Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings

FrogSplash

Default Greetings

I am john and an avid collector of snakes, scorpions a very mean gecko and just recently(~2 weeks) frogs. I tend to jump into things before fully understanding what it is i am doing (experimentation included), but i believe that to be the best way to fully learn about something instead of doing only what your told. I currently have 2 or 3 european green toads (unsure about one cause of its size), a mantella viridis, american green tree frog, eastern spadefoot, and an unknown. with that said i am not without the need for help in certain areas and when wanted i'll ask. my methods are unorthadox at times but thats the way i roll. i hope we can co-exist peacefully and exchange our knowlege when the time comes =)

Default Re: Greetings

Hi there.

What kinds of snakes and what kind of gecko? I'm curious what set-ups you have for your frogs too.

FrogSplash

I have: 3 ball pythons, 1 w. hognose, 1 snow corn, 1 emporer, flatrock scorp, dune scorp, desert hairy, stripe tail, and the devil of them all a female tokay gecko. i have my frogs divided into 2 tanks, 1 for the smaller ones and 1 for the bigger ones. the 29T has the euro. green toads and the tree frog, 75-80 degrees ~80% humidity with coconut fiber bedding. the mentella and mystery frog and spadefoot are in a 10g water/gravel setup (probably not the right setup but its there for a purpose) 70-75 degrees and 80+ humidity. theres also a good lining of moss and a hide. the spadefoot is inbetween, when in the big tank it just sits in the water bowl, but when in the smaller and cooler tank it just tries to escape so im not sure what to do with it for now.

p.s. the smaller tank is more than likely a better set up for a pair or trio of oriental fire bellies.

Kurt

Welcome aboard. First of all I would like to tell you that you have a major problem with your frogs. You should not mix species, especially if they come from differnet eco-zones and habitats. The reasons for this are many.

First, most amphibians exude toxins to protect themselves from predation, while at the same time all amphibians have porous skin that absorb everything including toxins from other amphibians. So keeping multiple species together means that they are poisoning each other.

Second, most amphibians are wild caught and are very likely to be harboring gastrointestinal parasites and other pathogens native to where they were collected. So putting together animals from different parts of the world, means they will be trading off these pathogens that they will most likely will have no immunity towards. Also being wild caught, they will experience elevated amounts of stress until they become accustomed to life in captivity. Stress will weaken their immune systems allowing for harmful pathogens to bloom and kill your frogs.

Third there are environment conditions to consider. Not everything you keep together have the same environmental requirements. Keeping them all together in the same enclosure means you satisfy one or none, definitely not all.

Now lets look at one of your enclosures and the frogs you keep in there as an example. In one, you keep three different species, an Americam green toad, Anaxyrus debilis, an eastern spadefoot toad, Scaphiopus holbrooki, and a mantella of unknown species. All three come from different enviroments. Two are definitely known to be toxic, the third I am not sure about. Anaxyrus debilis is found in arid areas of the Southwest US, Scaphiopus holbrooki is found in temperate parts of the Eastern US, and the mantella is found on the island of Madagascar. All three have different requirements and all are most likely to be wild caught. I can only see this situation resulting in disaster for these frogs if they are to be kept together.

So bottom line, they all need to be separated to their own individual enclosures and brought to the vet for deworming as soon as possible.

FrogSplash

its a mantella viridis

Kurt

Still most likely toxic. Please get them into their own enclosures as soon as possible.

FrogSplash

i will when i can.

To the frogs sharing tanks, oh no!

To the snakes, that sounds nice. What colors are the ball pythons? You should put up some pics of all your pets.

To the smaller tank, you should get fire-belly toads. What fun little silly toads. If I had any room left over in my apartment, I would get some (note: I have said the same thing about a tomato frog, pacman frog, albino kingsnake, golden tree frog, bearded dragon, a hamster, a fish aquarium, a saltwater tank, and a cat. I live in a studio apartment. I barely have room to turn. ).

I hope that you can get the frogs separated soon and enjoy them. They're addictive. You'll -have- to get more.

FrogSplash

the ball pythons are normal coloured, i never took interest in their morphs due to budget restraints, but the corn snakes on the other hand, you can get a BEAUtiful morph for no more than a regular priced corn.

i also just recently learned of the poison (im used to saying venom cause of the scorps) of a good deal of frogs/toads which i didnt know had any. had i known that aforehand i would have made a better selection of frogs and definitiely not the mantella viridis (which at the time i had no idea they were the apart of the frogs that i happened to want the most). i was lucky enough to separate the mantella and the green toad from the euro green toads before they became an exspensive snack. the mantella cost me 32.00.

since this is an introduction forum, and i happen to like it here more than the last forum i was active in, i think you'll like to know that i am going through a frog obsession right now and have even gone so far as to change my online name(s) from final fantasy 7 character to those such as frog, frogsage and as you see me now frogsplash. all my other animals started out as an obsession and an unlucky break of getting 4 scorpions for free for trading in my 20 hermit crabs =P

i started a photo album and will be updated regularly
    Last edited by FrogSplash; January 8th, 2010 at 01:33 AM. Reason: epic anouncement of my starting a photo album

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome John.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

FrogSplash

Thank you John

Cute frogs.

This is such a bad place to work on obsessions.

FrogSplash

im just worried about what will come next. maybe fish...or if i can sell my ball pythons, (in a 55g breeder) a land/water tank with some frogs and fish....

A 55 gallon with 30 fire-belly toads? Or with like 7 White's tree frogs? Or with tons of clown tree frogs? Or a few Malaysian leaf frogs?

Or, get smaller tanks for the frogs and put a baby gator in there to start with.

FrogSplash

i could probably handle a drawf caimen, those suckers only get to 3 feet or so. ideally i'd like a semi-aquatic frog and some fast breeding fish to feed the frogs so to have a near self-sustaining ecosystem. or just a colony of something...the 30 firebellies would be cool, although i'd have no idea what to due with the offspring

I'm not sure what it takes for them to have babies....they're the friskiest little creatures, but my friend has 10 of them and they have all the fun without the babies. I work at a petstore too and they never have babies.

FrogSplash

thats good to hear. something like that will be the next project

I would like fire-belly toads too, but I have no room. They seem so fun when in a large group.

FrogSplash

how many fire bellies could you put in a 55g breeder (comfortably) that was maybe 60/40 land water or visa versa? which combo would be best

I don't know...My friend has 10 in a 20 gallon, and personally I think it seems a little tight with all the frogs and decor. They don't get huge though.

I've always seen tanks with more water than land.

I'm sure someone who actually has them could answer better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information