Thread: Awkward hind legs on ornate pacman.

Evolution

Default Awkward hind legs on ornate pacman.

Swamps been like this since I got her as a baby she seems to sit completely on her legs and walks funny. It doesn't seem to bother her feeding or burrowing though she doesn't dig in a lot but can when she wants to. So I'd like to know if this is a problem for anyone elses pacmans. She does get calcium d3 supplements just for added info.
    Name:  leg.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  132.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

arielgasca420

Default Re: Awkward hind legs on ornate pacman.

she is a beautiful frog and I dont think there is much you can do with a leg like that. I dont know if surgery is even possible. I like frogs with deformities and I think it gives them character. I am glad she doesnt have too many obstacles with eating and digging, but maybe you can help start a hole for her to settle in to.

4. This member thanks arielgasca420 for this post:

Evolution

Since its just a deformity it doesn't really bother me. And when I clean out her tank next time i think i will do as you said and start a hole for her. As she only digs in one corner of her tank its easy to know what spot to pick for her (top right corner The only thing i think that is hard for her is to get out of her water dish. It always seems to be a bit of a pain for her, she splashes all the water out. I think thats why she rarely sits in it.

arielgasca420

maybe you can modify the water dish and make her a ramp to get in or pick a flat stone and put it in the dish so she has a little more height to get out.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
    Since its just a deformity it doesn't really bother me. And when I clean out her tank next time i think i will do as you said and start a hole for her. As she only digs in one corner of her tank its easy to know what spot to pick for her (top right corner The only thing i think that is hard for her is to get out of her water dish. It always seems to be a bit of a pain for her, she splashes all the water out. I think thats why she rarely sits in it.
    I always place a depression in any of my frogs favorite burrowing spots after changing their substrate. Makes them feel secure knowing that it is still their home even though it may smell different. Reduces stress so they don't feel they're in a new environment.

Evolution

Its a very shallow water dish so i'm not sure i could find a flat enough rock. But maybe cutting out part of the dish up to the lip and adding a rubber coating to it will give her less dish to pull herself over and more grip. I currently just bury it as much as i can with eco earth. Makes the dish dirty but eh daily water changes anyways.

Nationality
    [United States]

Most likely, the leg got broken at a young age and healed incorrectly. It's possible something went wrong when she morphed. Frogs can overcome disabilities if given the chance. Does she have trouble shedding? One of mine has slight scoliosis and he has some trouble shedding. But other than that he has good mobility and is healthy.

She may need a little special care, but it's worth it!!

Evolution

Both legs are like that. I think her pelvic girdle may have formed at the wrong angle. She has no problem shedding though. She's only ever had one problem and that was an impaction about a month ago which is still weird cause I dissected the poop when she finally went and found a beetle wing in it, and i don't feed beetles. And yeah Swamp is very much worth it. I was originally a bigger fan of pixie frogs until I got Swamp and saw her bright colors in person.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's really good that it doesn't cause her too much trouble! Yeah, they are some very beautiful frogs! I used to think ornate were a little over-rated until I actually got one. :-D They are so much more stunning in person! It's very hard to capture most Pacs colors. I know I could stare at my red ornate aaaall night long. Ok, ok, I could stare at any of my frogs all night and day. They are just so beautiful! :-D

Evolution

Yeah I'm glad I got her over a cane toad which was what I originally was getting with my pixie. But due to backwater reptiles not having pixies in stock at the time I went to lllreptiles and got Swamp Thing and Cthulhu. Swamp has the great colors while Cthulhu has the quirky personality. Backwater reptiles not so great way of business was good kind of lol.

Thread Information