Thread: My Tree Toads

KingCam

Talking My Tree Toads

Know by some as Tree Toads, known to the rest of us as Grey Tree Frogs

As some of you know, I attempted to breed them this year. It was unsucessful. I will have to build a rain chamber for next spring and try again. I thought I could get them to breed by brumating them, introducing them to an enclosure with a large water feater in the spring, and frequent mistings. I think the mist just wasn't enough. The males did a fair amount of calling, and I even caught a pair in amplux once, but nothing came of it.

Anyway, here are some updated photos of my wet-skinned compadres.

^ Relaxing over the pond :P This water feature takes up 90% of the bottom ground space and it appox. 12 inches deep with twigs and other stuff for the tree frogs to hang onto. There is an aquarium bubble stone in the bottom to keep the water moving and fresh. Water is changed every week or so.

^ Sorry for the blurry photo. You can only take so many shots when attempting to pose 5 hungry hippos in a row XD

^ This is what a grey tree frog does when (s)he wants to shed skin. They inflate themselves and then do a bunch of funny contortions until their skin comes loose. Then they kinda "step" out of it and eat it with a lot of strange looking gulping motions. It is actually alarming the first time you see it.

^ Here you can see the surface of their large water feature. It is probably about a foot deep (12 inches). Lot of twigs and stuff in there for them to hang onto.

My froggy five will graduate to the slimy six tonight. A friend of mine has lost interest in his tree frogs (a grey and a red-eye). I told him I'd take the grey tree frog off his hands.

He would give me the red-eye, too. I'm just not sure if I want it. I've heard they are a little harder to take care of than greys.

What do you all think? Should I go for it and take his red eye, too? I have all the food it could ever need to eat. I breed 3 species of roaches
    Attached Images Attached Images              

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: My Tree Toads

Update: Turns out he already found a home for the red eye I'll just be taking his grey tree frog.

Rae

Awsome picks though I have never heard of anyone calling them tree toads before lol.

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Awsome picks though I have never heard of anyone calling them tree toads before lol.
    Thank you Yes, they are sometimes called that because of their bumpy skin. I think it's a funny name, so I use it sometimes.

VGcatsfan

My first and current frog is a red eye. They are a little confusing at first but, overall they are easy ( or at least mine is! )

lovenokia

how long did it take for your tree frogs to get that size? I am thinking about getting a pair of two whites tree frogs but not sure how long it will take for them to get to the full size.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Love your froggies and your custom enclosure. LOL'ing @ "hungry hippos"

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by VGcatsfan View Post
    My first and current frog is a red eye. They are a little confusing at first but, overall they are easy ( or at least mine is! )
    Thanks much for the input He already found a home for the one he had, but maybe one of these days I'll get one (or three).

Quote Originally Posted by lovenokia View Post
    how long did it take for your tree frogs to get that size? I am thinking about getting a pair of two whites tree frogs but not sure how long it will take for them to get to the full size.
    My tree frogs are wild caught. They were all smaller when I caught them a year ago. Grey treefrogs grow quickly, I think they can reach full size in 2 years. I'm not sure how long it takes a whites tree frog to get big. I personally enjoy watching my frogs grow from small to big, I can't imagine being in a rush for them to be full grown.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade38 View Post
    Love your froggies and your custom enclosure. LOL'ing @ "hungry hippos"
    Thank you haha, that's what they remind me of. If I'm not fast enough to feed them all right at once they start trying to steal roaches out of each other's mouths. It's hysterical!

Thread Information