Thread: First Time Frog Owner

Shaymac620

Default First Time Frog Owner

Back in May some Gray Tree Frogs laid eggs on our pool cover, so my sisters and I decided to raise the tadpoles. Now that they are all beginning to grow up and becoming froglets, we decided we wanted to keep some of them. The thing is, I have never owned a pet frog before and don't know how to take care of them. I have read the post on here about Gray Tree Frogs and that has been helpful, but has still left me with some questions. If anyone could help me out that would be great!

First off, what kind of tank should they be in?
    Where could I buy frog tanks?
    What kind of dirt/plants go in the tank?
    Could I just put backyard soil and sticks in there?
    How often does a tank need to be cleaned?
    Do the tanks need lights/temperature control?

Secondly, what kind of food should I feed them?
    Where can I buy food for them?
    Because they are still really small, do they eat other things?
    Does the food have to be living in order for them to eat it?
    How often should I feed them and does it matter what time of day they get fed?

Lastly, a random question that doesn't have to be answered:
    When will I be able to tell the gender of the frogs? And is the only way to do so by the color of their throats?

Name:  DSCN1069.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  53.8 KB
    Three of the little froglets

(Does anyone know why my pics are so small when I upload them on here and how- if possible- to make them bigger?)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

arielgasca420

Default Re: First Time Frog Owner

it seems like you may need to read some more posts because some of these questions are very basic. I can help you with some of these questions, but you should spend a good week reading and researching a lot on here for these types of frogs. send me a personal message if you need further help.

Pactolus

I too am raising a gray treefrog currently, they're one of the easiest treefrogs to care for but they are still fragile and need some specifics basics. Right now I'm keeping my froglet in a critter keeper inside a 10 gallon tank for when he's larger. I have nothing else in the enclosure but moist paper towels at the momenbt, but I'm going to get some plastic plants and branches soon. When they're this small they don't really need water bowls though they will need one when larger), just heavily mist their enclosure a couple times a day and make sure the paper towels are always moist. And ONLY use white paper towels, not the ones with color or ink on them. This page has some great info-

Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding

Rae

First off, what kind of tank should they be in? Depends on how many... once adult size you want a min. of 10gallons per frog. Also tree frogs need height so you want a min of 24" high.
    Where could I buy frog tanks? If you have a petsmart or other pets stores that sell reptiles they usually have them.
    What kind of dirt/plants go in the tank?, As froglets paper towel might be best but then coco fiber I believe is what I use
    Could I just put backyard soil and sticks in there? No, any chemicals or fertiliser in the soil can make them sick... larger sticks for decoration, perching, climbing should be fine (stay away from Cedar tree areas I read they are toxic to greys)
    How often does a tank need to be cleaned? Paper towels need to be changed quite frequently, poop scooping daily, fresh water daily... depends on amount for everything else. I do a full cleaning monthly. some do it more often or less.
    Do the tanks need lights/temperature control? Greys are hardy but heat average between 70 to 80 is good. It is not necessary for lighting but my frogs love it. I have UVA/UVB low watt bulbs in mine. NO HEAT Lights!

Secondly, what kind of food should I feed them? Crickets (pinhead crickets as froglets) is the best staple diet... once older they can have flies, moths, meal worms as treats (make sure food is no longer than the width between there eyes to prevent impaction
    Where can I buy food for them? Most reptile sellers will also sell crickets, you can call your local pet stores or order online.
    Because they are still really small, do they eat other things? pinhead crickets and fruit flies are your best bet
    Does the food have to be living in order for them to eat it? Usually yes they like the hunt, many wont touch dead ones
    How often should I feed them and does it matter what time of day they get fed? I feed mine daily 2 a crickets a night but they are adults... I think froglets need more and more frequent feedings.

Lastly, a random question that doesn't have to be answered:
    When will I be able to tell the gender of the frogs? And is the only way to do so by the color of their throat? Some claim the throat colour may be a sign of sex but it is not confirmed... But if your Frog starts calling ... Its a male

Pactolus

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Does the food have to be living in order for them to eat it? Usually yes they like the hunt, many wont touch dead ones
    MANY won't touch the dead ones? More like none. Aside from Bufo marinus and some other large toads, frogs will not eat food that isn't moving, no matter what.

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Pactolus View Post
    MANY won't touch the dead ones? More like none. Aside from Bufo marinus and some other large toads, frogs will not eat food that isn't moving, no matter what.
    It depends, if you tong feed and kind of jiggle the food infront of them many will take it. (If they are used to tong feeding)

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    It depends, if you tong feed and kind of jiggle the food infront of them many will take it. (If they are used to tong feeding)
    Thank-you XD thats what I do sometimes lol thats why I said "MANY" wont lol. Mine are so used to being tong fed I dont even have to jiggle... they just know food is on those long things in front of them.

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Thank-you XD thats what I do sometimes lol thats why I said "MANY" wont lol.
    Haha thats okay, its what I do when I accidently kill the crickets when I grab them with the tongs.

Pactolus

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    Feeding from tongs is different. I meant just eating unmoving dead food.

Thread Information