Thread: Inconnu is not looking well these days

LizardMama

Default Inconnu is not looking well these days

Last month my original Gray Tree Frog was healthy, had good weight on him and was active, this month though all he has done is sit in a corner. I thought that he was eating when I threw in the crickets but tonight when I picked him up I noticed that he is T-H-I-N!!! He don't hop he drops, he climbs well yes but when I picked him up he didn't hop but just dropped to the floor of the cage and didn't move, he acted like he didn't know what was happening (first time I picked him up he just fell and didn't move, I thought he was dead until after I'd say 10-15 seconds he moved). I did put a handful (12) crickets in the cage (this months supply of crickets was not what I was expecting so I've had to skip 1 extra day to ensure that the crickets last the month). I do have Wax Worms do you think I can feed my Gray Tree Frogs them? The other frogs in the cage are lively, they were interested in the crickets when I threw them in. I'm not sure on the ages of the frogs in my Tree Frog tank, 3 of them were adults when I found them (all wild caught).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LazyEyedFroggie

Default Re: Inconnu is not looking well these days

Is he smaller (in length) than the others? He may be getting 'bullied'. I'd suggest you take him out of the enclosure and into a separate small tank. Keep it simple. Just get a few hiding places in it, a water bowl, and some crickets or waxworms. Watch him constantly for an hour or two. If he doesn't eat anything within that time it may be time to force feed him considering the severity of his malnutrition. Hold the frog in your left hand with its legs restrained. Take a thin, blunt, plastic object (credit card, guitar pick...) and pry its mouth open. Depress the tongue and hold the card in place without letting him spit it out. Push a dead insect toward the back of his throat and remove the card slowly. He should swallow it, but this may take a few tries. Good luck.

LizardMama

I had this frog separated from the others the month before last, although he did well I did put him back in with the other frogs and I have not seen any type of bullying, although he hasn't ever been as wide as the other two males in the tank he was in good condition (not thin). He's the same size as the other two male Gray Tree Frogs (1.6 inches).

LazyEyedFroggie

May I ask why he was separated a couple of months ago? He may be literally scared of the other males. Some frogs just do better on their own and I think he may be one of them. Keep the tank incredibly basic until his weight is up. Then you can add more interesting things to keep him active and strong. At that time you may even be able to introduce him to a new slightly smaller frog so he can be the dominant one and not live in fear.

LizardMama

Yeah I was preparing myself for getting a Pacman Frog this month and since both frogs needs are pretty similar I had decided to separate one from the others to make sure the they cage setup was accurate. Even though he did well in the cage (spent 3 weeks in it) he wasn't acting the same as he was when he was with the other frogs so I put him back in and he ate almost every feeding, was much more active and healthy.

Thread Information