Thread: Got my first dart frog tank this weekend and excited to start THE best hobby ever!

Zeerid

Default Got my first dart frog tank this weekend and excited to start THE best hobby ever!

Hello everyone. I just got my first dart frog tank this weekend. I’ve got it setup and am now just monitoring the temp and humidity levels. I don’t plan on getting my first little frog for about a month. The moss needs to grow in a bit more and I want to make sure my plants are growing well. I’m excited to chat with all of you as well as get to know the hobby better.

Name:  018.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  66.4 KBName:  019.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  59.2 KB

adinco

Default Re: Got my first dart frog tank this weekend and excited to start THE best hobby ever!

welcome! I'm new here too with 2 firebellies!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Got my first dart frog tank this weekend and excited to start THE best hobby ever!

hey and welcome your set up looks good but i would add another plant in the middle and leaf litter and i personally wouldnt use a big water area there not good swimmers.

Zeerid

There isn’t actually a pool of water in the water feature. There are rocks that stay constantly moist but no standing water. As the tank gets more established and I get closer to getting the frogs I will add little decorative saucers with drinking water. Leaf litter is a great idea though.oh, and i will add some hides too.

Nationality
    [United States]

ok sounds good . what kind of darts were you thinking about?

Zeerid

From what I’ve read Dendrobate azureus are good starter frogs, bumblebees are also good. I really like cobalt’s too. I seem to remember reading somewhere though that bumblebees can be territorial though. So I may go with cobalt and a Dendrobate azureus. I thought about one or two bumble bee walking toads too but not sure if you can mix them with darts. I would think you could though right?

Nationality
    [United States]

actually azureus and tinctorius (such as the cobalts) females are the ones that are territorial. D.leucomelas will live together with out a problem. and no never mix species

Zeerid

oh okay good to know. thanks.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nice PDF setup.

I think you'll be happy with any of the frogs your thinking of.

What type lighting are you using for the plants?

Zeerid

Reptile glo 10.0 uvb. I think it may be the wrong kind I’m switching it out to a full spectrum florescent. Our local "pet store doesn’t carry a lot of variety. So when I head to a bigger city I’ll get a more suitable light.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums - beautiful setup! You've definitely did your research Can't wait to see your little ones when you get 'em!
    • 1.2.0 Azazel, Matrix & Minnie
    • 0.1.0 Felis catus (Maine Coon Mix & Siamese Mix) - Daisy & Donald
    • 1.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris (Siberian Husky) - Hermes
    • 2.0.0 Mini-Me Minions - Aiden & Peyton

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeerid View Post
    Reptile glo 10.0 uvb. I think it may be the wrong kind I’m switching it out to a full spectrum florescent. Our local "pet store doesn’t carry a lot of variety. So when I head to a bigger city I’ll get a more suitable light.

To get the most from your plants and moss, make sure your using 6500K or similar color temp lighting. No need for UVB bulbs so get something that is going to benefit the plants. I use T5 and have found that the wattage, color temp, and lower generated temps have made my plants and moss really take off. I even plan on building in T5 to my frog rack under each shelf.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Zeerid

Awesome thanks for the help. I will pick up one of those this coming weekend!

Nationality
    [United States]

Once you dart, you just can't stop
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Tree Frog's
    1.1.0 Big Eyed Tree Frog's
    1.2.4 Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Azureus
    0.1.0 Mixed Breed Puppy <3
    Way too many fish

Zeerid

oh i know! i check my tank like every ten seconds. i'm gunna be a wreck when i actually get my little frogs!

Frog Tropics

Gorgeous set-up! Welcome to the forum... I, too, think that any of the frogs you mention would make great starter frogs. I personally have a soft spot for tincs (diurnal frogs in general), but any of the ones you mention would make a fine addition. Good luck and keep us posted!

connor111699

Welcome!

Thread Information