Thread: Grey Tree Frog question?

Rae

Question Grey Tree Frog question?

This may be an odd question but after reading a few posts about pregnant frogs and possible eggs I have to ask.

How long after mating if the female gets pregnant, will she actually lay her eggs?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BerryNight

Default Re: Grey Tree Frog question?

In my experiences, about 12 hours! I didn't believe it but I found my 2 mating one evening and the next morning there were eggs! Go figure! ;p

Rae

thanks that helps... with all the recent talk on here about mateing and eggs I was wondering about the extremely large fat one my daughter just found on Friday but no eggs so its just fat and needs a diet I guess lol.

mrzoggs

From what i understand a female can produce eggs and not lay them. And also doesnt need a male to produce eggs. When a male is present she can put them on the leaves for him to fertilize while hes on her back.

maybe im wrong lol.

BerryNight

Well I found a female grey once under a tarp by a pool with no mate and she seemed fat. She had soft mooshy stuff inside her stomach, or so it felt. After my frogs usually eat, the stomach is filled with a hard substance, such as the cricket they just ate. I found it quite odd and given that she was a female, I figured she was prego. I put her in with 3 of my males when I brought her home and it took about a month of calling and competing for my males to find her. My one grey, Jimaca, I found on top of her clutching hard, one evening and the next morning there were eggs in the water. I am not sure if she had eggs to begin with, to this day, I wonder.

Rae

ooo so she may have eggs in her huge fat belly but needs a male.... problem there is we only got her on friday.... so she has to stay by herself for a few more weeks :/

Kristen

To answer your question, she lays her eggs whilst mating.

Here's a paragraph that explains it better than I can.

"In almost all frogs, egg fertilization happens outside the female's body instead of inside. The female releases her eggs and the male releases his sperm at the same time. In order to make sure that the sperm reach the eggs, the male and female get into a mating posture called amplexus. The male climbs onto the female's back and clasps his forelegs around her middle. Frogs can stay in amplexus for hours or even days as the female releases as few as one or as many as several hundred eggs"

BerryNight

That's a great descriptive paragraph! BTW, why would she have to stay by herself for a few weeks?

Rae

To make sure she isn't sick, and doesn't get my other 2 sick as well. I have always read on here when getting a new frog to keep them separated for 30 days to ensure the aren't sick from purchase or wild. Also it keeps them less stressed, letting them get settled without having to worry about other new room mates as well.

Am I wrong about this...?

BerryNight

I wouldn't say that your wrong, Ive just never did that and maybe I got lucky or maybe it doesn't matter if you keep them separated. All I know is that they face new places and new frogs all the time so I wouldn't think it would matter unless you were putting her in with American green tree frogs because they aren't as used to it. That's just my opinion and I'm not saying yours is wrong. Hope that helps!

Rae

well it would be much easier to put her in right away.... maybe more people will input lol

Thread Information