Thread: My pacman stopped eating!! Please help

Eric Buschman

Unhappy My pacman stopped eating!! Please help

So my pacman all of a sudden stopped eating. His temps and humidity are correct and have been steady since I got him, he used to eat really well but now he won't touch anything. He's really really thin now, I can see the outline of his back I've tried cricket and worms, he doesn't eat either. Please help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Eric Buschman

Default Re: My pacman stopped eating!! Please help

Nevermind everyone! I put him and warm water and he finally had a bowel movement. now I just gotta fatten him up

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Buschman View Post
    Nevermind everyone! I put him and warm water and he finally had a bowel movement. now I just gotta fatten him up
    Has he eaten for you tonight??

Eric Buschman

Just tried, no luck. I'm thinking I'll try in the morning when I wake up for work at 5

Nationality
    [United States]

Just tried, no luck. I'm thinking I'll try in the morning when I wake up for work at 5
    You're probably going to have ti force feed him. If he is starting to lose weight then it is time to force feed.

Eric Buschman

I was afraid of that, how do I do that? What would my "go to man" recommend?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I have two little green chaco's that are extremely nervous critters who have unfortunately never taken a voluntary meal. They are growing and appearantly healthy, but they just won't bite at anything.
    First, if he's underweight, start doing unflavored pedialyte soaks, about 90% water, 10% pedialyte. The electrolytes give them a boost and stimulate appetite (in my frogs case, it just gives them more nervous energy so far.)
    To force feed, take a food item such as a nightcrawler or nightcrawler piece or even better if its thin, an appropriately sized mouse (dip a pinky in calcium D3, they dont have very developed bones) and take a plastic spoon. back the frog into the corner of its terrarium so it cant back up, then with one hand have the food ready to go, and with the other, gently put the spoon between the lips of the frog until it pops its mouth open and insert the food well into the frogs mouth.
    A mouse only needs to go in head deep, a cricket can go all the way in as can a ball of pacman food. Ive never seen a frog spit a nightcrawler out once its in its mouth. My guys will spit pacman food right out, and crickets too, but freak out behind a nightcrawler or a small calcium dusted fish fillet and immediately finish the job.
    Hopefully and probably once the food is in the mouth the frog will get the idea and enthusiastically finish the job. Thats more of an assisted feed and that usually suffices. If not, leave the frog alone for a bit, and next time, insert the food further into the frogs mouth so that its only reaction can be to begin swallowing.

How old/grown is your frog?

Nationality
    [United States]

Ra has the right idea, but to clarify the UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE soak it must be UNFLAVORED. Also the the bath needs to be at a 10 to 1 ratio so for every 10 ounces of water add 1 ounce of UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. Water depth should be no deeper than up to the frogs chin. Soak for 20 minutes and make sure the water is Luke warm.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Ive have to say Ive had to do this "assisted" feeding well over a hundred times, but of course, as soon as i go and say Ive never had a frog spit a nightcrawler out, I go upstairs and what do these guys do...they spit the nightcrawlers out! Naughty even voluntarily bit the nightcrawler, which is a step in the right direction and a first, and then took his right hand and threw it from his mouth. Nervous spit it right out. Guess they just arent hungry yet. the dorks.

Eric Buschman

Well, no luck on the force feeding, couldn't pry his mouth open. How fragile are they? I don't want to man handle him but my gentle approach didn't get anywhere.

Wizzlewuzzle

I've found it to be a lot easier if you can get someone to help you. Like have one person keep the frog from backing away and/or hold the food for you so you can focus on getting the mouth open. It gets easier with practice; I think part of it is being confident about what you're doing. Were you using a spoon or what to try to open the mouth? Try a credit card or something similar. Gently insert it off to the side of the frog's mouth, then apply a bit of downward pressure (like at a "pry it open" type angle), but gently. It shouldn't take much. Have the food ready and waiting close to the mouth to put it in.
    Last edited by Wizzlewuzzle; August 2nd, 2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Autocorrect fail

yarddog

Used to have same problem. wash hands have a large bowl that the frog cannot jump out of with fresh water. 2 methods. first method with bowl in lap and cricket in hand, hold the frog with your thumb against chest. other fingers supporting him. you can usually lightly tap the mouth from the corner around to the other and after a few tries he will normally pop open. helps especially if hes pissed to have another person with the food. 2nd method is the same but take a smooth card hotel key id... and from the corner of mouth gently slide in he will open just to get the card out, if it takes a few tries use the bowl and place him back in if you cant get it after no more than 3 minutes. wait a hour or so and try again if u force feed a few times they learn what you are doing and will pop open just by first tap on mouth.

Eric Buschman

Good news!! He ate a waxworm for me tonight after soaking in the pedialyte solution. It's not great news, but it's progress. Thank you all for your help and support. I truly appreciate it. If I could hug you I would. *virtual bear hug*

Nationality
    [United States]

Good news!! He ate a waxworm for me tonight after soaking in the pedialyte solution. It's not great news, but it's progress. Thank you all for your help and support. I truly appreciate it. If I could hug you I would. *virtual bear hug*
    Lol!! You're welcome.

Keep up the good work he'll come around.

Thread Information