Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP: Budgetts prolapse...!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: HELP: Budgetts prolapse...!

yes you can overfeed they, they will continue to eat well after they are full.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    Lol!! Wow!! Well I guess feed what you believe is enough and leave if at that. I do have to stop with my young female. She seems to just want to keep eating, but I know when she's full. When she does the hard swallow followed by what I call the belly roll then she is full.

Nationality
    [United States]

I knew it was possible to overfeed. I may just think I am, but really he is getting enough to eat. I haven't fed him for two days now. Should I wait a week or wait another day? I think he's feeling better. He's gone back to trying to eat the bubbles from his bubbler, lol.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by toxxxickitten View Post
    I knew it was possible to overfeed. I may just think I am, but really he is getting enough to eat. I haven't fed him for two days now. Should I wait a week or wait another day? I think he's feeling better. He's gone back to trying to eat the bubbles from his bubbler, lol.
    Wait another day and offer a couple night crawlers. Don't want to risk the prolapse conning back out. So only a small meal of something very soft and easily digested. Normally you want to wait a week for healing though even if he begs. He is probably fine, but I'd wait another day.

Nationality
    [United States]

How is Sharky doing Kitten??

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    How is Sharky doing Kitten??
    He is doing FANTASTIC! He's back to his ol' self. Everytime I pass his tub he tries to eat me through it. I've fed him 4 nightcrawlers in the past two days (two a night) and he's pooped (though, runny) just fine. His intestines haven't come back out. Also, when I go to put more water in his tub he tries to eat the stream of water, lol. He just tries to eat everything! Thanks for asking Grif and thanks so much for the advice! I was a bit scared at first, but am so glad he is doing so much better!

Nationality
    [United States]

He is doing FANTASTIC! He's back to his ol' self. Everytime I pass his tub he tries to eat me through it. I've fed him 4 nightcrawlers in the past two days (two a night) and he's pooped (though, runny) just fine. His intestines haven't come back out. Also, when I go to put more water in his tub he tries to eat the stream of water, lol. He just tries to eat everything! Thanks for asking Grif and thanks so much for the advice! I was a bit scared at first, but am so glad he is doing so much better!
    That's good and you're welcome.

If he continues to have runny stool you may want to send a fecal out to be tested for infection or protozoa. Just incase. It isn't uncommon for them to get a bacterial infection after a prolapse so keep an eye on him.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I've had a difficult time figuring out how these things should be fed, as they seem to have a much faster metabolism than a Pacman frog, and a much bigger appetite too. What I finally decided to go with was a regime similar to what one would do with an African bullfrog. I feed it two days in a row, and give it a day off on the third day, not that this has kept it from biting at the glass, biting at the water and biting at her large rock.
    Quite recently I trapped several minnows from the lake, and it ate eight of them in a row in less than 20 seconds...my plan was to put some in there, let it eat what it would and scoop the rest out after it was done. SO much for my plan. Even after eating a full grown mouse, it would eat again if I let it. She has a hernia, but that doesnt seem to bother her at all as far as eating goes. If anything, its just extra space that food can fit into....
    It was about three fourths of an inch when I got it on June 25th, and now on August 8th, just a bit over a month later its four inches long....

Protozoa can cause prolapse, and runny stool is a sign of protozoa, so you should monitor for any more runny stool and get it treated.

Nationality
    [United States]

I've had a difficult time figuring out how these things should be fed, as they seem to have a much faster metabolism than a Pacman frog, and a much bigger appetite too. What I finally decided to go with was a regime similar to what one would do with an African bullfrog. I feed it two days in a row, and give it a day off on the third day, not that this has kept it from biting at the glass, biting at the water and biting at her large rock.
    Quite recently I trapped several minnows from the lake, and it ate eight of them in a row in less than 20 seconds...my plan was to put some in there, let it eat what it would and scoop the rest out after it was done. SO much for my plan. Even after eating a full grown mouse, it would eat again if I let it. She has a hernia, but that doesnt seem to bother her at all as far as eating goes. If anything, its just extra space that food can fit into....
    It was about three fourths of an inch when I got it on June 25th, and now on August 8th, just a bit over a month later its four inches long....

Protozoa can cause prolapse, and runny stool is a sign of protozoa, so you should monitor for any more runny stool and get it treated.
    I believe Budgetts are opportunistic eaters. If the opportunity arises they will eat no matter if they had a large meal the night before or not. Being in warm water allows for digestion to take place more easily as its more their natural surroundings.

Cool fact about these frogs is that in the wild they are known to stalk their potential prey for a distance waiting for the opportunity to strike. Kind of like Alligators and Crocs.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Cool fact about these frogs is that in the wild they are known to stalk their potential prey for a distance waiting for the opportunity to strike. Kind of like Alligators and Crocs.
    That explains why mine turns and watches everything I do when I'm in the room, ESPECIALLY if Im feeding other frogs or handling prey items.

Nationality
    [United States]

How is Sharky Kitten?

Nationality
    [United States]

How is Sharky Kitten?
    Sharky is doing great! No relapses! And his poo has been solid. Thanks again for your advice. I would have hated to loose him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sharky is doing great! No relapses! And his poo has been solid. Thanks again for your advice. I would have hated to loose him.
    You're welcome. Glad he has recovered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information