Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new to the forum :D got a few questions

superjody

Default new to the forum :D got a few questions

Hi all, ive had albino clawed frogs for 4 years now but could do with some help......started of with princess in a small tank, as she grew i got her different tanks, about 18 months later i found a shop selling adult size frogs and wanted to get her another for company...they nly had 2 left and i couldnt leave one....so tubbs and edward were welcomedinto princess's life. they started to grow so i got them a 2 ft 60ltr tank which they seemed very happy in.

Questions time

after a while the tank started getting a lot of algae in which it had never done before, the only changes to the tank were a light in the hood.
    since it started i have never been able to clean it up and its driving me mad...i can keep it under control with green away but i dont understand where its coming from...Ive recently put them in a 125 ltr tank and started the water cycle from scratch and its slowly started again. i leave their light off all day and they are not in direct sunlight......any ideas??
    The water quality is fine though, i test it and there are no problems.

for most of the time i have had them i have fed them freeze dried tubifex, they seem to love it and scoff it down, i was recently told how its made and thats made me wonder if its the cause?? i have cut down on their feeding to try control it but still no joy.

Im thinking of trying this that i have fouond on ebay....what do you think??? Pollywog Amphibian Diets ~ Axolotl, Xenopus, Frog, Newt. Special Formula Pellets | eBay

I also removed the gravel and replaced with pebbles but they went green so now they just have a glass bottom, there isnt mush to trap the bits of **** now so that makes cleaning easier

Cheers guys
    Jody

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

packer43064

Default Re: new to the forum :D got a few questions

Hmm. Algae is usually from a high nitrate level or too much light. Do you use a filter? What exactly is your nitrate level?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Perhaps a nice plec would help?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

superjody

nitrate is normally around 5 but my recent test today was 30......
    just done a small water change and added some cycle treatment and aqua salt (which wasnt added last time)
    Il retest tomorrow or the day after

superjody

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Perhaps a nice plec would help?
    Plec???

Nationality
    [United States]

Don't add a pleco to your frog tank. #1 they don't eat algae #2 they get huge and turn aggressive (if a common pleco) #3 your frog will choke to death on it if it tries to eat it (and it will eventually).

Oh and if you weren't aware, a pleco is a type of bottom dwelling fish that people put in their aquariums.. commonly sold as a sucker fish or algae eater.. they have no place in most aquariums and grow quite large... in fact most bottom dwelling 'sucker fish' such as corys, plecos, ect have spiny fins or barbs will will choke your frog to death which will result in a dead frog and a dead fish.. sooo.. don't bother.. super bad advice there sorry.

If you want to get rid of algae the best algae cleaner is an algae brush and cutting back on excess light/nutrients.

Personally I get brown algae/diatoms in my frog tank and I just kind of roll with it. I wouldn't add chemicals to get rid of algae.. just brush it off and don't over feed and cut back on light.

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by superjody View Post
    Plec???
    Plecostomus fish

superjody

ah, no plec for me then ha ha

Nationality
    [United States]

Do you have plants? Plants help a lot. Get some nice floating plants like pennywort, frogs love to relax in it and it's a nitrate sucker.

Doing 25% water changes every week will cut down on nitrates too. 30ppm is actually pretty high.

superjody

only plastic ones. il look out for some to put in for them, cheers
    where can i find pics of other peoples acf set ups on here??? i like to see how others are set up, il put my own pics up soon too

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by superjody View Post
    only plastic ones. il look out for some to put in for them, cheers
    where can i find pics of other peoples acf set ups on here??? i like to see how others are set up, il put my own pics up soon too

I'd get rid of the plastic.. get real plants. Pennywort is like 50 cents and it grows very quickly.

Here's a picture of my frogs doing their thing in a whole bunch of pennywort.

Name:  frogs.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  29.8 KB
    Name:  frogs2.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  46.7 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Algae is a result from over feeding, too much waste in the tank and a lot of light.

Higher frequency of water changes/larger water changes, cut back on feeding and you should see an improvement.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

Yikes, I can't imagine them trying to eat one, but definitely don't then .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

True, I wouldn't recommend them for a firebelly pond. Prob a dumb rec for those too. I apologize for that one.

emberlisa

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    I'd get rid of the plastic.. get real plants. Pennywort is like 50 cents and it grows very quickly.

Here's a picture of my frogs doing their thing in a whole bunch of pennywort.

Name:  frogs.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  29.8 KB
    Name:  frogs2.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  46.7 KB
    Pennywort looks nice! Where do you buy it for 50 cents?

Nationality
    [United States]

LFS here in town. Heck I've gotten it for free from another LFS, all that I have I got for free.. my friends dad gave me a walmart sack full of it and I wound up having to throw a lot of it away.. It's basically a weed and grows very very fast.

ACF do LOVE it though. they will hang out in it and swim through it and rest in it. Mine sleep in it when the lights are out.

superjody

Hmmm, did a water change yesterday, added salt and some cycle stuff, retested the water and the nitrita and nitrate are still high.........
    Princess's "bits" have swolen up today, never seen this before, any ideas??

heres all 3 in the corner, edward is on the bottom, tubbs is the big one at the bac and princess to the right

Nationality
    [United States]

That really doesn't look right, superjody.. maybe Terry or Jenste will know..

KingCam

Princess definitely has something wrong with her, and "tubs" looks severely bloated!!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk 2

superjody

yeh tubs is bloated alright, she has been for about 2 years, i tried fixing her but it didnt work, that was going to be my next question.....any suggestions?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information