Thread: Questions about a planted setups for FBT's

Eight

Default Questions about a planted setups for FBT's

Hi guys, firstly I'm new to amphibians and I'm looking at getting my first. Originally I was thinking about dart frogs but I'm really getting into the idea of fire bellied toads.

does anyone here keep theirs in a planted vivarium? I'm definitely going to go the route of a planted viv with a Bio active substrate and I'll take all the advice I can get, such as what are the best plants to use, which creatures are best to use as cleaners, and setup ideas.

I'm aiming to have half or one third of the setup as water, but I've been wondering about the filtration of the water. I know that well established planted vivariums can filter the water themselves with the aid of the right plants, but will it be best to use a filter permanently, and if so which kind?

Is there anything I should avoid using plant or cleaner creature wise?

The most important question to help get me started is what size enclosure would be suitable for a pair of FBT's? I have a spare 45x45x45cm exo terra if that would be suitable?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ApxWingman

Default Re: Questions about a planted setups for FBT's

I would recommend having a filter. I use a filter in my setup and it helps keep the water clean. It will get dirty with dirt falling into the water plus toxins. Fluva filters are highly recommended. This is what I will be getting for my current build.

For a tank size for 2 FBTs, I would not use anything less then a 10 gallon. I am currently building a 50g for my 3 FBTs. They are currently in a 30 gallon tank.

Nationality
    [United States]

I also recommend a fluval filter. They are great filters for fire belly toads! I have 4 fire belly toads in a 29 gallon split tank(added a plexiglass divider) you will be very happy with fbts i just love my guys

Amber

ApxWingman

Quote Originally Posted by 4mb3rNich0l3 View Post
    I also recommend a fluval filter. They are great filters for fire belly toads! I have 4 fire belly toads in a 29 gallon split tank(added a plexiglass divider) you will be very happy with fbts i just love my guys

Amber

Agreed! I love my FBTs. They sing everynight and every morning. They are just outside my bedroom in the living room in my apartment. I go to sleep and wake up listening to them. Very soothing

Eight

Can you give me rough dimensions for a 10 gallon? I really have no idea what a 10 gallon would look like in a terrarium

Thread Information