Thread: Building another Vivarium

lilblack94gt

Default Building another Vivarium

The Vivarium bug has officially bitten me..... I have an Exo Terra glass terrarium that is 18x18x24. I have been drawing up design ideas to try to figure out how I want to do this viv. I thought about attempting a waterfall, but am not too sure about it yet. People I have talked to, say that the water ends up turning a red color from the eco earth and then getting foamy. Anyone know how to get around that? I tossed aroung the idea that instead of having the waterfall empty into the substrate, that I will create a water fall and a basin, out of either great foam and black silicone, or foam and grout. Any thoughts on that or suggestions?

I want to get some RETF for this enclosure, so I am trying to design it to their needs. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ndame88

Default Re: Building another Vivarium

If you are going to add a water feature, just make sure you think it through, make sure you have access to the pump/filter in case you have mechanical failure, then you can replace it. Below is an image of my build, now its a lot bigger then yours, but the large PVC on the left is for the intake, which is large enough to fit a small pump and canister filter intake without ripping my background apart

Name:  IMG_1224.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  6.1 KB

Name:  asdggg.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  8.3 KB

lilblack94gt

So, other than PVC and wood, what did you use to create your waterfall? I wanted to do mine in the one corner and then have a stream run diagonally to the other front corner. Was thinking about having a shallow "pond" in there.

I have beardies, and have heard of people using the blue or pink insulation board and using liquid nails to hold it together and then carving it. Once they were done, covering it with grout, and then sealing it. Was wondering if this method would be safe to use for frogs? Of course there is a certain type of grout and sealer they recommend you use that is supposed to be safe for critters. And you have to let it "air" for a while to allow the fumes to dissipate.

My Exo Terra cage came with one of those fake backgrounds that are made out of foam and are supposed to resemble rocks. I was thinking about using it instead of the great stuff foam to create my background. Its older anyways and not very pretty, so if i cut it up and cover it with black silicone and then eco earth, it wouldnt be a big loss if i screw up.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes, you can use the same procedure. Use clear 100% aquarium silicone to seal it.

Ideas...http://www.lizard-landscapes.com

This is my favorite site. Look at the waterfalls. You can make any design, shape, etc with this general process.

You can also use the great stuff foam method.

If you create a false bottom and use fine netting the water shouldn't be too bad. You can also use a hydroball layer or large rocks (larger than your frogs mouths), such a large river rocks.

Another option is to make a self contained waterfall where the water only circulates around the waterfall and back.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

ndame88

The wood was just used to keep the foam within the dimensions I needed it to be, like a form. Each piece was cut, then siliconed together, then coats of unsanded grout, then 3 coats of Drylok.

Name:  asdrtt.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  8.1 KBName:  photo (2).jpg
Views: 3992
Size:  96.3 KBName:  photo (3).jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  82.6 KB

ndame88

Next build will be with GS, silicone, and Eco Earth with a little simpler water fall like this: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...e-guide-2.html

Thread Information