Thread: new here!

riles

Default new here!

hi everyone! as the title states, i am new to the forum. i made this profile in case i ever need help with my new-ish pacman frog. see, i rescued him from a petsmart. he was in a tiny critte keeper with multi colorpebbles with a little bowl filled with mealworms.everything you could do wrong, went wrong. its been two months since i got him and so far he has pooped three green pebbles and a nice pink one. in the past month he has worked his appetite up and has become a happy little frog... i hope, haha. so the only ral questions i have for him are, how often do they poop? my whites tree frog poops everynight while my pacman goes maybe once a week. is this normal? also, can you tellme what type he/she is? (cranwelli, chacoan, etc.) and finally, how long until he/she has reached maximum size? atached are some pics. thanks in advance!Name:  zoo and such 025.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  159.5 KBName:  539751_417308564978082_1556975718_n[1].jpg
Views: 88
Size:  62.9 KB
    Last edited by riles; August 15th, 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typed wrong words. lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Evolution

Default Re: new here!

Welcome to the board riles. Nice looking frog. I'd guess it was a cranwelli. My pac pooped every 3 or 4 days when it was younger and once a week now that she 5 months old.

riles

thanks! and now that i know its most likely a cranwelli, i have a follow up question, do they have any special requirements compared to the other species?

Namio

Welcome to the forum riles! It looks like a Cranwelli to me, too. Depending on how big your frog is the pooping frequency changes according to age. The younger the animal, like Evolution said, poops once every 3~4 days, and adults may poop once a week or longer, while your frog now might sit anywhere between those two age groups.

I'm getting a little worked up with Petsmart from your description of their captive conditions. The closest large pet chain store (14 miles) to me is a Petco and although not perfect, the way they keep their animals are surprisingly acceptable, at least for pacman frogs, the substrate is always EcoEarth, their food is always crickets, a hideout, and they're also provided with a small water dish. However, they do mislabel their Cranwelli as the ornate horned frog.

The only Petsmart I've been to was near San Francisco and surprisingly they do not have any live herp animals, now that I realize it's a GREAT thing that they don't, but I was impressed by their reptile/amphibian supplies aisle as they have a reasonable selection of terrariums, lights, supplement, etc. Petco in comparison has virtually nothing to offer in their herps section.

Do me a favor, if you have the address of that Petsmart send it to me and I will call them to inform about the correct way of keeping their Ceratophrys. This is to their benefit, too, because they don't want to have dead frogs returned to them.

In case the little guy you have might still got some colorful pebbles in its belly, i would recommend feeding pieces (of the length between the eyes of your frog) of large Canadian nightcrawlers (undyed), because earthworms can act as a poop softener and may aide in pushing those hazardous objects out of it's digestive tracks.

riles

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    I'm getting a little worked up with Petsmart from your description of their captive conditions. The closest large pet chain store (14 miles) to me is a Petco and although not perfect, the way they keep their animals are surprisingly acceptable, at least for pacman frogs, the substrate is always EcoEarth, their food is always crickets, a hideout, and they're also provided with a small water dish. However, they do mislabel their Cranwelli as the ornate horned frog.

Do me a favor, if you have the address of that Petsmart send it to me and I will call them to inform about the correct way of keeping their Ceratophrys. This is to their benefit, too, because they don't want to have dead frogs returned to them.

I personally think this is the master plan of Petsmart. To sell things quickly and make more money, appeal to the emotion of pity to the buyer. "I feel so bad for this little guy... I MUST Help HIM. "
    and, I wish I could. I bought this little guy on vacation in Florida.... So I don't know which one it was...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I think that is the case as well with ours (well, our Petco here in town.) I plan on rescuing some red bellies from there myself this weekend!

Where are my manners? Welcome to the forums! So glad to have you and your lil one join us.
    • 1.2.0 Azazel, Matrix & Minnie
    • 0.1.0 Felis catus (Maine Coon Mix & Siamese Mix) - Daisy & Donald
    • 1.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris (Siberian Husky) - Hermes
    • 2.0.0 Mini-Me Minions - Aiden & Peyton

riles

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    I plan on rescuing some red bellies from there myself this weekend!
    lol, I would rescue some myself, as I think these Guys are soooo cool, with their bright colors and shtuff, but I have to many reptiles already! and, thanks for the welcoming guysss!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by riles View Post
    lol, I would rescue some myself, as I think these Guys are soooo cool, with their bright colors and shtuff, but I have to many reptiles already! and, thanks for the welcoming guysss!
    These will be my first frogs/toads, so I'm excited. But I imagine after them, hubby will put the brakes on anything else I want for a loooong time What else do you have besides your pacman?

riles

@faith I have 2 whites tree frogs, 1 painted turtle hatchling, 3 leopard geckos, 1 pacman frog, and 1 gray tRee frog. *note I am only 16 and all my stuff is limited to my bedroom. I would put my treefrogs down stairs put my parents har a fear of anything that moves. Its a wonder they allowed me to even have a frOg. Lol

riles

Oh, ad congrats on your first frog!

justpeachy

Welcome riles! I just love your new little guy he/she is so cute. I myself am new to this and frogs so I wont offer any advice. Just a Hi and have a peachy day!

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to Frog Forum.

You have a Chadian Horned Frog(Ceratophrys Cranwelli) Lol! This way you know that they are one in the same

You've already been given good advice, but how often they poop is determined by a few factors. Correct climate conditions, Substrate moistness, his often they eat and how much, and the frogs overall metabolism. They do not always go much less frequently as they age, but most do. Every 3 to 5 days is the average so you're ok, but make sure he passes every stone or he may become impacted and die. Keep a close eye on him.

Nice Cranwelli.

IvoryReptiles

Hello & Welcome to the forums!!
    You do indeed have a C. cranwelli and it is the most common Pacman Frog in the hobby, most care sheets refer to them.
    At that size, we usually offer food daily and the diet is primarily earthworms/nightcrawlers. At this size, you need to cut appropriate sized bits off of the worms for the frog. Poop is normally every 2 to 3 days for ours depending on how much & how often they eat. The earthworms can also act as a mild laxative and may help get him to move any pebbles left inside if any.
    Best of luck!!

riles

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Welcome to Frog Forum.

You have a Chadian Horned Frog(Ceratophrys Cranwelli) Lol! This way you know that they are one in the same

You've already been given good advice, but how often they poop is determined by a few factors. Correct climate conditions, Substrate moistness, his often they eat and how much, and the frogs overall metabolism. They do not always go much less frequently as they age, but most do. Every 3 to 5 days is the average so you're ok, but make sure he passes every stone or he may become impacted and die. Keep a close eye on him.

Nice Cranwelli.
    thanks! I think he is clear with the pebbles though, just because I used to be able to see the little colored stones in his stomach when I held him up to a light but I think I can't see any of that now so I'm hoping that was the last of it. :P and, no one has seemed tO answer thi question yet, but what age do they reach full size, do you know? THANKS!

riles

Thanks ivory reptiles! Although, no one near me caries night crawlers at the moment. Are crickets good for right now? As my freinds dad owns the nearest petstore and said he could get some in for me.

Eric Buschman

Welcome! Nice looking frog!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Welcome to Frog Forum.

Nice Cranwelli.
    It was supposed to say Chacoan Lol! My phone gets annoying sometimes.

They reach sexual maturity anywhere from 8 month to a year.

TeeRiddle

Welcome riles! Great looking couple you have there

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by riles View Post
    @faith I have 2 whites tree frogs, 1 painted turtle hatchling, 3 leopard geckos, 1 pacman frog, and 1 gray tRee frog. *note I am only 16 and all my stuff is limited to my bedroom. I would put my treefrogs down stairs put my parents har a fear of anything that moves. Its a wonder they allowed me to even have a frOg. Lol
    That is awesome! My mom let me have one non-farm pet, an iguana, when I was 16. Anything else and I'd have been sleeping outdoors I hope my boys are still interested when they get older, we'll all 3 gang up on their dad for more How old are your other pets?

Thread Information