Thread: Herptivite instructions confusing

lovenokia

Default Herptivite instructions confusing

I finally was able to find some herptivite, but the instructions are confusing me. From reading forums, it says to never have multivitamins and calcium on the same day. The instructions says to mix herptivite with calcium, then dust crickets to feed to frog. Is that right, because this doesn't sound right to me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

IvoryReptiles

Default Re: Herptivite instructions confusing

We have always done ours separately to have better control of what exactly goes into our frogs and to make absorption better.

lovenokia

Currently I have reptivite and herptivite. I dust reptivite twice a week on crickets, but I am told to dust herptivite only once. I should only dust herptivite only regardless of what the instructions say?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by lovenokia View Post
    Currently I have reptivite and herptivite. I dust reptivite twice a week on crickets, but I am told to dust herptivite only once. I should only dust herptivite only regardless of what the instructions say?
    Follow our advice it is spot on. You don't want to mix it with calcium. Offer them seperately. those instructions are for reptiles and even then I would still offer separately. You see Horned frog grow very fast and need a lot of calcium. They absorb the calcium much faster and effectively when it is not mixed with the multivitamin. When mixed most of the vitamins and calcium will not be absorbed and pass right through their system fruitlessly.

Nationality
    [United States]

I would recommend using the herptivite one day a week and the calcium/Vita D3 every other day, but not on the same day as the herptivite.

Example:

Monday-herptivite
    Tuesday-none
    Wednesday-Ca++
    Thursday-none
    Friday-Ca++
    Saturday-none
    Sunday-Ca++
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Namio

I could not find any researches from credible sources that indicate it is better for the frog to separately dust Calc. & Vitamins. So, scientifically it may not yet be proven. But, like Jess from IvoryReptiles said, I find it MUCH easier to control each supplement by dusting them separately, plus, it doesn't hurt the frog to dust separately. I can only see it to be potentially beneficial to the digestion of those supplement instead of harmful. Summing it up, it's completely fine to follow the herptivite instructions but it's highly recommended to dust separately like everyone is saying on here.

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    I would recommend using the herptivite one day a week and the calcium/Vita D3 every other day, but not on the same day as the herptivite.

Example:

Monday-herptivite
    Tuesday-none
    Wednesday-Ca++
    Thursday-none
    Friday-Ca++
    Saturday-none
    Sunday-Ca++
    Calcium needs to be given three times a week?

Nationality
    [United States]

Calcium needs to be given three times a week?
    Yes!!! They need a lot of calcium.

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Yes!!! They need a lot of calcium.
    I was told 2, but if 3 is better than 3 i shall do! Can i give calcium two days in a row or not?

Nationality
    [United States]

I was told 2, but if 3 is better than 3 i shall do! Can i give calcium two days in a row or not?
    Best not to.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Best not to.
    The amount of calcium given is also going to depend on how often the animal eats prey items with bones in them. Pinkies should always be dipped in calcium when given, as they have weak bone structure and are low in calcium.
    The Pacman food does not need to be given with supplements because they are already in them.

I'm assuming you would give calcium three times a week to a baby frog. Once they get over two inches they arent going to need to eat but every two or three days, adults, even less.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    The amount of calcium given is also going to depend on how often the animal eats prey items with bones in them. Pinkies should always be dipped in calcium when given, as they have weak bone structure and are low in calcium.
    The Pacman food does not need to be given with supplements because they are already in them.

I'm assuming you would give calcium three times a week to a baby frog. Once they get over two inches they arent going to need to eat but every two or three days, adults, even less.
    That's not correct. A 2.5" female still has significant growth to undergo and therefore would still need that large amount of calcium to maintain the bone strength as they grow. Large juveniles and adults don't have to be given as much calcium once they've reached their peak growth and are Fed less often. Calcium is also an electrolyte and used to assist in hydration so even large frogs still need a good source of calcium, but it will be less often because they are Fed less.

The Pacman Food is an All in one source, but when feeding other items such as invertebrates it is best to provide a calcium supplement and yes even with small invertebrates like pinkies. Most people don't use the Pac food as a staple due to cost and availability so even I only provide it as a treat.

aquamentus11

grif's right: I've only ever mixed the Ca2+ and vit for reptiles and there's no harm in separating the two even for them. For my juvie fantasy, I dust my crickets/worms with Ca2+ w/o D3 5x a week then Saturday with Ca2+ w/D3 and Sunday with herpivite. I believe the vitamin powder has D3 in it, but 2 days a week with D3 isn't going to hurt anyone. I plan to continue this regimen until he/she is fully grown. Keep in mind that there's always the danger of toxicity with any sort of supplement, so don't overdo it with the D3: calcium toxicity is just as bad as calcium deficiency and can actually cause death/coma more quickly. As grif said, proper Ca2+ helps with hydration, but too much can actually dehydrate them. They're nocturnal and produce their own D3 anyway, I just give it because I don't provide UVB and it makes me feel better.

Nationality
    [United States]

Me too. And I also give my pacs daily soaks in their water bowls after dinner.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information