Thread: Bloating, again

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Bloating, again

I had written a larger post but when I went to post it, my internet froze -- trying again.

I bought nightcrawlers from Walmart about a week ago. I bought "baby crawlers" due to their smaller size -- not sure if those are young nightcrawlers or not? They were put in another container with their original dirt and I mixed some coconut fiber with it and have stored them in my refrigerator.

My big ornate ate about 3 of these worms soon after I got them, gobbled them right up.

Last night, all but 3 of my pacmans ate worm pieces. My ornate gobbled them up as usual. The babies I got from Mike devoured them as well, two pieces each except for the smallest albino which only ate one small piece. Three others ate one worm piece each, but refused another piece (but eagerly ate crickets afterwards). Those three and my big ornate look a little bloated tonight. Could the worms be bad? Should I change out the dirt completely to coconut fiber? The worms were at room temperature before feeding and rinsed a few times with dechlorinated, room temperature water.

And my biggest albino which I force fed 4 small worm pieces (as mentioned in another post) is also quite bloated tonight. <sigh>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

JIvoryII

Default Re: Bloating, again

pics would help

JIvoryII

also why add coco fiber to the worms bedding?.. I just buy them and put them in the fridge rinse and feed as needed.
    never used the baby crawlers so not sure if they are baby night crawler or something else.

Nationality
    [United States]

I never buy the 'baby' crawlers because it's not strange for them to have red wigglers in them (or be a container full of wigglers). If that happened it might cause some problems. Wigglers aren't poisonous to pacs, but they do excrete a yellow goo that pacs don't seem to like and that is actually poisonous to some reptiles. I just stay away from them.
    You can just buy the regular nightcrawlers and cut them into the right sized pieces.

Nationality
    [United States]

I think I'm seeing things ... all are ok except the albino who's been having problems. They were just a bit rounder looking then usual.

Thanks for the assurance that the dirt is ok they come in -- I actually bought two containers and combined them into one larger container and thought they needed a bit more dirt, thus the coco fiber was added.

They are definitely not red wrigglers as I've bought red wrigglers before. They look like smaller nightcrawlers.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Dont feed the little one as much right now. Maybe twice a week. Wash the worms off before you feed them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfrogs View Post
    Dont feed the little one as much right now. Maybe twice a week. Wash the worms off before you feed them.
    That baby is now about the size of the other albino was when you sent them to me. It eats tiny crickets like a little pig and is doing fine. I've mostly been feeding it very small (<1/4" size) crickets on a daily basis, as much as it will eat in about 10 - 15 minutes, about 6 - 10 crickets depending on their size. I've offered pacman food a couple of times (only 2 or 3 times, about the body size of 1/4" cricket, and then the tiny piece of worm only once last night. Am I feeding it too much?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

just feed everyother day. That way it allows them time to pass the food they ate a few days before. Pacman frogs will eat more food than they can digest. When that happens bloating will occur and if the frog doesn't pass the food it will die from the gas buildup.
    Quote Originally Posted by emandkel View Post
    That baby is now about the size of the other albino was when you sent them to me. It eats tiny crickets like a little pig and is doing fine. I've mostly been feeding it very small (<1/4" size) crickets on a daily basis, as much as it will eat in about 10 - 15 minutes, about 6 - 10 crickets depending on their size. I've offered pacman food a couple of times (only 2 or 3 times, about the body size of 1/4" cricket, and then the tiny piece of worm only once last night. Am I feeding it too much?

Thread Information