Thread: Sick red eyed tree frog

KaylaSt

Unhappy Sick red eyed tree frog

Hi. I am new to tree frogs I have had fire bellied toads for over a year now and decided to upgrade and have two tree frogs as well. The one is doing great but one of them has just this past day become very splotchy in color...varying from almost a white green to dark green. He also has not been eating and doesn't curl up to sleep. He just sits on the ground. I found him sleeping in the dirt with his mouth open and it was full of dirt. I am worried there is something very wrong. I put him in a separate tank with some water and 3 crickets to see if he starts eating. He has gotten very thin and bony. I am so worried. Any ideas??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Sick red eyed tree frog

It needs to see a vet immediately. I assume the other red-eye has been also housed with the sick one, if so it would be very prudent to take them both to the vet.
    Please, tell me they were not housed with the fire-bellies, as Bombina orientalis is quite toxic.

KaylaSt

No they weren't housed with the fire bellies. Both species have their own separate tanks. There won't be a vet open for another 13 hours at least. Do you think it will make it? Also, he seems to becoming a little more active as times passes. Could the terrarium dirt have played a part in making him sick?

frog220

where did you buy your red eyes from?

KaylaSt

It was a store called Homes Alive. Every time we have gone for something from them they seem to know a lot and give you so much information that has been very helpful so far. They saved my fire bellies when the other store gave me faulty info on their diet. But I could be wrong.... I dunno.

frog220

you should try giving them a call asap or what kurt said.sorry to say but it seems theyre might be something wrong with your red eye.

KaylaSt

Yeah he died already. Think my other one has it now too :-( She will be going to the vet tomorrow because I don't want to lose them both. I just hope there is something they can do for it.

frog220

sorry to hear that i know how it feels i had one die on me a couple of months ago.

Kurt

I can't say what has made him ill or what the illness could be. A few ideas come to mind but will let your vet make a proper diagnosis.

KaylaSt

Well apparently where I live doesn't have any vet specializing in reptiles, especially frogs. They have vets that CAN treat them but apparently they are not good to diagnose. The closest one is about two and a half hours away. Would that even be worth it?

Kurt

If it you that was deathly ill, would two hours away be too far away to save your life?

KaylaSt

Oh no I definitely agree that it's worth a life, but my guy had passed in two hours of us noticing he was sick. I was just worried that the car ride would be more damaging to his health.... if that makes sense.

Kurt

I guess.

KaylaSt

I had my other froggy looked at and I got the okay to get her another buddy before I went and got one. Just to make sure that it would be an isolated occurrence. Thank you for your help in the matter!!

Kurt

Remember, to avoid any new problems, quarantine any new animals before introducing them to your frogs.

KaylaSt

Thanks!! I will do that!

Kurt

You're welcome.

Thread Information