Thread: Hello to everyone, Have A White tree frog & An Eastern Grey tree frog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kellbri

Smile Hello to everyone, Have A White tree frog & An Eastern Grey tree frog

Hello, I am Jennifer, I am new to having frogs, but i have already learned alot. I took an intrest when my step son found an Eastern grey and i can't say no to him when he asked to keep him. So i went out and bought the whole set up terrarium zoo med and everything he needs. Then i went into a store to buy crickets and ask questions and i fell in love with a white tree frog, so i bought another set up with her. Now i desided to convert a 20 long into a terrarium for the white and a 55 gallon for the eastern grey. I just ordered the convertion kits yesterday so i am waiting for them to come and i can start setting them up. Then wait the 2 weeks or so to put them in. I am so exsited i can't wait. I am very interested in learning as much as i can and need to know about these frogs and others. Maybe some day adding to my frogs. I love the sounds in my living room. I wish my white was a male so i could hear sounds from that one. If anyone wants to teach me anything i would love to know what you have to teach me. Thank you.

Default Re: Hello to everyone, Have A White tree frog & An Eastern Grey tree frog

Hello Jennifer.

My name is Josh and I am the owner for 4 Adult Red eyed tree frogs.. I jumped right into this hobby and I am loving it.. I have indulged myself with all the information I could ever need about frogs and crickets. I honestly would have picked Dart frogs instead of red eyed tree frogs but I have kids so my gf said no to that.. I want to clearly say red eyed tree frogs are amazing looking frogs but they are probably the more boring pet you could ever come across. They do nothing, they sleep all day and usually right before I got to sleep one will start talking. Now dont get me wrong I enjoy the frogs just cause its a piece of the rainforest in my living room but its not like they do much of anything. I think if i did it over I would have picked a better pet that was not nocturnal. I have spent a lot of time and money on these pets so I cant watch them go. I thought about converting a tank at one time but it seemed not as good as a exo terra tank was. I paid the little bit of money for a 24x18x24 and I wish i could modifiy it. i would put a drain system in it and make it taller. But with making it taller i would have to furnish it with taller plants and thats just more money. I am probably 1500.00$ into my project and i have not had one successful breed. This was my main goal when I started. i bought 4 tree frogs so i could breed them. Noting yet but I am still trying. well sorry im not really teaching you anything Im more or less rambling about what I have done so far. I am not looking forward to the winter with these RETF but we will get to the bridge in a few months. Get back to me and take a look at my album.. i just put new picture of my tank with all new plants.. Josh

adinco

Default Re: Hello to everyone, Have A White tree frog & An Eastern Grey tree frog

welcome!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forums!
    • 1.2.0 Azazel, Matrix & Minnie
    • 0.1.0 Felis catus (Maine Coon Mix & Siamese Mix) - Daisy & Donald
    • 1.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris (Siberian Husky) - Hermes
    • 2.0.0 Mini-Me Minions - Aiden & Peyton

Rae

Welcome XD I also own greys and might be considering Whites once I get more info about them here XD

KingCam

Grey's are a great deal of fun I have 6 :P

Kellbri

I love my white she has so much personality I heard her for the first time yesterday, such a cool call i wish she made as much sound as a male. Whites are not hard to take care of, compared to other types. Whites are very calm frogs.

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Aren't most roaches to big for tree frogs.. atleast the roaches I have seen... they are the size of greys lol. I can see Whites eating them,
    That totally depends on the species of roach. Red runners and lobster roaches are the perfect size for greys Dubia roaches get too big as adults, but the nymphs are small enough for greys.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk 2

Rae

I just learned something XD... but I'll stick to my crickets... less creepy lol

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    I just learned something XD... but I'll stick to my crickets... less creepy lol
    :P I can't argue with the "creepy" factor that comes with roaches. I've gotten to the point now where it doesn't bother me too much to hold the dubia roaches, and my deathead hybrids (the hybrids are even bigger than the dubias as adults), and I sometimes poke at my surinam, p.femapterus, and pallid roaches (all three of those species are very small as adults. Only like 1/2 inch long, smaller than an adult cricket. Great for tree frogs!)

But the lobster roaches, oh gawd the lobster roaches. If a lobster roach even gets close to touching me I am lible to scream like a small girl. The lobster roaches as adults are absolutely perfectly sized for my three biggest grey tree frogs. The other three smaller tree frogs get slighty smaller nymphs.

Here are a few photos of my grey tree frogs eating Lobster Roaches (Nauphoeta cinerea).

I think this is Bud (I get mixed up on which is which when I can't see them all :P). He's eating a medium sized lobster roach nymph. Normally lobster roach nymphs are dark brown, but this one just shed skin. For a couple hours after the roaches shed skin they don't have a shell, but rather very soft white skin. My frogs absolustely LOVE them like this. It's like all meat, no shell, the perfect feeder insect! I always look for "soft shell" roaches before feeding them a regular roach.

Here is a lobster roach nymph shedding its exoskeleton. They are very squishy at this point, no claws, no leg barbs, no shell whatsoever. It's like crack for my frogs. They will even fight each other over them if I don't separate them when I see them give "that look" to each other, hahaha

This is Frogger, she's swallowing a full grown lobster roach here. The wings are sticking out of her mouth still XD

I REALLY wish this photo hadn't turned out blurry. This is frogger, with the back end of an adult lobster roach hanging out of her mouth. You can see my frogs sometimes do acrobatics to beat each other to the roach at the end of the tongs XD

Anyway... as you can see, my tree frogs are fat and happy on a steady diet of gut loaded roaches :P

Rae

ewww lol but kinda cool lol

Pluke

To be honest, I think crickets are more gross than Roaches. I just have dubia's, never dealt with the other kinds.. but from handling and caring for dubia's in this last couple weeks, they are just so much easier.. they don't stink, they don't jump, and so far they haven't attracted any foreign bugs like gnats or flies. Which my crickets have.. stinky bastards. I change their bin regularly too. I think roaches just get a bad rap because you only hear about infestations of them in certain places, which is gross, but keeping them as feeders is completely different and also a different kind of roach. Unfortunately dubia's tend to dig into the coco fiber in my pacmans tank immediately, which is extremely aggravating. That and my pacmans aren't exactly fans of them, they are coming around though.. they just like to hunt a little I think and the roaches go straight underground. -.-

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Great advice, KingCam !
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

14. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    To be honest, I think crickets are more gross than Roaches. I just have dubia's, never dealt with the other kinds.. but from handling and caring for dubia's in this last couple weeks, they are just so much easier.. they don't stink, they don't jump, and so far they haven't attracted any foreign bugs like gnats or flies. Which my crickets have.. stinky bastards. I change their bin regularly too. I think roaches just get a bad rap because you only hear about infestations of them in certain places, which is gross, but keeping them as feeders is completely different and also a different kind of roach. Unfortunately dubia's tend to dig into the coco fiber in my pacmans tank immediately, which is extremely aggravating. That and my pacmans aren't exactly fans of them, they are coming around though.. they just like to hunt a little I think and the roaches go straight underground. -.-
    I agree with you on all of that.

The burrowing issue is why I just bought a starter culture of blatta lateralis, supposedly they won't burrow, instead they run around on the surface like crickets would.

My tree frogs aren't huge fans of the dubias, but they loooove their lobsters :P

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information