Thread: Help for Grey Tree Frog!

sadlovedgirl

Default Help for Grey Tree Frog!

Hello, just wondering if anyone has advice on how to help my beloved grey tree frog Houdini... She is 8 years old and has been on hunger strike for about a week now. She has done this in the past, but I'm worried. My instincts are to take her to the vet, but the last time I did that, I could tell the vet more then he could tell me bout my frog It was a waste of $130 dollars. Her eyelids appear a bit cloudy and swollen, I have cleaned her terrrium, and have tried to give her a dose of Fluker's repta+boost but i think she spit most of it out. She is still soaking and moving around but I know she isn't right...I'd appreciate any advice or guidance. thanks, k

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: Help for Grey Tree Frog!

You should give your frog a therapeutic vitamin honey bath.

Use lukewarm bottled spring water. If you have to use tap water make sure you condition it to remove the chlorine. Pour 10 fl.oz. in a dish, add 1 fl.oz. of **unflavored** Pedialyte, 3-4 drops of organic raw honey (regular honey will work if this isn't an option, but raw honey is always best), and a scoop of Fluker's Repta-Boost. Mix the bath well, then let your frog soak in it for 20-30 minutes. It's a good idea to spoon some of the bath over your frog two or three times during the soak. Give your frog another quick bath in just regular luke warm spring water. Spoon some water over the frog, and you're done. Repeat every other night until the frog is looking/acting better.

Raw honey is a natural and safe anti-bacterial & anti-fungal. A lukewarm honey bath often helps an impacted (constipated) frog go to the bathroom. The Pedialyte & Repta-Boost will help with electrolyte, vitamin, and mineral deficiencies.

Also, what are you keeping her on? Is it possible she came into contact with some cleaner you were using in her tank? I never use anything other than warm water and vinegar to clean tanks that I keep amphibians in.

Provide your frog with lots of limbs & vines to climb on, plenty of plants (live is my preference, but plastic will work), a large water dish with bottled spring water. Grey tree frogs can tolerate a wide range of temperatures & humidity levels. Room temp seems to be fine (67-80F), you can provide a basking spot if you want, but don't let it get hotter than 90F. Mist once a day to keep the humidty levels between 30-60%.

What do you feed? Crickets? You could try feeding you tree frog some moths that you catch on your porch. Grey tree frogs go crazy for moths, it may be just what you need to get a feeding response from a frog who is tired of the same ole food day after day.

Please tell us more about the conditions you keep your frog in, photos would also be very helpful.

PS. Please give this a read, it is very helpful for grey tree frog owners! http://www.frogforum.net/content/gra...-breeding-120/
    Last edited by KingCam; August 20th, 2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention you need to rinse in plain water after the bath & give it every other night.

sadlovedgirl

Name:  IMG_0105.jpg
Views: 8193
Size:  83.8 KBName:  IMG_0107.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  64.9 KB

sadlovedgirl

I posted some photos of Houdini, you can see what I'm talking about regarding her eyelids... I never use soap to clean her terrarium, use bottled spring water, keep her on zoo med spagnum moss and feed her gut loaded crickets and occasional wax worms..

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by sadlovedgirl View Post
    I posted some photos of Houdini, you can see what I'm talking about regarding her eyelids...
    That does not look good at all. I hope someone else can verify what I'm telling you to do.

Good luck.

I never use soap to clean her terrarium, use bottled spring water, keep her on zoo med spagnum moss and feed her gut loaded crickets and occasional wax worms..
    It doesn't normally happen with grey tree frogs, but sphagnum moss can easily cause impaction if swallowed. I would use eco earth coco fiber instead.

SparkyTucker69

That happened to my old Grey. I had had him for a little over two years and he had NEVER refused food. Then, one day he totally stopped eating. He was acting normal and everything, he just wasn't eating. Unfortunately, he died soon after he stopped eating. I hope things go over better for you and your Grey.

sadlovedgirl

Yeah! I gave Houdini a therapeutic vitamin honey bath and tonight and after that she ate a nice fat wax worm Do you think I should keep bathing her every other day and see if it helps with the cloudy eyelids? I don't know if eating means she is on the mend but I can't thank you enough King Cam for the help! I would still appreciate any comments or suggestions thanks again.. I'll keep n update on how she is doingName:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  113.3 KB

Rae

Im glad he's eating and I hope he makes it through... but on the care sheet it says they live about 8 years in captivity so if hes already that old I wouldn't think its anything you have done and his age might be creeping up on him.

KingCam

Yeah! I gave Houdini a therapeutic vitamin honey bath and tonight and after that she ate a nice fat wax worm Do you think I should keep bathing her every other day and see if it helps with the cloudy eyelids? I don't know if eating means she is on the mend but I can't thank you enough King Cam for the help! I would still appreciate any comments or suggestions thanks again.. I'll keep n update on how she is doingName:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  113.3 KB
    Woo hoo!! That's a good start Keep doing a few more of the baths, just go light on the honey and repta boost powder.

You might try PMing UncleChester about this, he has lots of experience with greys. If you want someone else's opinion on the honey baths PM GrifTheGreat, the master of frog baths :P

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk 2

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Cloudy eyes are usually an infection. Medicated eye drops from your vet are likely needed.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

KingCam

Any update on your frog??

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Name:  IMG_0105.jpg
Views: 8193
Size:  83.8 KBName:  IMG_0107.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  64.9 KB
    My seven year old gray did the same and looked like that about 2 weeks before he died( see my signature pic). If a vet is available, go there ASAP. Over the counter treatments don't work. I was recommended a fish antibiotic and the repti-flukers stuff. neither worked.

I, unfortuantley, am a few hours away from a frog vet of any kind so the bug got my little buddy. I hope it doesn't happen to you.
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

sadlovedgirl

Hey...Sorry I've been a slacker with an update on Houdini but she is fine...She has been eating ever since the vitamin honey bath...a diet of just gut loaded crickets (someone mentioned to me cloudy eyes might be too much fat in her diet, so lay off any kind of worms) She is over 8 years old now, so I'm very attached! I have been hand feeding her with tongs for the past two weeks as she is slower when hunting and often misses. It seems to be working pretty well so far, I was worried she wouldn't adapt from what she knows. I don't know for sure what the life expectancy for a grey tree frog is but I know 8 is getting pretty old. Thanks again Cam for saving Houdini, she is here today because you helped me!!!

KingCam

Hey...Sorry I've been a slacker with an update on Houdini but she is fine...She has been eating ever since the vitamin honey bath...a diet of just gut loaded crickets (someone mentioned to me cloudy eyes might be too much fat in her diet, so lay off any kind of worms) She is over 8 years old now, so I'm very attached! I have been hand feeding her with tongs for the past two weeks as she is slower when hunting and often misses. It seems to be working pretty well so far, I was worried she wouldn't adapt from what she knows. I don't know for sure what the life expectancy for a grey tree frog is but I know 8 is getting pretty old. Thanks again Cam for saving Houdini, she is here today because you helped me!!!

Thread Information