Thread: Northern Green Frog

Justonian

Default Northern Green Frog

I want to keep a Northern Green Frog because I am a beginner in keeping frogs as pets and Green Frogs are very hardy animals. I wanted to know what kind of setup I would need to house a sub-adult Male Green Frog. I would also like to know what to feed it and any other extras that could be useful. I was going to catch a wild one for my tank as there is one in my pond.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Northern Green Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Justonian View Post
    I want to keep a Northern Green Frog because I am a beginner in keeping frogs as pets and Green Frogs are very hardy animals. I wanted to know what kind of setup I would need to house a sub-adult Male Green Frog. I would also like to know what to feed it and any other extras that could be useful. I was going to catch a wild one for my tank as there is one in my pond.
    Well, I think the best would be to get a very large plastic box, which are easier to clean than an aquarium. An aquarium will also work, but you will want to have a hose to siphon the water and you will need to change it frequently.
    They are partially aquatic and spend alot of time in the water so a terrarium that is mostly water with a small landing area would be best. I would use a very large RUB (really useful box) and put several inches of dechlorinated water in it, and then position a large peice of driftwood or something it could sit on to dry off. It really wont spend much time on any sort of land but a 50/50 land water terrarium may work well. They need to be kept somewhat warm, so a low wattage incandescent neodimium bulb should be used during the day.
    They eat nightcrawlers, crickets, small fish (avoid goldfish) and a calcium&D3 supplement should be used.

If there is one in your pond, it may stick around, maybe that would be easier. But otherwise, they do well as captives.

Justonian

Thanks, for the info. There are dozens of other frogs in my pond so I don't think it would hurt to have one frog in captivity. I'm actually going to keep a female Northern Green Frog. I appreciate your help and will let you know how its going.

Justonian

I have well water and wanted to know if the iron in the water is bad for the frogs. There is no chlorine in my water.

Pluke

I'm on well water too and have heard it's not that great to use. I just buy spring water from Meijer.. so far I haven't had any problems. I've heard spring water is fine.

Thread Information