Thread: Please help, constipated juvinielle leopard frog

Mattiez

Default Please help, constipated juvinielle leopard frog

I have a juvenile leopard frog in a 10 gallon tank. I've had him since early July. When I got him, (some people had just left him in a critter keeper at a petstore) they told the girl working there that he just fully absorbed his tail. At first, I fed him fruitflies, then small crickets. It was astounding how fast he grew. Now he's about 2 inches long. His appetite was always voracious, and I fed him every day. Recently I ran out of crickets and wasn't able to get more until around 2-3 days after he last ate. When I did get them, they were slightly larger than the ones he normally got (but still considered the small size at the pet store). I gave him a handful, and he want crazy with them and had a great time stalking and devouring them. He defecates almost exclusively in his water bowl, which I change daily. The problem is that I have not found feces since I fed him, around 5-6 days ago. Needless to say, after the first couple days of not seeing defecation, I decided not to feed again until I made sure everything passed correctly. Now my fear is that this has yet to happen. He's on coco dirt and has no pebbles or anything impactable in his tank. His day time temperature is around 70-72 and it dips to the upper 60s at night. I live in Chicago and we recently just got a large drop in temperature, so initially after eating it may have been colder than usual in his tank. His behavior is normal from what I can tell. In the day, he just sits either in his little house or under some sort of cover and moves positions here and there. At night he becomes more active, I hear him moving around and entering his water dish. I've searched the tank for his feces and have found nothing. They're always really huge from him so I was expecting a large piece. I feel horribly helpless and would try anything to help him. I'm very sad and scared because I love him dearly and on top of that I just bought him a new much larger tank that I was in the process of converting to a 1/3 land 2/3 water environment. Also, my firebelly who is smaller than his guy was able to pass the same sized crickets with out any problem. They're only about 1/2 an inch long. Thank you all in advance for your help and time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Please help, constipated juvinielle leopard frog

I wouldn't bet on "constipation" as you call it and if it is an impaction there's not a heck of a lot you can do about it anyhow. I suspect he's holding on to it or he has sneaked one past you. Many frogs will defecate shortly after eating so I would feed him normally. Good luck.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Mattiez

Default Re: Please help, constipated juvinielle leopard frog

Thank heavens when I returned today he left two substantial movements as presents for me. Of course he waited for me to post, so as to make a fool of me

As always, thank you for advice!

Thread Information