through at least a gallon /day.

x ( ?) 1.19/day = 8.33 per week = 433.16 per year --- That's a lot of cricket change !!!!

Good luck w/your new Whites. Might as well get both of them!
    Otherwise, when you're driving home you'lllllllll be sorry
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

12. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Can someone take a close look at the frogs in the above pic as well PLEASE... it almost looks like theres a white scar on the green one unless im mistaken... Do they look healthy?
    Don't you think that could be a reflection?
    They look well fed.

Is that the enclosure they were kept in?
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Rae

yes that is there home from the sound of it and the pic of the frogs I believe is on the screen lid :/

They want $50 for everything

But the condition of the terrarium makes me concerned about the health of the frogs

Rae

Can't afford spring water and Rainwater has been fine for my greys... as the lived in it. My Reptile guy and others on here said that was fine for my greys.

Not so sure about for Whites since they are not native here....

(Just called my guy and he says he thinks rain water will be fine... and says he uses distilled for his dart frogs... so idk now)

Rae

So I called the lady with the frogs and yes that is there home, yes its dirty (she said this like it wasnt a big deal :/). The lid is broken and they do get out from time to time :/.... And the Frogs back does have scarring =(. She said it got out and the ferret attacked it. And the frogs are under 2 years old.

Not to sound like a jerk, if you can't afford the proper housing, water, ect, why would you take on theses animals? What if one gets sick? Will you be able to afford care? I would keep those questions in mind if you can't even afford the right cage or water.

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Rae

I'm not going to get them if I cant provide the proper size terrarium. I was asking IF a 33 gallon was big enough. Also just because I can't afford bottled water doesn't mean I cant treat tap water. I asked IF Rain water would be safe. We actually don't have any vets around here that take frogs =( I found that out trying to get a stool sample done ... one said they could send it away but the price was outrageous because they couldn't do it there. But I would try everything else possible... baths etc.

On here I have always been told 10gallons per frog .... the tank is a 33... which gives 15 gallons per since they are bigger. There was no reason to assume I was trying to put them in a home not fit for them.

Also rather than buying them and then coming here I am asking questions first. If you read the first post you will see I said there is a CHANCE I was getting whites... hence my reason for inquiring about there needs first.

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by BlueisallIneed View Post
    Not to sound like a jerk, if you can't afford the proper housing, water, ect, why would you take on theses animals? What if one gets sick? Will you be able to afford care? I would keep those questions in mind if you can't even afford the right cage or water.
    I'm not going to get them if I cant provide the proper size terrarium. I was asking IF a 33 gallon was big enough. Also just because I can't afford bottled water doesn't mean I cant treat tap water. I asked IF Rain water would be safe. We actually don't have any vets around here that take frogs =( I found that out trying to get a stool sample done ... one said they could send it away but the price was outrageous because they couldn't do it there. But I would try everything else possible... baths etc.

On here I have always been told 10gallons per frog .... the tank is a 33... which gives 15 gallons per since they are bigger. There was no reason to assume I was trying to put them in a home not fit for them.

Also rather than buying them and then coming here I am asking questions first. If you read the first post you will see I said there is a CHANCE I was getting whites... hence my reason for inquiring about there needs first.

Petra

I've noticed a lot of people assuming things about others on here because they don't read all the posts first.

Rae

[QUOTE=KingCam;131548]From what I understand rain water is almost like distilled water, no minerals in it to speak of since raindrops are formed from water vapor in the air. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! It just seems like rain water has the potential to leech vitamins and minerals from your frogs skin in the same way distilled would.

Can anyone else confirm this I would like a few extra opinions on using rain water on Whites and the size of terrarium????

Magz

I have also been debating on getting one or two whites recently that's why I joined this forum. I haven't posted anything yet as I'm mainly just reading and observing. But I have noticed that many on here try to give there frogs more than needed room... which is great. If you can afford it. I would be like Rae as well, finding out what the min. needs are then working up once I can afford it.

I would have thought a 33 gallon would be fine... maybe not great... for two whites. I still think it would be....

Don't know anything about the rain water though sorry.

Good luck! And I give you thumbs up and think you deserve respect wanting to try save those Frogs and willing to take them even after you saw how they live and that one is scarred.

23. This member thanks Magz for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information