Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new to the forum :D got a few questions

KingCam

Default Re: new to the forum :D got a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by superjody View Post
    yeh tubs is bloated alright, she has been for about 2 years, i tried fixing her but it didnt work, that was going to be my next question.....any suggestions?
    If I could offer suggestions I totally would, but I know very little about aquatic frogs.

I would encourage you to search the forum a little more, I know many others have had similar problems. It is very likely you will find a solution without having to wait for someone to post one here.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What have you done to try to cure the bloat to this point? What are you feeding your frogs? If I had to guess about Princess I would say ammonia burn or early red leg. I am not an expert of the disease aspect of these guys though. Any that I lost over the years was due to escapes and cannibalization. Jenna will have a good idea. Perhaps you can just PM her and ask her to take a look.

superjody

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    What have you done to try to cure the bloat to this point? What are you feeding your frogs? If I had to guess about Princess I would say ammonia burn or early red leg. I am not an expert of the disease aspect of these guys though. Any that I lost over the years was due to escapes and cannibalization. Jenna will have a good idea. Perhaps you can just PM her and ask her to take a look.
    I cant remember what i tried now, it was a couple of years ago but it didnt do anything.
    Princess's bits cleared up and she seems fine now.
    How do i get in touch with jenna to ask her??
    cheers

Nationality
    [United States]

@superjody

I am kind of curious what size aquarium you are keeping your three frogs in? From the pictures it appears the aquarium may be a bit small for three adult frogs which would explain the issues you are having. Also what kind of filtration are you using? It will be hard to treat the frogs if they are living in poor conditions.

superjody

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    @superjody

I am kind of curious what size aquarium you are keeping your three frogs in? From the pictures it appears the aquarium may be a bit small for three adult frogs which would explain the issues you are having. Also what kind of filtration are you using? It will be hard to treat the frogs if they are living in poor conditions.
    its a 125 ltr which is 32w x 20h and 14d in inches

The tank is a juwel rio 125 with the juwel filter in the corner.

superjody

Just did a water test earlier today and all seems normal, a month ago nitrites and nitrates were very high though

Nationality
    [United States]

An aquarium of that size should be fine for three frogs. I'm not familiar with that filter though, do you know how strong it is G? High Nitrites/Nitrates is actually quite toxic. I'm actually surprised you have any Nitrates at all if there is Nitrite present.

Again Nitrite is quite toxic.

What is normal exactly?

Normal would be 0ppm Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite and >20ppm Nitrate.

superjody

No idea what the g is on the filter, its a juwel bioflow 3.0.
    My latest test results are 7.2 ph 0 ammonia 0.2 nitrite 10-20 nitrate
    when i was having problems last month mynitrate level was 30 then went to 100 the next day, i treated the problem and it went down to 20 the week after, ,the nitrite level was at 2.5 when nitrate was at 100.

I have recently added live plants to the tank, not sure if that will help them out in any way??

had a weird incident the other night, Iv had cloudy water issues for a while but been trying to keep it under control with green away which seemed to clear it up a lot. Anyway, the water hasnt been crystal clear for a while but nowhere near as bad as its been, i do my weekly changes and it clears up a little with the green away then stays as it is which is slightly cloudy. The other night it seemed crystal clear in one corner where 2 new plants are but the rest was a little cloudier, the night after i got home from work and the water was crystal clear........no idea how or why but im not complaining

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by superjody View Post
    No idea what the g is on the filter, its a juwel bioflow 3.0.
    My latest test results are 7.2 ph 0 ammonia 0.2 nitrite 10-20 nitrate
    when i was having problems last month mynitrate level was 30 then went to 100 the next day, i treated the problem and it went down to 20 the week after, ,the nitrite level was at 2.5 when nitrate was at 100.
    I'm trying to understand the readings is it .2ppm nitrite? Any nitrite = bad.. 100ppm nitrate??? That is insanely high.

I have recently added live plants to the tank, not sure if that will help them out in any way??
    It will help soak up nitrates a bit.. but make sure your lighting is adequate enough for plant growth because decaying plants will only make your water quality worse.

had a weird incident the other night, Iv had cloudy water issues for a while but been trying to keep it under control with green away which seemed to clear it up a lot. Anyway, the water hasnt been crystal clear for a while but nowhere near as bad as its been, i do my weekly changes and it clears up a little with the green away then stays as it is which is slightly cloudy. The other night it seemed crystal clear in one corner where 2 new plants are but the rest was a little cloudier, the night after i got home from work and the water was crystal clear........no idea how or why but im not complaining
    Cloudy water could be a bacterial bloom, did you change the media in your filter maybe?.. generally speaking water clarity and water quality aren't one in the same. ACF are dirty animals as far as waste production I am curious if the filter that came with your tank is powerful enough for 3 ACF.

superjody

im using a nutrafin mini master test kit which gives results in mg/L (ppm) NO2, to be honest i dont fully understand everything like that, i just have a basic idea of what the levels should be at.
    no idea what caused the nitrate to shoot up like that.
    The tank has two tubes which provide plenty of light, that get about 5-6 hours then whatever natural light makes its way to the tank.

I didnt change anything in the filter, it just decided to go cloudy, ive had it that cloudy that you coudlnt see to the back of the tank properly once (before i used green away)
    i tested the water and there were no problems with it apart from slightly low ph.

The filter is 12" in height and seems quite powerful, it has6 lots of sponges etc inside

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have some experience with those jewel filters. They are plenty adequate. Basically an internal canister filter with bio media and sponges stacked driven by an internal power head.
    I would stay away from those chemicals that "clear" algae. They usually contain ingredients that feed baby algae while killing the mature algae causing you to continue to have to use it. Just let your tank finish cycling and do water changes on a normal schedule.
    The plants will help a lot. The more you have the better. When plants are well established they turn ammonia/nitrogen into plant matter. Keep in mind that you need fairly durable or prolific plants to withstand the abuse of the ACFs.

I agree with the above, specifically, stop using chemicals to fix the problem. It's like treating the symptoms of cancer without treating the actual disease. Fix the root cause of the problem first. Let the biologic filter do it's thing and mature on it's own. Adding a sm!all hang on back filter with some carbon in it wouldn't hurt. Remember, algae is, for the most part, a plant. If you have excess nutrients that your plants cannot absorb, guess what is going to utilize them? The main 2 things i see in planted tanks that are plagued by algae are lack of flow and too much light. You said the tank gets natural light, is it near a window? That could be one of your problems. And you said you have 2 tubes, what kind of flourescents are you running?
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Oh, another thing i would like to add, a cleaning crew is kind of important to keeping algae at bay. Knowing that acf's will try to eat just about everything, i would go with snails, unless they eat snails....lol sorry, i know aquariums (been keeping them for 30 years) but little about acf's. If snails are not on their diet, i would go with nerite snails. They are unable to breed in a freshwater environment, so you won't get an infestation like you would with other species. And there are some pleco species that do not get monstrous,such and the bristlenose or rubber lips plecos. And while they do not eat all algaes, the do in fact eat some kinds.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Oh, another thing i would like to add, a cleaning crew is kind of important to keeping algae at bay. Knowing that acf's will try to eat just about everything, i would go with snails, unless they eat snails....lol sorry, i know aquariums (been keeping them for 30 years) but little about acf's. If snails are not on their diet, i would go with nerite snails. They are unable to breed in a freshwater environment, so you won't get an infestation like you would with other species. And there are some pleco species that do not get monstrous,such and the bristlenose or rubber lips plecos. And while they do not eat all algaes, the do in fact eat some kinds.
    Any type of armored catfish (pleco, oto, ect) are a bad idea because the frogs will eat them and possibly choke since their fins have spines. A larger apple/mystery snail might work but in my own experience with snails sadly my frogs took much pleasure in harassing the snail whenever it came out of it's shell. They bit at the antenna a lot and eventually the snail became so stressed it would not come out of it's shell. I moved it to another tank which had no predatory species but after a week or so it died.. soooo I cannot recommend snails but you may have better luck. I have a rather overactive wild-type ACF whom is highly predatory.

Ooops.....i should have clarified. My post about plecos wasn't a recommendation, it was to correct an earlier post about plecos growing monstrous and not eating algae. My bad. Lol without a lot of info on tank setup, my recommendation on this one would be raising the lights, feeding less and add a power head.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Ooops.....i should have clarified. My post about plecos wasn't a recommendation, it was to correct an earlier post about plecos growing monstrous and not eating algae. My bad. Lol without a lot of info on tank setup, my recommendation on this one would be raising the lights, feeding less and add a power head.
    Probably for the best. I've tried to keep stuff with my ACF and all I've ever gotten were fat frogs. lol

Ramshorn snails may be small enough to go unnoticed by ACF but I wonder if they did eat one if they couldn't digest their shell? I keep ramshorns out of my ACF tank personally.. I do keep ghost shrimp with my ACF for clean up but they do wind up as food periodically but I only ever need to replace them once a month or so and at 33cents each.. can't really complain.

Ghost shrimp would work to control algae and make a nice snack. But i'm not sure if they are plentiful in the uk. The ghost shrimp we get here in the us are indigenous to the southeastern us. Size was a consideration in my suggestion of nerites. They do not get big at all. I figured the frogs would just think it's a rock.....lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

superjody

Il stop with the green away then and im going to add a lot more natural plants into the tank, just need a way of securing them.........
    the tank has 2 tubes for light, il have to check what poewr they are.
    it is not in direct light really but some sunlight can get to it (when we do actually get some sun ha ha)
    Cheers for these replies, really appreciate the answers/suggestions

I would recommend something from the anubias family. You can tie or super glue them to rocks for easy placement. For tying, you can use fishing line or cotton thread. Super glue is my fav method, but it can leave an ugly white residue.
    And duh, i forgot you were in the uk when i asked about sunlight......lol also, get some floating plants like duckweed or any of the salvinia species. Floating plants serve a few purposes, they suck up excess nutrients, they filter the light, and they provide natural cover for your frogs. If you still have algae problems, i have other suggestions for you, but start there. Good luck
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

superjody

for two of the plants i made a weight out of plaster but the plaster went soft and flakey in the water......
    i then made the weight out of acrylic in work but it wasnt heavy enough to stay put.
    im going to look at wood and volcanic rock to tie the plants too.
    I did think of glue but wasnt sure if it was safe or not.
    i have a bit of pennywort but i need more and then i need to get it tied to something so the filter doesnt pull it towards it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information