Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compatable Aquatic Critters

FinnyBird

Default Compatable Aquatic Critters

I currently own a 55-gallon tank with a 225 gph filter (with measures taken to neutralize the strength of the water flow) that houses seven firebelly toads (six Oriental, one European). For many reasons I won't bother to explain, I had to "refresh" the tank; the toads were in a container for a couple days while I scrubbed clean the tank, hand rinsed all the gravel etc etc etc and then put it all back together. It's doing well, though most my plants I had in there died. I have plans to replace them already.

This time around, I decided to change things up and I re-set up the cage in such a way that it highlights the underwater section in addition to the land. With my filter and the regular water changes, I know that it would be entirely feasible to house ghost shrimp and rosy minnows, both of which are very hardy (I have successfully kept the minnows, I have never tried ghost shrimp). My question is, what other aquatic creatures can I keep in there as well? The water is about three inches deep, though to a limited extent I have the ability to make it deeper (to four, maybe five inches. Any more and I'd have to take large measures to arrange the land area).

I've heard that pleco would do well. I do have another tank (also 55-gallon) just for fish that I will be setting up very soon, so any fish that display adverse reaction or outgrow the tank (such as pleco) would be moved to that. I am perfectly fine with experimenting.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

jlneely7

Default Re: Compatable Aquatic Critters

I have no answer to give, but would love to know what all you come up with. I'm in the same situation. Want something to highlight/add to the water section. Please post anything that you find that's compatible. Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I too am wondering what you can put in there. I saw someone with guppies but wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Hopefully one of the many experts here can help us out!
    • 1.2.0 Azazel, Matrix & Minnie
    • 0.1.0 Felis catus (Maine Coon Mix & Siamese Mix) - Daisy & Donald
    • 1.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris (Siberian Husky) - Hermes
    • 2.0.0 Mini-Me Minions - Aiden & Peyton

Pluke

Here's a "video" of a sweet fire belly toad setup with Cherry shrimp and Guppies, all of which are breeding in the same tank.. looks pretty sweet.

Our 55 Gallon Planted Vivarium - YouTube (This isn't mine, just a vid I stumbled upon.)

Surrealasm

Quote Originally Posted by FinnyBird View Post
    I've heard that pleco would do well. I do have another tank (also 55-gallon) just for fish that I will be setting up very soon, so any fish that display adverse reaction or outgrow the tank (such as pleco) would be moved to that. I am perfectly fine with experimenting.
    I'd be careful with Plecos... they're kind of a misleading fish. First of all, they will grow, and grow and grow. Secondly, like I said, they're not quite as beginner-friendly as you might assume.

Give me an estimate of how many total gallons of water you have, and I'd love to help you figure out some options.

MantisMan

if u put standing plants in the cage, green treefrogs get along fairly well with the toads

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with avoiding plecs. They have a spiny top fin and they grow pretty large.

Avoid goldfish. They will dirty your water quickly.

Guppies work well and can provide some nice color. I had a Betta in mine and two small albino catfish and they did well together.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Surrealasm

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    I agree with avoiding plecs. They have a spiny top fin and they grow pretty large.

Avoid goldfish. They will dirty your water quickly.

Guppies work well and can provide some nice color. I had a Betta in mine and two small albino catfish and they did well together.

Actually this is the best advice. Be careful with Betta though, they all have very different personalities. You'd need one that is very mellow. Additionally, Dwarf Guoramis would do nicely. They're very similar to the betta in that they have an organ allowing them to breathe air as well as using their gills.

Also, check out this website to make sure you're not overloading your tank:AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

It might also be necessary to check into cycling your tank before you get started, or at least by a nitrite/nitrate/ammonia testing kit.

Nationality
    [United States]

Surrealasm's got it to a "T" .

I should add that my Betta and catfish lived together before I added my toads.

I definitely believe in cycling your tank first. If you've never had fish or aquatic animals, your tank will go through a bacterial burst, will get cloudy and stinky. This is important and allows the good bacteria to bloom and settle in. They will help keep waste product breakdown by the fish and critters in balance, to a point. A filter is still needed. During this time you might lose a fish or two if partial water changes are not done. This allows the bacteria to settle into your rocks and filter. It is good to start with a fish your not too fond of in case it does not tolerate the cycle. I've found that week 2 or 3 is about the time of the burst. Once your tank cycles through you can add your frogs or toads. I'm not very good at explaining it.

Surrealasm, any words or guidance to assist?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

JoshXcore

I have a yellow snail in with mine and it doesn't bother the toads and they don't bother it.

ApxWingman

This may sound like a dumb question, but I am doing something similar to my current build, but what do you mean by cycling the tank?

MantisMan

Quote Originally Posted by JoshXcore View Post
    I have a yellow snail in with mine and it doesn't bother the toads and they don't bother it.
    BE CAREFUL with snails!! when i bred my firebelly toads, the aquatic plants i bought contained snail eggs i didnt know about and they infested the tadpole tank and caused problems

MantisMan

Quote Originally Posted by ApxWingman View Post
    This may sound like a dumb question, but I am doing something similar to my current build, but what do you mean by cycling the tank?
    it means don't leave the same animal in there at all times
    put something in for a month or 2, then remove it and swap it out for somethings else, then repeat a few times and start again to complete the cycle...

Nationality
    [United States]

A nitrogen cycle which happens in every water tank.

Here is a nice article that explains the process that occurs.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/bi...rogencycle.htm

Nationality
    [United States]

I posted this article as a teaching guide. The articles that teach how to neutralize the ph may not apply as safe treatment for frogs. The best thing to do to keep waste products at a minimum is to do partial water changes, change your filter pad in your filter as recommended by the filter instructions or a minimum of every 3 months, to remove visible waste contaminates such as feces and dead crickets, and to maintain the proper tank to frog or fish ratios according to the size of your tank, basically avoid overcrowding. Adding live plants helps also due to their oxygen producing qualities. Aerating the water with a fine bubble stone may also help for those who do not use a filter. Weekly water changes should be done for a non-filtered pond, and daily water changes for a water bowl.

Hope this helps .

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with the snails...if you put in a snail be careful of which species you chose bc some are asexual and can produce their own babies by the hundreds in no time at all. They leave a slime layer and you may end up with tons of babies everywhere. They also can damage your plants. I am not familiar with snail species names, but the small blackish brown ones are a nuisance.

The ones who do not reproduce on their own may be ok?

ApxWingman

Quote Originally Posted by MantisMan View Post
    it means don't leave the same animal in there at all times
    put something in for a month or 2, then remove it and swap it out for somethings else, then repeat a few times and start again to complete the cycle...
    Thanks for the explanation! I stay ontop of changing the filter pads every couple of months, and weekly water changes.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ApxWingman View Post
    As the saying goes (and we can all vouch for this), there is never a dumb question here. The more you know...yadayada Ask away, at least one more of us is wondering the same thing more likely than not
    • 1.2.0 Azazel, Matrix & Minnie
    • 0.1.0 Felis catus (Maine Coon Mix & Siamese Mix) - Daisy & Donald
    • 1.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris (Siberian Husky) - Hermes
    • 2.0.0 Mini-Me Minions - Aiden & Peyton

Nationality
    [United States]

You're welcome. It's a good thing to know when dealing with 'wet' tanks. Not a dumb question at all. It's something most people don't know unless they've had a fish tank .

ApxWingman

lol thanks. I have never really owned fish before, and since I will be adding to my new tank, it is excellent to know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information