Thread: Green Tree Frog Questions

lilblack94gt

Default Green Tree Frog Questions

So, I have had my viv set up for several months and have live plants in it. I had been trying to decide what type of frog to get, as I have never had one. I finally settled on a Green Tree Frog. It is very active and seems to like his new home. But I have a few questions and was hoping maybe someone on here may be able to help me out.

1. How do you sex a green tree frog?
    2. How many green tree frogs can I house in a 10 gal viv?
    3. Do green tree frogs call, and what does it sound like?

I would like to get a few more green tree frogs, but want to make sure this one settles in without any issues first. Plus, I want to make sure my 10 gal viv is big enough. If not, I guess it will just give me reason to get a bigger tank and try my hand at building a better enclosure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Green Tree Frog Questions

The only way to sex would be to hear it call. You can possibly get him to call if you look up "Green Tree Frog call" on Youtube and play it near his/her tank. I can get my GTF to call back if I play it on YouTube. Usually the calculation is one frog per 10 gallons, but you could possibly be okay with another GTF in a 10 gallon. But, if you want more you'd definitely want to upgrade! I answered your third question with the first one.

Rae

I agree with Kitti except for adding a second frog in a 10gallon. Greys are slightly smaller and I was told that 2 shouldn't be in a 10 gallon. The 10 gallon min per frog rule is a safer approach... also make sure its in a verticle tank... tree frogs like height... min 24" is recommended. I agree You tube is great for hearing calls XD. I have 1 male and 2 unknowns ... Frodo calls that is the only reason I know hes a male... his size made everyone here think he was a female until he called lol. So size isn't even an exact science either becase my male is bigger than what the care sheet said a male gets too.

lilblack94gt

Thanks! I am def planning on getting a bigger tank the next time Petco has their dollar sale. I will have to look up the calls on youtube. He is green in color, with a white belly and has a white stripe down each side, from his front legs to his back legs. Pretty active lil fella.

lilblack94gt

Well, I played the Green Tree Frog call from YouTube, and my frog didn't call back. So, either I have a female, or just have a male that didn't feel like calling.

Rae

Could be either Frodo rarely calls back to it but if we play it while he is calling he will try ad call louder lol. Many call more in the spring and at night but mine calls whenever but not in a few weeks

Thread Information