Thread: I had to laugh!

Rae

Default I had to laugh!

So my husband and daughter always give me a hard time about not letting them touch our Grey tree Frogs. So I have been considering Whites though I don't really like there belch sounding calls or the fact that they look obese and how big they can get lol. But .... I decided to look into it... for them... and I will admit reading posts on here about Whites and there personalities they seem fun.

So I find a lady on Kijiji selling 2. One light green, one brown... she says ones a male ones a female on the ad. So I call her to see if she will sell only one if not which one is male which is female.

Her response was she couldn't remember if green meant female or male... I kinda wanted to laugh.

I had to explain colour did not determine sex. She was surprised. I asked her if one of them made noises... she said she thinks the the brown one does. So I told her that her brown was the male then.

I just thought it was funny that an owner of tree frogs was unaware that the colour was not how she could tell the sex. Don't know yet if we are taking them yet XD

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: I had to laugh!

It's scary how many people keep animals they know literally nothing about. I don't get it! When I buy an animal I first get online and read everything I can find!

Hey bud,

My gf and kids always give me a hard time since I wont let them touch the red eyed tree frogs.. I also have a 2 year old daughter that was scared of them so I made her touch one and now she loves them... She is always screaming frog frog frog (kinda sounds like F_ck F_ck F_ck) which Im glad she likes because I have 4 of them.

Rae

Well Red eyes and Greys both don't like to be touched and people that don't research don't understand that... "Its just a frog " I get back all the time :/... at least if I get whites they can handle them a bit and might leave my little greys alone lol

I dont really care to handle my frogs.. I have to take them out when I change the tank but other then that they never come into contact. i actually can handle one or two of my retf without a problem but the others will just jump jump jump.. I showed my daughter one a few months ago and it jumped right on her forehead so I had to get her to like them agian.. she touched one for like half of a second and now she cant stop looking for them in the tank... O ya check out my new tank set up in the Viv and tank section.. Please give me your feedback on it. Josh

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

yeah so many people know nothing about what they have, that is just sad, but when pet stores keep frogs in horrible conditions and have no clue about them that makes me plain mad.

Your right Lija.. I get so mad when I go to the pet store and see the snakes, lizards and frogs being kept in the tanks like that. I cant understand how they can charge me 80$ for a RETF knowing its sick and weak. I have thought about getting a job at many pet stores just to help save the animals but I usually just buy them and bring them home. Their should be some type of system to teach the employees how to care for the animals better.

Pezsas

Its rare to find a pet store with knowledgeable people working in it. what really scares me is specialty stores that sell exotics that still don't know what kind of frog they are selling, no less how to care for it. Its just an uphill battle to try and get non herp people to understand that just because its a frog that is the color green does not make it a green frog. I agree we should have a system, or some better training on employees to help them out. not everybody can be as into this as we are i suppose.

Nationality
    [Canada]

we went to Vancouver aquarium a few months ago, well known for it's reach and conservation, they have huge fish tanks and all kind of stuff, they breed belugas, etc..... and keep one lonely waxy frog with bunch of dart frogs in the same tank and pacman on a gravel.I was soooo mad, still am... funny part there was sigh on a wall by the tank that waxys like dry conditions, so either they can't read or just don't care. at least bullfrog tank was very good with real happy round frogs.
    so i was thinking if those kind of places do that what can we expect out of regular pet stores..... but still how hard it is to have a care sheets of different species and train employees at least about basics.

Nationality
    [United States]

It's lack of education, then retaught . It's a bad cycle.

Trust me, in the last year I've recovered 6 sick red eyed tree frogs. Though, at least the last pet store recognized their faults and learned from them, and did donate to me free of charge 4 of them. I understand completely.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information